Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks guys, I'll try this when I get home today.
    My SS sees the 2 players with their unique names; however, I don't think they are getting unique addresses.

Oh, and I'll read up on the signal strength. To be more precise the poor signal is in the basement. It's only about 20 feet from the router, but it is below it. I read in a thread that a wireless signal is bagel shaped. I happen to have an older linksys wireless b router sitting around. can i use any of that hardware to improve the reception in the basement?

Also, a note about my wireless set up. My router had to be placed in my garage by the exterior wall - should I put foil up on the wall to keep the signal traveling to the house as opposed to away from the house?
    Last edited by roll - gybe; 2007-11-23 at 08:23.

Quote Originally Posted by roll - gybe View Post
    I happen to have an older linksys wireless b router sitting around. can i use any of that hardware to improve the reception in the basement?
    I don't think so - most routers can't be set up as repeaters without 3rd party firmware, and 802.11b routers are rather useless these days.

Also, a note about my wireless set up. My router had to be placed in my garage by the exterior wall - should I put foil up on the wall to keep the signal traveling to the house as opposed to away from the house?
    I have never heard of tricks like this. I don't think it would work but I don't have the technical knowledge of it to be sure.

my IP address on the upstairs keeps setting itself to 169.254.126.62 despite entering a different IP adress

my IP address on the upstairs keeps setting itself to 169.254.126.62 despite entering a different IP adress
    That's a fallback address, it means it can't contact the DHCP server on the router to get an address. It means low wireless strength or the router is denying it access because of an error in the encryption key or it being blocked by a router setting (MAC address filtering).

Ok, I have run the network test and I get 100% all the way up to 3000kps. My files are flac.

I have resolved the IP issue, and I now have 2 static IP addresses for the two players. However, the player with the better signal (60%-80%)is now giving me "Rebuffering 0%" every 3rd or 4th song.

I do pick up a trace of a neighbor's signal on my laptop, but it is faint - our houses are over 100 feet apart.

If I change channels on my router, does this affect other hardware (printer) that uses the network? Does it change the wireless key?

This is very frustrating since everything was working normally prior to adding the second box. I have a linksys router which has worked well btw.

However, the player with the better signal (60%-80%)is now giving me "Rebuffering 0%" every 3rd or 4th song.
    Are they synched?

Synch behaviour has improved in SC7, but you will still see this message as it tries to synch the streams.

If I change channels on my router, does this affect other hardware (printer) that uses the network? Does it change the wireless key?
    Yes, it does affect other hardware, but everything will automatically change channels. No it doesn't change the wireless key.

What happens when you swap around the players? Does the same one misbehave?

i have not swapped the players' locations yet.

thanks for the info on switching channels. I'll try that tonight.

yes, i still have the players synched. maybe that is a cause of the problem... I have them synched so i can control player #2 from Slimserver. otherwise, I can only control player #1.

Brings up another question: if i'm synching them at a party, will i need to stand by with a remote control to trigger the next song to play? doesn't sound very promising...

Added Second SB3 - now stuttering & other issues

roll - gybe wrote:
    > yes, i still have the players synched. maybe that is a cause of the
    > problem...

Syncing them increases traffic. So it could be.

> I have them synched so i can control player #2 from
    > Slimserver. otherwise, I can only control player #1.

I'm not following this. I have multiple devices and just use the Web
    interface to control them. Control them separately all the time.

For parties, you can set the conversion to use lower rate lossy which is
    easier to sync and send

--
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/

to clarify on why i have them synched, i started out having IP issues. i played around and the only way i could play more than one song with sb#2 was to synch it to sb#1 - then i could use SS and a playlist.

I'm considering homeplugs... with the linksys gear, would the PLK2000 kit get me hooked up to the router and on the other end, or would i need different gear to hook up to the router? I think i can snake a cable to the original SB and homeplug the new one.

to clarify on why i have them synched, i started out having IP issues. i played around and the only way i could play more than one song with sb#2 was to synch it to sb#1 - then i could use SS and a playlist.
    I looked back through the thread - do you mean you're still having problems with static IP addresses? Are they not unique? Does SS give them unique names?

What do you mean "the only way to play more than one song", did it stop?