Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    Wash your mouth out with soap!
    Icon Audio amps perpetuate the clichÚs about valve amplification. I have yet to hear one that sounded good.
    They don't have the capability to conceive of, let alone build the amplifier pictured.
    I have an ST40mkIII powering a pair of Focal 1028be. sounds fabulous.
    --
    4 TB Drobo-->FW 800-->mac mini-->Ethernet
    Transporter--> Wireworld Eclipse 6 coax-->Meridian G61
    G61--> Nordost Red Dawn-->Primare 30.3
    Primare-->Ocos--Vienna Acoustics Beethoven/Maestro

My Transporter setup

Name:  20170720_174232.jpg
Views: 575
Size:  107.1 KB

Transporter>Eastern Electric DAC+>Marantz sc7s2>Marantz MA9s2>Klipsch P39f

Transporter via XLR to Avantone Pro Abbey speakers

My livingroom setup

I'm new to LMS scene and wanted a Transporter for the last 3 or 4 years. Until I saw the prices people were asking for them used on ebay. Then last year I found this forum and a thread about NIB Transporters on ebay and decided to go for it. Absolutely thrilled with it despite not having a rotary knob. Reripped all of my CD's to flac when I got the Transporter.

That's a Turtle Beach Audiotron sitting on top of the Transporter which was supposed to replace it. I played mp3's with it for over 15 years but haven't had the heart to remove it yet. I haven't played anything through it since August of 2017. An Oppo BDP 103 underneath and an Ouya and Denon AVR 4311 sit next to them.

I don't have any dedicated big boy speakers for listening to music. Just the Polk Audio surround speakers which sound fine to me. I'm not a real 'audiophile'. Or 'videophile' for that matter. The front speakers were placed 8 years or so ago in anticipation of a future larger TV. At the time I had a 42" plasma. It will probably be a couple more years before I move up from the 55" LCD.

The cabinet has cooling fans and thermostat added to it. It contains a DTV DVR, HTPC, NeoTV, Xbox 360 and an 8 port network switch. I ran out of ports and occasionally have to hot swap cables.

A Galaxy Tab View running Orange Squeeze to control playback. It's very handy when I'm busy in the kitchen and it's my wife's main way of controlling and listening to music. She likes it and I think it looks kinda cool. I also have Orange Squeeze on a tablet to use from the comfort of my chair. I have the Denon AVP plugin installed on LMS which is running on a Synology DS1511+ NAS in a back room.

Well done for keeping your Audiotron powered up.
    One of mine is a donor system running Squeezelite (a job not yet finished)
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com/2018/10/r...on-part-1.html
    Given that I managed to persuade TurtleBeach to make it possible to keep a TurtleRadio alive, I can't part with it.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

HI Paul,

I have a dead Gateway rebranded audiotron which I purchases off of ebay with just such a project in mind. Also have an old RasPi. I did some basic research on the pinouts for the ribbon cable and fpc's and started looking for parts to use to break them out into individual wires.
    Technically I think the whole thing would have been way over my head but you are leading the way so I will get back on this following your guide. It would be great to get LMS running on it and maybe an SSD for music storage.

Harry
    Last edited by Harry129; 2018-11-27 at 17:38.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Webster View Post
    Well done for keeping your Audiotron powered up.
    One of mine is a donor system running Squeezelite (a job not yet finished)
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com/2018/10/r...on-part-1.html
    Given that I managed to persuade TurtleBeach to make it possible to keep a TurtleRadio alive, I can't part with it.
    Wouldn't LCD4Linux be better suited for such a device? I can't think of anything in LCDproc that would come close to the scrolling music names the old AT has unless someone has created a client specific to this use since LCDd is the server that drives it but needs a client to write anything other than the server screen to it. I have some white on black OLED displays that will bolt into place but some way to control the brightness would be nice at the program level as they are awfully bright and they do wear unevenly when only certain characters are shown 24/7. The opposite as burn in but similar in effect. Hopefully we will see micro led character displays in the future as they have all the advantages of OLED such as self illuminated, no backlight needed, insane contrast, wide viewing angle but does not have the wear issue. The wear issue is the only thing at all bad about OLED character displays. White or any color on black just does not have the same look on an LCD since the backlight is trying to bleed through the liquid crystal creating the dark background.

One of the things about the Audiotron (I own three, one since 2001) is that one can set up a Logitech Harmony screen to simply show internet radio station names and one touch of the remote screen and you are there, this of course requires mapping the favorites and setting up the harmony to stop before playing the next station or it will only add it to the queue. I had to put a delay in there to pause for a second before starting the next station and have it dialed in perfectly. If I want to listen to Drone Zone, just touch the Drone Zone on the screen, want to switch to Deep Space One? Just touch the screen where it says Deep Space ONE and it's playing with one touch only, no navigating menus. I maintain my station list on my server running Samba after setting the Audiotron to use a local file rather than internet. I also have an Excel tool to edit the list that uses Macros. It only works using Office, Office Libre almost works and it supports Macros but not as well for this tool. I have to prune the list periodically. DI.fm and other sites from Audio Addict such as Radiotunes, Jazzradio, Rockradio etc change tend to drop and add stations periodically. With my method, the Audiotron stock is the easiest to use as a Radio Tuner only.

Probably best to move Audiotron discussions over to the Yahoo Group (my fault for replying in Transporter thread).
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin