Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

wired laptop connection

In my house I have a wireless router with a laptop and a slimserver that works great.

I want to be able to play the music files on my laptop using a stereo at a different house.

This must be simple, but how can a use the slimserver via a wired ethernet cable and my laptop at the other house? There is no wireless network (or any computers) at the other house.

Ethernet cable is specified for up to 100 metres, just run the cable out the first floor windows.

I got it now

I just had to remember how to re-establish a network connection (this time wired) using the remote control.

amcluesent: the other house is two blocks away and its -17 Celsius outside, I don't think I will run a cable through the window. I'm just carrying my laptop to the other place and connecting the ss via an ethernet cable. Nothing complicated.

Case closed.

Quote Originally Posted by grego.speiser View Post
    This must be simple, but how can a use the slimserver via a wired ethernet cable and my laptop at the other house? There is no wireless network (or any computers) at the other house.
    I've never tried, but I think you need a crossover cable, rather than standard ethernet, for the direct connection.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...rossover+cable

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...rossover+cable

I'm thinking about trying this with one of those new $400 eee PC laptops soon :-) Anyway, good luck.
    'The Buddha resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a computer as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower'.
    -Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance