Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Support suggested that I upgrade to Squeezecenter nightly. I did that, updated the firmware on the machines and... here's my reply to them:
    I did what you suggested, nothing changed.

As a last resort I tried disabling my network card and using the onboard network on my motherboard.

At first it seemed to be working, with the machine remaining in stand-by. But when I was not able to wake up the server from the two Squeezeboxes I realized what was happening.

Both SBs still had the MAC address of the add-on network card saved in memory and so they were sending the magic packet to a card that was disconnected.

As soon as I manually entered the MAC address of the onboard network card and put the SBs back on, the server started. And again, it couldn't remain in stand-by anymore.

Additional information: when the SB is disconnected from the server (if the server is turned off, for instance) and you change settings (as I did for the MAC address), if you then try to reconnect to the server, the SB appears to do just that. It doesn't say "Waking up Squeezecenter", it just says "Connecting to Squeezecenter". If it can't reach the server because it is in standby it then goes blank again and only if you press the power button on the remote it then switches to the "Waking Squeezecenter" message (sending the magic packet).

Now, when I manually changed the MAC address on one of the SBs, to the one of my onboard network card, the server turned back on just on the "Connecting to Squeezecenter" message. As if it didn't need to send the magic packet to wake up the server, even if the network card was set up in Windows as "Only allow management stations to bring this computer out of standby".

Hi gorman

>Both SBs still had the MAC address of the add-on network
    >card saved in memory and so they were sending the magic
    >packet to a card that was disconnected.

FYI: You can also manually set it back to 00:00:00:00:00:00 and SB will learn it again when you connect to SC the next time.

Not sure why you wouldn't see the "Waking Squeezecenter" message, but my guess is that the message can get overwritten by "Connecting to Squeezecenter" quickly in some cases, so that you would not see it.

I can see why support would have asked you to upgrade to the latest SC and firmware as the changelog mentions changes regarding WOL, but these changes are not related to the issue you are seeing. One change was for Transporter only and the other was to allow manual setting of the WOL mac address.

Anyhow, your problem isn't strictly WOL, but when you enable WOL on your PC it also makes your PC not being able to go to sleep again.

You mentioned that you switched to the internal network card - did you check if it let you change what will wake your PC? As others suggested it will only work properly if the network card used allows you to set it to only wake on magic packets, but not on _any_ traffic.

Cheers
    Felix
    Programming is the art of cleverly arranging bits and bytes. - (c) Felix Mueller

NIC Drivers

The two NICs you mentioned are both Realtek based (8111B and 8169S), so despite different branding it is quite possible they have drivers with similar deficiencies. Might want to try a non-Realtek NIC.

Quote Originally Posted by fcm4711 View Post
    You mentioned that you switched to the internal network card - did you check if it let you change what will wake your PC? As others suggested it will only work properly if the network card used allows you to set it to only wake on magic packets, but not on _any_ traffic.
    Drivers offered similar options and no, choosing between any traffic and magic packets only wasn't there.

What I don't understand is that I was led to believe that the XP setting "Only allow management stations to bring this computer out of standby" was the one governing the "magic packets only" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by syburgh View Post
    The two NICs you mentioned are both Realtek based (8111B and 8169S), so despite different branding it is quite possible they have drivers with similar deficiencies. Might want to try a non-Realtek NIC.
    Yeah, it's just that I am trying not to spend extra money. It's not much but I find hard to believe that the onboard NIC of a motherboard designed in 2007 still has problems with WOL...

Update: as the long process with the customer care service continues, I've sort of given up and bought an Intel Pro/1000 PT.

Tonight I'll try to see if it makes a difference. If it doesn't, at least, I'll have the NIC hopefully out of the equation.

It did make a difference. I was able to setup the NIC to answer only to magic packets and that totally did the trick.

I'm really surprised and angry for having gone crazy for so long for what was really a very simple failure on Linksys side.

To have a card out, in 2008, and still not supporting properly WOL... shame on them.

Thanks to all the people who helped here. And thanks for the suggestion, the PCI-Express version of this card is a little beauty, my first PCI-E x1 card ever.

Hey gorman

Glad to hear it works now.

Enjoy
    Felix
    Programming is the art of cleverly arranging bits and bytes. - (c) Felix Mueller

No worries.

BTW - I'm also surprised that cards are sold as WOL compliant, when they actually seem to Wake-On-Link or wake on any traffic at all.

If they (Linksys,Realtek) ever tested this feature, they'd realise that it's completely useless and makes it impossible for the PC to go into sleep mode.

Sadly, this has been common since 3Com was the trusted vendor

They might ask you what percentage of customers are willing to figure this out.

Great to hear it's working