Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11

    SB3 as an IR repeater

    Is it possible to have the SB3 act as an active IR repeater, simply recieving IR codes and blasting them back out the headphone jack? Ideally, this would be entirely in the firmware, without any server interaction. If it repeats quickly enough, it wouldnt interfere with the original IR code. If it has to go to the server, through an external plugin, and back to the SB3 it could be enough of a delay to cause the device to interpret it as a second button press.
    I need an IR repeater, but would love this as an excuse to get another squeezebox..

    Any chance of this becoming a feature?

    Darren

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    38
    Explain how this could be used. I cannot figureout why you would need this functionality.

  3. #3
    Gregory P. Smith
    Guest

    Re: SB3 as an IR repeater

    On Wed, Dec 14, 2005 at 11:24:56PM -0800, PoW wrote:
    >
    > Explain how this could be used. I cannot figureout why you would need
    > this functionality.


    It would make for a single visible easy to hit target to aim remotes
    at instead of random individual often obscured pieces of equipment in
    an AV center setup, hiding in a cabinet, behind a coffee table, etc.

    -g


  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    38
    Cool I see, would you wire up some kind of driver to multiple ir diodes or would you then feed that signal into an aux control port on the other equipment?

  5. #5
    Justus Pendleton
    Guest

    SB3 as an IR repeater

    On 2005-12-15, DarrenWhite99 <DarrenWhite99.202g3n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    > Is it possible to have the SB3 act as an active IR repeater, simply
    > recieving IR codes and blasting them back out the headphone jack?


    How do you get a headphone jack to send IR codes?

    Justus


  6. #6
    NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9,493
    Quote Originally Posted by Justus Pendleton
    On 2005-12-15, DarrenWhite99 <DarrenWhite99.202g3n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    > Is it possible to have the SB3 act as an active IR repeater, simply
    > recieving IR codes and blasting them back out the headphone jack?


    How do you get a headphone jack to send IR codes?

    Justus
    Use a Xilinx CPLD for the IO and reconfigure its function as needed. Granted, once you are using it as an IR Blaster, you can't use your headphones.
    -k

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by PoW
    Explain how this could be used. I cannot figure out why you would need this functionality.
    See http://www.hot-link.com/ for an example of a product that this could replace.

    I have a cabinet that holds my DVD player, VCR, satellite receiver, stereo receiver, and my SB. But from different positions in my living room, some components do not work, because the IR signal cannot reach them.

    The SB2/3 could sit on top of the cabinet, in clear sight, making it an ideal IR target. You can then repeat that signal to an IR blaster, or to individual IR emmitters inside the cabinet, making sure the equipment always gets the IR signal. So the idea is a simple passthrough. Receive an IR pulse, send an IR pulse.

    Nice eh?

    Darren

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by kdf

    >Originally Posted by Justus Pendleton On 2005-12-15, DarrenWhite99 <DarrenWhite99.202g3n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    >> Is it possible to have the SB3 act as an active IR repeater, simply
    >> recieving IR codes and blasting them back out the headphone jack?
    >
    >How do you get a headphone jack to send IR codes?
    >Justus

    Use a Xilinx CPLD for the IO and reconfigure its function as needed. Granted, once you are using it as an IR Blaster, you can't use your headphones.
    -k
    Is that the answer to my question? Because I dont understand it.

    Darren

  9. #9
    NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    9,493

    Re: SB3 as an IR repeater

    On 21-Dec-05, at 11:33 PM, DarrenWhite99 wrote:

    >
    > kdf Wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Originally Posted by Justus Pendleton On 2005-12-15, DarrenWhite99

    >> <DarrenWhite99.202g3n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    >>>> Is it possible to have the SB3 act as an active IR repeater, simply
    >>>> recieving IR codes and blasting them back out the headphone jack?
    >>>
    >>> How do you get a headphone jack to send IR codes?
    >>> Justus

    >>
    >> Use a Xilinx CPLD for the IO and reconfigure its function as needed.
    >> Granted, once you are using it as an IR Blaster, you can't use your
    >> headphones.
    >> -k

    >
    > Is that the answer to my question? Because I dont understand it.
    >

    well, that's the hardware answer. As for using the feature, just get
    an ir blaster with a 1/8" plug and use that instead of the headphones.
    Download the IRBlaster plugin from gwendesign(dot)com

    -kdf


  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by kdf
    On 21-Dec-05, at 11:33 PM, DarrenWhite99 wrote:

    >
    > kdf Wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> Originally Posted by Justus Pendleton On 2005-12-15, DarrenWhite99

    >> <DarrenWhite99.202g3n (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    >>>> Is it possible to have the SB3 act as an active IR repeater, simply
    >>>> recieving IR codes and blasting them back out the headphone jack?
    >>>
    >>> How do you get a headphone jack to send IR codes?
    >>> Justus

    >>
    >> Use a Xilinx CPLD for the IO and reconfigure its function as needed.
    >> Granted, once you are using it as an IR Blaster, you can't use your
    >> headphones.
    >> -k

    >
    > Is that the answer to my question? Because I dont understand it.
    >

    well, that's the hardware answer. As for using the feature, just get
    an ir blaster with a 1/8" plug and use that instead of the headphones.
    Download the IRBlaster plugin from gwendesign(dot)com

    -kdf
    The problem with the IR blaster plugin is that it is only driven by specific events and for specific equipment. I need something to repeat any IR signal recieved, to control my VCR, satellite, stereo receiver, dvd player, etc. The hardware answer you suggested sounds more like what I would need, but I am really asking for a firmware update that could support this feature.

    Darren

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •