Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

opinions on Windows 7 as a testbed OS?

My recent trouble with the latest Windows builds of 7.4 not including CGI.pm support has me assessing my dev setup. Currently I develop & test on Linux, and tend to very rarely test anything on Windows.

I've got the initial Windows 7 beta install ISOs (ia32 and x64) and some license keys. I know some of y'all are running Windows 7 so, I'd like to know what you think of the idea of using VM technology (freebies from VMWare or VirtualBox) to host Windows 7 beta so that I could do some Windows testing without any reboots? All my packaging/publishing scripts run in Linux on my only Windows box, so rebooting into OEM Vista is disruptive enough that I just wouldn't do it. Is it worth the trouble to install Windows 7 in a VM for testing my SqueezeCenter stuff?

TIA,

Peter
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
    (which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

I can't speak to running Win7 in a VM, but I can say that I installed the 32b beta to a spare HD in my Thinkpad laptop. Results: in a word: ick. It's more tolerable than Vista, but I lost patience with it after about a week's use. I'm back to XP.

I know I'll have to install either vista or win7 within a week or so since it looks like parts of my plugin are broken there.

But I'm not looking forward to the experience.
    Last edited by gharris999; 2009-03-06 at 22:35.

opinions on Windows 7 as a testbed OS?

> it. Is it worth the trouble to install Windows 7 in a VM for testing my
    > SqueezeCenter stuff?

If it's a bit of testing only, without going too low-level, this might be
    ok. Beware though that W7 is still beta, and crashes with some antivirus
    products and SC have been reported. Windows crashes, not SC crashes.

--

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    If it's a bit of testing only, without going too low-level, this might be
    ok. Beware though that W7 is still beta, and crashes with some antivirus
    products and SC have been reported. Windows crashes, not SC crashes.
    OK, good, thanks.

So, um, Gordon, you don't like Vista? ;-) Thanks for the ONN link, and good luck with the plugin fixes.
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.

Why Windows 7? Because of the free beta license? If so, be aware that it will expire on August 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Why Windows 7? Because of the free beta license? If so, be aware that it will expire on August 1st.
    Yeah, that's why. No worrying about the propriety of using my OEM Vista DVD to install Vista inside a VM on the laptop it came with (and angering the WGA system). Thanks for straightening me out -- I was under the impression that the beta license was perpetual. Rats. And who suffers? Folks who want to run my SC plugins on Windows. Nice job, Ballmer.