Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bedside table solution

Hi All,

Just got the QNAP TS-109 Pro NAS solution which comes with Twonky and I love it.

Now that I have all my MP3s installed on a NAS box, I want to be able to feed my audio media to my bedroom. I have always loved the Slim solution, but of course, it also requires powered speakers.

Can you guys/gals help lead me towards another Ethernet solution that's more all in one? I'm envisioning an Ethernet connected boom box... Has anyone done anything with Slim Devices software??

- Thanx
    - Jon

Clock Radio

We plugged a squeezebox into the Bose Clock Radio Wave thingy that she had. Fine for a bedroom.

Quote Originally Posted by jonbauer View Post
    Hi All,

Just got the QNAP TS-109 Pro NAS solution which comes with Twonky and I love it.

Now that I have all my MP3s installed on a NAS box, I want to be able to feed my audio media to my bedroom. I have always loved the Slim solution, but of course, it also requires powered speakers.

Can you guys/gals help lead me towards another Ethernet solution that's more all in one? I'm envisioning an Ethernet connected boom box... Has anyone done anything with Slim Devices software??

- Thanx
    - Jon
    I woke up one day a couple of years ago and realized that my Bose Wave Radio that I've had by the bedside for years had an aux input. I started with an old SlimP3 that became surplus when I got SB3's, and now I have an SB3 plugged in to that input. It works great, and is just about the right amount of audio system for lying in bed.

I now have a houseful of SB3's and a Transporter, and I'm completely happy with the system.

Steve Terry

Gotta say - never been a big fan of Bose in general...

If I'm gonna go that route, I guess I can get any powered box with an aux in...

What happened to this:

http://www.engadget.com/2004/11/18/s...icious-colors/

or this:

http://www.engadget.com/2005/03/09/s...h-squeezebox2/

- Jon

this is what I do. works great with the aux in:
    http://www.tivoliaudio.com/product.p...cat=262&page=1
    Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
    Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/
    KHAAAN!...BUNNIES!

These are SB2s, the predecessor of the SB3. The only difference between SB2 and SB3 is the case, they even use the same firmware. They are pretty hard to find these days.

-s.

Hm. I like the low profile case! Why did they take away the low profile option with the SB3?? Seems like a step in the wrong direction...

- Thanx
    - Jon

Right now I'm using a pair of Swans powered speakers in the bedroom. About to move to a new house and I'll be fitting powered ceiling speakers there for a less obtrusive look.

Quote Originally Posted by jonbauer View Post
    Hm. I like the low profile case! Why did they take away the low profile option with the SB3?? Seems like a step in the wrong direction...
    Not everyone agrees. As someone put it, the SB2 looked like a 1970s clock radio, whereas the SB3 looks like a 1990s clock radio.

They still come up on eBay fairly often. They hold their value well, so expect to pay at least US$200 if you find one. Here's one that went last week:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Squeezebox-2-wir...QQcmdZViewItem

Anyway, as for speakers, there is a huge range of powered speakers out there to choose from, with prices from $25 to $2500 (and probably more). A popular choice around here is the Audioengine 5s, which go for about $300 a pair.

I am using Creative T20s right by my bed - stunning performance for their size and price. I paid 40 euros on ebay. A secondhand SB will cost you at least four times this. I also have A5s but maybe they are a too bit big? You could try an Audica MPS-1. This looks good, is supposed to sound impressive, is relatively contained and goes for about 200 euros on ebay.