Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: SBR Volume

SBR Volume

I begining to look at using the SBR in multiroom audio setups where the volume is controlled elsewhere in the system. I know we have the option fix the volume at 100% but that may not match the volume of other sources say to a AV amp. Is it or can it be made possible to fix the volume at a % of our choice?

Quote Originally Posted by garym999 View Post
    I begining to look at using the SBR in multiroom audio setups where the volume is controlled elsewhere in the system. I know we have the option fix the volume at 100% but that may not match the volume of other sources say to a AV amp. Is it or can it be made possible to fix the volume at a % of our choice?
    My VolumeLock plugin is designed to do just that (URL below). Set the SBR volume where you want it, then use the Player Settings area in the SqueezeCenter web interface to set that as the "fixed" volume for your SBR and you're done.

-Peter
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.app/
    (which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

Nice one Thanks

Well as soon as you select other that 100% you are going to be using the DACs in the SBR rather than your AV amp. Wouldn't it be better to set the volume on the amp instead? Many amps have a input adjustment so you can tune the sources to balance them.

In my DenonAVPControl plugin I let the user pick a maximum volume they want the plugin to go to. This essentially could do what you want. You would just pick the max volume amount that was needed to balance the levels. Using this method the SBR is always putting out unmolested pure bitstreams and the AV amp is the only place DAC is going on.
    Chris

You are right but in this instance I do not need the ultimate quality. Being part of a multiroom AV system I'm using L/R phonos and need to match all the source levels and prevent them being changed. That way the room's amps become responsible for the volume levels.

You are right but in this instance I do not need the ultimate quality. Being part of a multiroom AV system I'm using L/R phonos and need to match all the source levels and prevent them being changed. That way the room's amps become responsible for the volume levels.
    OK. Fair enough but since you posted in the developer forum, I thought you were trying to write a plugin.
    Chris

Ok may have posted in the wrong place but thought this could be something for someone to develop or integrate into SC and it looks like they have.