Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Unending trouble with Wake on LAN

My setup:

Server
    SlimServer Version: 6.5.5 - 15249 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
    Running on Intel Q6600 no overclocking, motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev. 2.0, 2 GB 6400 RAM. Windows XP Professional SP2.
    Network adapter Linksys EG1032 v3 with latest drivers.

Squeezeboxes
    Squeezebox 2 - firmware 81
    Squeezebox 3 - firmware 81

Router
    All connected through 3Com OfficeConnect Secure Router (3CR860-95), running firmware 1.04. Server and Squeezeboxes are running with fixed manually assigned IP on the same subdomain (192.168.1.xxx). Actually, I have completely disabled the router DHCP functions.

I followed the instructions and the network adapter is set with the "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby” and “Only allow management stations to bring this computer out of standby” options activated.

I have verified that the machine works correctly with WOL, waking it up from my HTPC using Simplyware's WOL program.

If I have the two Squeezeboxes on Squeezenetwork, the computer goes to sleep (S3 Suspend to RAM) with no problem and remains that way. If I go back to Slimserver, once the Squeezeboxes send the magic packet (Waking up Slimserver...), the server wakes up correctly and all is good.

The problem arises when I have the two SBs connected to Slimserver and I try to have the server go to sleep. The machine prepares for standby, goes to standby and a split second later it tries to restart (which actually has negative consequences because it then enters into a strange loop of "on/off/on/off/etc.", probably not having had enough time to properly go to sleep).

I am 100% sure this depends on SBs because, as I mentioned, if they are on Squeezenetwork, or disconnected from the network, the server goes to sleep just fine, remains asleep with no problem and wakes up correctly with WOL capabilities (eg. my HTPC).

I have already formatted and reinstalled XP from scratch, just to be sure. Now I ask for help, 'cause I think I've tried pretty much everything.

There's a plugin called something like "prevent server sleep" which is intended to stop the server sleeping while it's playing. You might want to make sure that's disabled in case it's causing trouble.

Hmmm... I'll doublecheck at home but before formatting and reinstalling I was still running 6.3.1 which didn't have that plugin and the behaviour was the same.

I should give up but I strongly dislike giving up to machines' stubborness.

I quote understand

I don't know if you've seen this thread. It's quite old but has some people with seemingly the same symptoms as you, even though the settings you have should prevent the problem. Might be useful reading though.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=15523

I read it through.I have the "management stations only" option selected, so I should not be experiencing this behaviour.

I hope some of the developers can look into this. I bought my new SB3 just to be able to adopt WOL on my server (before I had a SB1 and SB2)...

Server (PC) wakes fine for me.

It will wake and run for 2-3 sessions and then SC7 service dies.
    It worked fine with one SqueezeBox using 6 series.

I imagine with two SqueezeBoxes it could get more complicated.
    Last edited by mswlogo; 2007-12-18 at 12:26.
    Transporter/DuetController > SPDIF > Meridian G68 > DSP6000, DSP5500HC, DSP5000

"It's the speakers and room stupid".

My Transporter Setup
    Hitch Hikers Guide to Meridian

I am ready to run whatever diagnostics tools are required to understand what's going on. Computers don't work by magic (packets)...

I've been trying since December 19th to solve this through the http://slimdevices.custhelp.com service. So far, nothing.

The people that are trying to help me did not even have a WOL enable computer to try this. Nobody has so far suggested me how to understand why the SBs are sending magic packets while they shouldn't be doing it.

This is the information I have provided to the customer support so far. As it's not going anywhere I hope somebody will be able to help me here...

My setup:

*Server*
    SlimServer Version: 6.5.5 - 15249 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252
    Running on Intel Q6600 no overclocking, motherboard Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 rev. 2.0, 2 GB 6400 RAM. Windows XP Professional SP2.
    Network adapter Linksys EG1032 v3 with latest drivers.

*Squeezeboxes*
    Squeezebox 2 - firmware 81
    Squeezebox 3 - firmware 81

*Router*
    All connected through 3Com OfficeConnect Secure Router (3CR860-95), running
    firmware 1.04. Server and Squeezeboxes are running with fixed manually
    assigned IP on the same subdomain (192.168.1.xxx). Actually, I have
    completely disabled the router DHCP functions.

I followed the instructions and the network adapter is set with the "Allow
    this device to bring the computer out of standby" and "Only allow management
    stations to bring this computer out of standby" options activated.

I have verified that the machine works correctly with WOL, waking it up from
    my HTPC using Simplyware's WOL program<http://www.simply-ware.com/WolHelp.htm>

If I have the two Squeezeboxes on Squeezenetwork, the computer goes to sleep
    (S3 Suspend to RAM) with no problem and remains that way. If I go back to
    Slimserver, once the Squeezeboxes send the magic packet (Waking up
    Slimserver...), the server wakes up correctly and all is good.

The problem arises when I have the two SBs connected to Slimserver and I try
    to have the server go to sleep. The machine prepares for standby, goes to
    standby and a split second later it tries to restart (which actually has
    negative consequences because it then enters into a strange loop of
    "on/off/on/off/etc.", probably not having had enough time to properly go to
    sleep).

I am 100% sure this depends on SBs because, as I mentioned, if they are on
    Squeezenetwork, or disconnected from the network, the server goes to sleep
    just fine, remains asleep with no problem and wakes up correctly with WOL
    capabilities (eg. my HTPC).

I have already formatted and reinstalled XP from scratch, just to be sure.
    Now I ask for help, 'cause I think I've tried pretty much everything.
    I'm ready to run whatever diagnostic tools to understand why and how this is
    happening.

I have already tried leaving a single Squeezebox on, same problem happening.

Both with SB2 and SB3. When both are on Squeezenetwork the computer goes to sleep with no problem. Even a single one, no matter which one, on Slimserver and there's no going to sleep.

The units are in standby when I place in standby the server.

I already tried disabling all screensavers ("None") while standing by, on both SBs.

I had trouble getting my server to hibernate until I loaded this plugin >>-> http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpo...8&postcount=17
    Works well, drive it with the remote and my server goes to sleep until I want it to wake up.
    A camel is a racehorse designed by a committee.

Seen sprayed on the outside wall of the local library -
    Three things I hate in life :
    1. Vandalism
    2. Irony
    3. Lists