Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: Several sb3s

Several sb3s

I only have a single sb3 and for the time being don't intend to extend my home network. However I heard a Naim dealer boosting that NaimNet will be able to stream music to several rooms, all perfectly synchronized, if that was called for. Can't Slim Server do this? The suggestion from the Naim dealer is that there would be small time delays. Is this true?

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    The suggestion from the Naim dealer is that there would be small time delays. Is this true?
    No. Sounds like he's making up for himself how the system works. Ask him to explain why he thinks there are delays.

It is true that the synchronisation mechanism isn't perfect (the players re-sync at the start of each track, which can introduce small gaps where there normally would be none).

Personally I have three players and though I don't very often want to synchronise them, it does work when I want it.

This is also an area actively being worked on - I can't remember whether there is anything new in 7.0, but we can look for it being improved.

Ceejay

Thanks for the reply ceejay.

It does sound like NaimNet is trying to diss other streamers. I just cannot understand how they can be remotely competitive. A Naim/Linn dealer recently heard my sb3 and was shocked how this diminutive sb3 can kick out great sounds, especially pertinent when he's trying to sell Linn streamers for GBP 10k.

I have 14 players and usually play with between 4 and 8 synced with no problems. All but 2 are SB2/SB3. If I include the SB1 or SliMP3 in the group then I sometimes see issues so I avoid doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    This is also an area actively being worked on - I can't remember whether there is anything new in 7.0, but we can look for it being improved.
    Synchronization is one of the areas where there are HUGE improvements in 7.0. I have often found sync'ing with slimserver to be hit-or-miss, but with 7.0 it is excellent. Yes, there are sometimes short gaps between tracks when players re-sync, but in general it works very well for me now, and it already worked well for a lot of people with 6.5.

I have tested 7.0 sync. There used to be a small amount of sync delay between players. It was only noticeable if you stood between rooms and listened. It was fairly obvious with electronic music, you would hear a delay in the beat match. It worked well enough for sync between my patio and house for parties.

With the improvements in 7.0 there are no problems. I can stand between the rooms and it will be perfectly beat matched.

So when will the "official" 7.0 come out?

Several sb3s

Club1820 wrote:
    > So when will the "official" 7.0 come out?

Is this a serious question?
    The answer is "when it is ready for release"

which depends on how many bugs it has and how long it will take to fix them.