Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Squeezebox and Local Radio?

I've seen a few comments, but may have missed any direct answers to this. I saw that Roku has a receiver that not only listens to the streaming music from a computer, but has an AM/FM radio as well. I've considered getting another Squeezebox for my bedroom, but I'd want to be able to use it as a clock radio. For me, that means being able to listen to my favorite local station at times instead of Internet radio or streaming my own collection.

I know Squeezebox can already display the time -- as long as it's not playing any music, that is. What are the chances we'll see a different version of the Squeezebox that will play AM/FM radio and be able to work like I've mentioned?

I considered, as an alternative, getting a Radio Shark and hooking it up to my computer, then letting it put out an MP3 stream that Slimserver could pick up, but about half the reviews for Radio Shark hate it because of poor reception, so I figure if I want a box that lets me switch between local radio and everything Squeezebox offers, it'd have to be a Squeezebox with an AM/FM radio built in.

So?

Any chance of this?

Ever?

Quote Originally Posted by HalNineThousand View Post
    I considered, as an alternative, getting a Radio Shark and hooking it up to my computer, then letting it put out an MP3 stream that Slimserver could pick up, but about half the reviews for Radio Shark hate it because of poor reception, so I figure if I want a box that lets me switch between local radio and everything Squeezebox offers, it'd have to be a Squeezebox with an AM/FM radio built in.
    I don't know that I'd count RadioShark out.

My RadioShark (the original version) is attached to my SlimServer host, in the basement. So there's concrete and a few feet of soil between it and the air. Still, I get better sound from it than I do from my 80s-era mid-fi receiver and Terk powered antenna in the same room. It doesn't sound great, but it is much better than the local station's low bitrate Internet streams.

One thing I like about the RadioShark is that it allows me to time-shift radio programs much like a VCR. Sure, the MP3 file for a multi-hour radio show is relatively large, but it's nice not having to listen "live". Whenever I want, I can listen to old recordings -- or tune in to what's currently being streamed from the shark. Having tried the shark, I wouldn't want a playback-only radio device.

BTW, I think RadioTime has some Windows software for time-shifting with devices like the RadioShark. If you're using Windows, you probably ought to check that out.

-Peter
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.com/
    (which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

I think poor reception is a frequent problem with WiFi devices that have Radio and do not have an external antenna.

If you look at the Roku forums you'll see there are plenty of users who complain about the Roku's poor AM performance and who have to attach an external antenna for FM.

I have the Griffin Shark2 and found without an antenna it gets all the local FM stations. It is not well documented but you can use an external antenna with the Shark2 and I use it with my local cable so I can get BBC stations with FM quality.

IIRC The AM reception is not good but I don't use AM much and it is possible a long USB cable would enable a better position away from the various PC related PSUs.

Listen to local stations via Squeezebox

Why not listen to your local stations through the Slimserver internet radio? Radiotime has a lot of local stations organized by city. At my house the sound quality is better throught the internet than over the air.

Play one more for my radio sweetheart
    Hide your love, hide your love
    Though we are so far apart
    You've got to hide your love
    'Cause that's the way the whole thing started
    I wish we had never parted
    Play one more for my radio sweetheart
    More than 49,064 songs on 4,551 albums by 3,084 artists.

Mostly flac, some mp3 and aac.

Version: 7.9.2
    Mac OS 10.13.6

http://db.etree.org/bephillips
    http://www.last.fm/user/bephillips

Radio Time

Hello HAL,

Before I start do you know how the script writes came up with the acronym for HAL9000? I am betting you already know since that is the handle you use, IBM minus one letter each.

Have you tried Radio Time inside of Squeezebox Network? It is free all one has to do is sign up. Put in ones zip code or country and then pick your radio stations that have audio streams to Squeezebox.

I have not played with the alarm setting selections on the SB yet (I wake by whatever song the server selects at random) so I do not know is if one can select a station in the Radio Time Favorites to wake by. If nothing else, one could wake by a song in their music collection then grab the remote and click on Sqeezenetwork, Internet Radio, My Local Stations (Radio Time) and then pick a station.

Hope that helps some. Somebody with more alarm experience might be able to bridge my gaps.