Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thoughts and impressions on Jive remote

After a few weeks using the Jive remote, I thought it was probably time to post some of my feedback. At first, I couldn't really see the point of the remote as I'm quite a fan of the Squeezebox remotes coupled with the on screen interface. However, the whole thing clicked the first time I was in one room listening to music playing in another room - all of a sudden I could control the music even though I couldn't see the Squeezebox. In order to test the device properly, I've also been using it when I could just as easily use the normal remote. I definitely like it, and it works just as well as the traditional approach. I can see that the additional screen space could be a real boon - album art etc. It will be fun to see what people do with it (and I intend to include myself in this list once I've got a bit more time to myself!).

I've been drawing up a list of things I don't like about the device or things that I think should be improved. Many of these are obvious, so are probably already on the todo list (is this list available anywhere?). Here it is, in no particular order:

- In the Now Playing mode, you can't press the middle button on a track in order to get to information about the track. You can do this from the My Music->Artists/Albums/etc lists, so it's a bit inconsistent, not to mention breaking one of the things I really like about the Squeezebox interface.

- When you enter Now Playing, it doesn't jump to the currently playing track - you have to scroll down to find it. Also, this mode doesn't update if you leave it displaying the Now Playing screen and the track changes. Basically, it's not really Now Playing, just the current playlist.

- Navigation through long lists is a pain - it needs too much scrolling. When browsing Albums/Artists/etc, I think it would be better if an intermediate A-Z level was introduced, so you could go My Music->Albums->B->Blue Lines (Massive Attack) etc. Some nice interface that allowed the A-Z to appear as a pop-up overlay over the entire list might work well. It could then slide in and out as needed.

- It should be possible to scroll from the top of a list to the bottom i.e. making the lists circular. This would be a boon if you know you need something from near the bottom.

- It would be nice to be able to choose what appears on the top-level Player menu, as with the current Squeezebox interface. e.g. give quick access to the Albums list.

- It's very far from obvious how to do a backspace in the text entry mode (e.g. wireless password or search). I did find it once and remember it being very unintuitive but have since forgotten how I did it. I've just spent a few minutes trying to discover it again and couldn't!

- At the moment there's an unnecessary Remote Settings level under Settings.

- The clock should be set automatically from SlimServer/SqueezeNetwork.

- The Play button looks too much like a Forward button, especially given it's position diagonally opposite the Back button. It took me a while to realise it was a Play button, after which everything was fine.

- The Power button needs to be much more obvious. It was a few days before I noticed the tiny power emblem in the middle of the Home button.

- There needs to be more instant feedback at power on. Unless something happens the moment you push the power button, you don't know that it's done anything. It took me a while to work out if I was meant to hold the Power button to turn it on or if I could actually just push any button. I probably should be able to turn the device on by pushing any button (maybe with some sort of a mobile phone-style lock option for those with cats...).

- I don't like the volume keys at all. I expect to be able to push them once for a small change in volume in the necessary direction. Instead, you have to hold them. I found this very counter-intuitive - for the first week I actually assumed that the volume control just hadn't been implemented yet as pushing the Volume up/down button briefly several times doesn't cause any change in volume. I also wonder if it might be better to just have one volume key which triggers a mode that you then control with the scroll wheel (like the Transporter). Either way, you should be able to use the scroll wheel once the volume mode is displayed.

- It's actually possible to jam the scroll wheel by applying light pressure to the buttons around it, particularly the Add, Back and Home buttons. I found that I was resting my left thumb on the Back button whilst trying to use the scroll wheel with my right thumb and thus making it almost impossible to turn the wheel.

Okay, that's the lot for now. There's a lot that I like about the remote that I haven't mentioned here, so please don't be put off by the large negative list!

Thanks,

Max
    Some people think the title of this song is irrelevant,
    but it's not irrelevant - it's a hippopotamus.

Quote Originally Posted by max.spicer View Post
    However, the whole thing clicked the first time I was in one room listening to music playing in another room
    Oh, _that's_ going to be a big selling point, particularly with audiophiles. For background listening I generally play randomly or queue up a few albums (from a PC in my office). I really don't need or want to have a remote control handy just for dealing with background music.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Oh, _that's_ going to be a big selling point, particularly with audiophiles. For background listening I generally play randomly or queue up a few albums (from a PC in my office). I really don't need or want to have a remote control handy just for dealing with background music.
    Actually it will for those of us who have our Transporters/SBs hidden away in the equipment closet (or the basement, etc.).

