Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Added Second SB3 - now stuttering & other issues

Hello all, I've seen a couple threads on similar topics, but there are so many variables, I thought I would seek some help.

I have just installed a second SB3. The first one was working just fine. Its location is on the other side of a thick wall from the router.

Now the original SB3 is stuttering and locking up. The new one seems to work fine. The original SB3 is in the same location. I have a good - excellent signal on my laptop in proximity to the stuttering SB3.

When I installed the new SB3, the only thing I did in Slimserver was to name it. I don't know if they are assigned different IP addresses.

Also, when I use Slimserver, I can only control the original SB3. How do I gan control of both/either SB3s?

Also, I can only get my XM account working on the original SB3. Can I get it working on both? Can I switch compatibility to the new SB3? (saw some threads, but not sure what to do)

Some data points:
    Vista
    Wireless G
    2.4ghz cordless phone
    Wireless printer
    Stand alone house, but i pick up the neighbors networks faintly.
    No change to system that is now stuttering.

Thanks so much for all the help. Please let me know if there are proceedures I should apply.

There is a network test plugin you can use to verify things are working. You should be able to do 2000Kbps at 100% with 11g.

If you unplug the new one, does the old one return to working?

IP address assignment by DHCP or static?

not sure what that means. i just plugged it in and went with it. i don't think anything is static.

Is this when you're playing both SB3's? The same, or different stuff? If when both are playing, does the stuttering stop when the other player is stopped?

Are you transcoding the music on the server? If so, does your server have enough 'grunt' for the job?

Matthew

Server is strong, but running vista. lots of power and speed.

This happens when one or both are running.

Have you tried running the SB3's wired (temporarily)? This would allow us to rule out wireless config and/or interference issues.

M

Ok, I poked around a little IP address is DHCP. I'm not sure that the 2 SB3s are getting discreet addresses. (ha, not that I know enough to really figure it out...)

Signal strenght was an issue - it was dipping down to 20%. I pulled it out of the rack and now it only dips to 50%, so that is better.

Then my wife used the microwave and POW. Nuked.

I think the signal strength is better now. I'll keep troubleshooting.

New issue I noticed last night:
    My 2nd SB3 was only playing 1 song on repeat. I was choosing the song via the remote. When I tried to put in a playlist on the SS, the original SB3 turned on and played. The only way I could figure out how to control the new/2nd SB3 was to synch it with the original and have the whole house play.

1. Anyone know how to specify which SB3 is playing at the moment?
    2. When I move to a dedicated server, how will I be able to play albums on the 2nd SB3 instead of individual songs? I prefer to browse by artist. My orginal SB3 seems to play an entire album in sequence after I choose the first song via browse by artist (this is the behavior I want).
    3. Do I need static IP addresses? How do I accomplish this if I need it?

Thanks so much guys. You need to be on the payroll!
    Last edited by roll - gybe; 2007-11-22 at 10:49.

Quote Originally Posted by roll - gybe View Post
    New issue I noticed last night:
    My 2nd SB3 was only playing 1 song on repeat. I was choosing the song via the remote. When I tried to put in a playlist on the SS, the original SB3 turned on and played. The only way I could figure out how to control the new/2nd SB3 was to synch it with the original and have the whole house play.

1. Anyone know how to specify which SB3 is playing at the moment?
    This is kind of indicating that SS can't tell the two players apart, and that's very bad! It may explain the problems, and it may also indicate that yes, you do have an IP address duplication (although SS should still be able to tell them apart by MAC address).

Have you given a name to your first player?

When you have two SBs connected, the player name should appear in a drop-down list on the right and the player settings should be independent on the left. If this isn't the case, SS can't tell them apart and you'll have problems.

3. Do I need static IP addresses? How do I accomplish this if I need it?
    It's highly advisable, particularly because it looks like something funny is going on. Just pick an address in your subnet, it looks like your router address. Say your router address is 192.168.0.1, your subnet is then 192.168.0.xxx, where xxx = 1 to 256.

Pick addresses OUTSIDE your DHCP "pool". DHCP will typically use 100 addresses, i.e. 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.100, so try 192.168.0.101 and 192.168.0.102 for the 2 players. Just enter this in Network Setup on the SB, choosing "Set manual IP address".

Wireless strength at 20% is unworkable, it may have difficulty getting an IP address at all. 50% is better but it probably won't let you play lossless files.

Also, verify the mac address reported by the unit corresponds to the one on the sticker. There was a bug where it got modified somehow and had to be manually restored.