Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Minimalist SB setup

I'm looking to set up a SB in my living as the WAF is key since this is "her room" (I have 2 other SBs in the house and will probably get another 1 or 2 more). I'd like to set up the SB with some good quality self powered speakers. Ideally I'd like no sub speaker and just have 2 instead of 2.1. Any suggestions. I've heard the names Swan, m-audio, ane exo bounced around on the net.

Quote Originally Posted by UNCMo96 View Post
    I'm looking to set up a SB in my living as the WAF is key since this is "her room" (I have 2 other SBs in the house and will probably get another 1 or 2 more). I'd like to set up the SB with some good quality self powered speakers. Ideally I'd like no sub speaker and just have 2 instead of 2.1. Any suggestions. I've heard the names Swan, m-audio, ane exo bounced around on the net.

How large of speakers would you/she allow?

I've been in the studio biz for 35+ years and am a big fan of Tannoy or Genelec monitors. All Genelecs are powered, but a bit pricey for a 'home' setup.

There are some great eBay deals on Tannoys. There are Reveal Actives, 600A (I had a pair of these and sold them about 1.5 years ago). The Reveals are nice but the 600s are in a totally different league.

Tannoy Reveal 5As are a newer model and a little more expense than the earlier 'blue' Reveal Actives.

BTW the new Tannoy Precision 6 or 8 Studio Monitors feature a single woofer with concentric tweeter and super tweeter. The response of these guys goes out to 50kHz!! The single-point source gives them incredible imaging!!

Happy shopping...
    Last edited by Eric Seaberg; 2007-12-19 at 23:20.
    Eric Seaberg - San Diego
    A.E.S., I.E.E.E., S.M.P.T.E., S.P.A.R.S.
    eric@seaberg.com

You might check the AudioEngine2, a small, $200 2.0 system that has decent enough bass not to require a sub.

Quote Originally Posted by UNCMo96 View Post
    On the top of the page a description of a little system I set up:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...=19817&page=68

How large? The smaller the better. However, I think she'd rather have larger mains w/o a sub than satellite style mains with a sub.