Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

How are your SB3 and PC connected to the router

If the SB3 and server are connected using a combination of wired and wireless, then you may have a bridging issue with your router (some routers even place wired and wireless segments on different IP subnets). How are they connected?

WOL does work-- I have SB3s connected using a L2 switch to the server and WOL works great.

Quote Originally Posted by syburgh View Post
    If the SB3 and server are connected using a combination of wired and wireless, then you may have a bridging issue with your router (some routers even place wired and wireless segments on different IP subnets). How are they connected?

WOL does work-- I have SB3s connected using a L2 switch to the server and WOL works great.
    Everything is on a wired network. Actually... from my last post:

All connected through 3Com OfficeConnect Secure Router (3CR860-95), running
    firmware 1.04. Server and Squeezeboxes are running with fixed manually
    assigned IP on the same subdomain (192.168.1.xxx). Actually, I have
    completely disabled the router DHCP functions.

Ok

I should have read more closely. Sounds like a Windows+driver issue to me, but I've not run SS on Windows, so it's just speculation:

1. Are you sure the driver is waking only on magic packets, and not on unicast/multicast traffic as well? It is common for both to be possible, and as SBs have such a chatty protocol this could interrupt the shutdown process. SB3s are "soft off" and communicate with the server even though they appear to be switched off. SqueezeNetwork essentially replaces the local SlimServer for net radio, so the SB3s will not communicate (often) with your server whilst on SqueezeNetwork.

2. What NIC are you using? What driver version (Windows standard, OEM)? Might be worth trying a NIC with a different chipset, from another vendor, to see whether this changes the symptoms.

I can confirm that my own BSD based SlimServer wakes up at inappropriate times if unicast WOL is enabled, seemingly due to traffic from SB3s. Configuring the NIC to wake only on magic packets completely resolved my problems.

Have no direct experience with this, but hopefully this helps

Uses RTL8111B NIC

I see on Gigabyte's site that this board has a Realtek 8111B based NIC, no idea whether WOL support for this works well in Windows, but the latest drivers reference lots of changes to WOL in the changelog.

I'm using NIC Linksys EG1032 v3 with latest drivers. The advanced properties in the driver panel do not contain WOL entries. I configured WOL through the standard XP Power Savings panel (allow device..., only management stations, etc.).

Ok

Linksys EG1032 v3 appears to be another Realtek chip, RTL8169S

This looks like something I had on my machine (xp). Solution was that the nic settings WOL and WakeOnMagicPacket cause this to happen. Switch Magic Packet to off (start->Settings->Network Connection -> Lan Connection Settings -> Properties -> Configure) and restart connection. Note: different Nics have different settings. Works for me.

Unfortunately, as I have reported, I do not have those kind of settings on my NIC properties settings.

Quote Originally Posted by gorman View Post
    I'm using NIC Linksys EG1032 v3 with latest drivers. The advanced properties in the driver panel do not contain WOL entries. I configured WOL through the standard XP Power Savings panel (allow device..., only management stations, etc.).
    It seems from reading the linksys support site that you should in fact have WOL setting such as Magic Packet in the driver control panel.

If you do not then there seems to be something wrong with the driver.

Also mi seems many people are complaining about the computer waking all by itself and trying to figure out the network status.

I would say you need to check with the support team at Linksys to find out why you do not have the control settings they say you should.

Schatzy

Hello all

If I understand correctly waking up the PC works, but the PC won't go to standby as long a SB3 is connected to SC.

I did some test and this is what I found on my WinXP system with a built in Marvell Yukon NIC:

There is a property called 'Wake From Shutdown', which on my setup did nothing. And another one called 'Wake-Up-Functions' which needs to be set to either 'Magic Packet' or 'Magic Packet and Pattern Match' to wake up the PC.

In the energy settings I do have the two settings mentioned: 'Allow Device to ...' and 'Only management stations ...'. If I only check the first, I get what you reported, the PC won't go into standby as long as SB is connected to SC. However checking both of them allows my PC to go into standby.

This leads me to the conclusion that maybe the Linksys driver is not honoring both energy settings, but only the first one.

I suggest you contact Linksys support, get different drivers or try another NIC.

Cheers
    Felix
    Programming is the art of cleverly arranging bits and bytes. - (c) Felix Mueller