Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Hi Patrick-

first, sorry to hear you're having such a rough start with this.

Richard, Andy and I have been discussing your issue, and we're fairly convinced that the issue is on the Slimserver side. The theory is that one or more of the CPAN modules that the Debian repos installs is the wrong version for what slimserver needs.

can you run
    perl -MJSON\ 999

and report back the output?

The consensus is that it might be worthwhile to try running (even temporarily) slimserver from a straight subversion checkout rather than from the debian repository. This would be a (hopefully) easy way to isolate where the issue resides.

I'm going to send you an email for ssh access and we can discuss options further.

cheers,
    #!/ben
    Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
    Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/
    KHAAAN!...BUNNIES!

Quote Originally Posted by bklaas View Post
    Hi Patrick-

first, sorry to hear you're having such a rough start with this.

Richard, Andy and I have been discussing your issue, and we're fairly convinced that the issue is on the Slimserver side. The theory is that one or more of the CPAN modules that the Debian repos installs is the wrong version for what slimserver needs.

can you run
    perl -MJSON\ 999

and report back the output?

The consensus is that it might be worthwhile to try running (even temporarily) slimserver from a straight subversion checkout rather than from the debian repository. This would be a (hopefully) easy way to isolate where the issue resides.

I'm going to send you an email for ssh access and we can discuss options further.

cheers,
    #!/ben
    No problem - it's what beta testing is about!

I think it's also worthwhile debugging the ubuntu packaging issues too, I know windows has to be the focus, but ubuntu seems to be gaining a bit in popularity these days.

$ perl -MJSON\ 999
    JSON version 999 required--this is only version 1.00.
    BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.

Ubuntu is important to us, so don't worry about that. These debian issues will need to get fixed, and this helped us identify a fairly serious issue with module dependencies.

Libjson 1.00 is a couple of years old. The debian repository is sadly behind for this module.

Andy is going to look at including our CPAN directory (that has the correct modules) in our package, thus circumventing the dependency to debian's out-of-date libjson. Stay tuned on that.

In the meantime, my best suggestion at this point is to use a subversion checkout for slimserver. Steps would go something like this (this is off the top of my head):

kill any running slimserver process
    cd ~
    svn co http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/slim/trunk
    cd trunk/server
    sudo perl Bin/build-perl-modules.pl
    (follow directions from script)
    ./slimserver.pl

this potentially will get you to the point of trying out your jive HW while the debian package is being fixed.

cheers,
    #!/ben
    Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter

KHAAAN!...BUNNIES!

What about if I pull libjson down from CPAN?

I tried subversion on ubuntu a while back and it was problematic because of the lack of a compatible startup script (never had any problems on Clark Connect which I ran previously). Because this server also runs mythtv for the household, I can't afford too much downtime on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    What about if I pull libjson down from CPAN?

I tried subversion on ubuntu a while back and it was problematic because of the lack of a compatible startup script (never had any problems on Clark Connect which I ran previously). Because this server also runs mythtv for the household, I can't afford too much downtime on it.
    try it from CPAN. worth a shot. If it doesn't work, run
    perl -MJSON\ 999
    again and report the version here.

I'm not sure how having a startup script or not has anything to do with MythTV running or not running. If slimserver doesn't start on boot, how does that effect MythTV? Do you have them doing some communication between each other? I like working startup scripts too, just don't understand how that makes a difference here.

Regardless, I wasn't really suggesting the subversion checkout as anything but a workaround for now as we get the Debian package fixed. Your call on that one.

#!/ben

KHAAAN!...BUNNIES!

NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Dixon View Post
    I run Knoppmyth, which is based on debian (as is Ubuntu). I've been using svn with the startup, defaults and directory structure used here:
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cg...StartupScript3

The .deb for SS was based on these, but using them yourself is a bit less rigid than what the .deb does to your system. I had no troubles with apt-get install subversion
    -kdf

Ben, it was more that things crashing tend to have a bit of a knock on effect ... for example, the multiple slimserver-safe starts on install did terrible things to system throughput and mythtv froze as a result.

Anyway, I'm now on JSON 1.14 via CPAN and I have a choice of Players!!! Thanks all for your help, I'm sure I can break some more things once I start to play with it ...

7 looks good - although I do have a minor fishbone bug for kevin ;-) In Album view, if you click on an album with no artwork, the close frame X gets lost behind the track data and you can't close the new frame (Firefox). Do you want me to open a bug for it?

Bug report isn't really needed, as it's on my list. To be frank, the main reason it isn't fixed is that I'm still not sure I want to keep it. It slow, and it isn't in keeping with where the UI seems to be going.

-kdf

Oh, OK. It doesn't seem too slow on my system, and I thought the fishbone changes in general slicken it up, but I guess there's new default skins and jive and stuff.

The fishbone skin is also relying on stuff that was added to the basic skin (album popup, tree-like browse, drag&drop with the idea that other skins would make use of it. However, it's all based on prototype and scriptaculous. Everything being done now uses extjs. Loading both isn't always giving good results.

-kdf