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar_B View Post
    Actually it will for those of us who have our Transporters/SBs hidden away in the equipment closet (or the basement, etc.).
    Oh, I agree that there are uses. I dislike the remote interface enough that a remote control like this would be preferred even if I could clearly see the display. A small laptop, though, is the ideal interface for me.

Senior Software Engineer - Logitech/Slim Devices
    Many of these are obvious, so are probably already on the todo list (is this list available anywhere?).
    Thanks for the feedback. Most todo items are now at http://bugs.slimdevices.com. I think most of the things you have mentioned are already in the list, but please check and add any extra ones.

Cheers,
    Richard

- In the Now Playing mode, you can't press the middle button on a track in order to get to information about the track. You can do this from the My Music->Artists/Albums/etc lists, so it's a bit inconsistent, not to mention breaking one of the things I really like about the Squeezebox interface.
    Bug 5242

- When you enter Now Playing, it doesn't jump to the currently playing track - you have to scroll down to find it. Also, this mode doesn't update if you leave it displaying the Now Playing screen and the track changes. Basically, it's not really Now Playing, just the current playlist.
    Bug 5364 (new)

- Navigation through long lists is a pain - it needs too much scrolling. When browsing Albums/Artists/etc, I think it would be better if an intermediate A-Z level was introduced, so you could go My Music->Albums->B->Blue Lines (Massive Attack) etc. Some nice interface that allowed the A-Z to appear as a pop-up overlay over the entire list might work well. It could then slide in and out as needed.
    Bug 5356

- It should be possible to scroll from the top of a list to the bottom i.e. making the lists circular. This would be a boon if you know you need something from near the bottom.
    Bug 5305

- It would be nice to be able to choose what appears on the top-level Player menu, as with the current Squeezebox interface. e.g. give quick access to the Albums list.
    Bug 5366 (new)

- It's very far from obvious how to do a backspace in the text entry mode (e.g. wireless password or search). I did find it once and remember it being very unintuitive but have since forgotten how I did it. I've just spent a few minutes trying to discover it again and couldn't!
    Bug 5309

- At the moment there's an unnecessary Remote Settings level under Settings.
    Bug 5367 (new)

- The clock should be set automatically from SlimServer/SqueezeNetwork.
    Bug 5368 (new)

- The Play button looks too much like a Forward button, especially given it's position diagonally opposite the Back button. It took me a while to realise it was a Play button, after which everything was fine.
    Bug 5369 (new)

- The Power button needs to be much more obvious. It was a few days before I noticed the tiny power emblem in the middle of the Home button.
    Bug 5370 (new)

- There needs to be more instant feedback at power on. Unless something happens the moment you push the power button, you don't know that it's done anything. It took me a while to work out if I was meant to hold the Power button to turn it on or if I could actually just push any button. I probably should be able to turn the device on by pushing any button (maybe with some sort of a mobile phone-style lock option for those with cats...).
    Bug 5371

- I don't like the volume keys at all. I expect to be able to push them once for a small change in volume in the necessary direction. Instead, you have to hold them. I found this very counter-intuitive - for the first week I actually assumed that the volume control just hadn't been implemented yet as pushing the Volume up/down button briefly several times doesn't cause any change in volume. I also wonder if it might be better to just have one volume key which triggers a mode that you then control with the scroll wheel (like the Transporter). Either way, you should be able to use the scroll wheel once the volume mode is displayed.
    Combination of Bug 5325 and Bug 5302

- It's actually possible to jam the scroll wheel by applying light pressure to the buttons around it, particularly the Add, Back and Home buttons. I found that I was resting my left thumb on the Back button whilst trying to use the scroll wheel with my right thumb and thus making it almost impossible to turn the wheel.
    Bug 5372

I now have Bugzilla ache. ;-)

Max
    Some people think the title of this song is irrelevant,
    but it's not irrelevant - it's a hippopotamus.

So is there actually a piece of useable hardware out there for Jive?

[SlimDevices: Jive] Thoughts and impressions on Jive remote

> So is there actually a piece of useable hardware out there for Jive?

There's that sticky thread showing some pictures of the beta kit:
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=37856

Michael