First Impressions - Jive hardware/software

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bpa
    • Oct 2005

I found the wifi reception not great so get close to the WAP.

If you have an SD card - it may be helpful to upgrade firmware manually by copying jive.bin from the nightly to the SD.

Comment

• Siduhe
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by kdf
      If you back out of that setting, then go back, is it still saying Europe? At one point, the firmware wasn't handling anything other than America, thus CH13 would be invalid. I'm not sure which firmware version you might have, but it's an easy one to work around:

Try changing channels temporarily.

-kdf
      Same here - Will not stick on "Europe" and keeps reverting to US & Mexico. Works if I select a lower channel.
      Who am I on LAST.FM?
      "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Comment

• Patrick Dixon
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Patrick Dixon
        Well you're doing better than me. I can't get SS7 installed. The battery was no problem though ....
        Can anyone who understands perl here help please.

SS7 appears to depend on libjson-xs-perl & libfile-next-perl, neither of which are installable on ubuntu and via CPAN. They also don't appear to exist in the SS7 nightly tar file - so I am dead in the water as far as testing this remote is concerned.

What are these modules, and why are they not available to me - and more importantly how do I install them?
        www.at-tunes.co.uk

Comment

• Ben Sandee

[SlimDevices: Jive] First Impressions - Jive hardware/software

On 9/18/07, Patrick Dixon <
          Patrick.Dixon.2x3pan1190110201 (AT) ...limdevices.com> wrote:
          >
          >
          > Patrick Dixon;227669 Wrote:
          > > Well you're doing better than me. I can't get SS7 installed. The
          > > battery was no problem though ....

>
          > Can anyone who understands perl here help please.
          >
          > SS7 appears to depend on libjson-xs-perl & libfile-next-perl, neither
          > of which are installable on ubuntu and via CPAN. They also don't
          > appear to exist in the SS7 nightly tar file - so I am dead in the water
          > as far as testing this remote is concerned.
          >
          > What are these modules, and why are they not available to me - and more
          > importantly how do I install them.

They are on debian.slimdevices.com, if you are using Ubuntu then add the
          'unstable' repository to your sources.list.

Ben

Comment

• Patrick Dixon
            • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Ben Sandee
            Patrick.Dixon.2x3pan1190110201 (AT) ...limdevices.com> wrote:
            >
            >
            > Patrick Dixon;227669 Wrote:
            > > Well you're doing better than me. I can't get SS7 installed. The
            > > battery was no problem though ....

>
            > Can anyone who understands perl here help please.
            >
            > SS7 appears to depend on libjson-xs-perl & libfile-next-perl, neither
            > of which are installable on ubuntu and via CPAN. They also don't
            > appear to exist in the SS7 nightly tar file - so I am dead in the water
            > as far as testing this remote is concerned.
            >
            > What are these modules, and why are they not available to me - and more
            > importantly how do I install them.

They are on debian.slimdevices.com, if you are using Ubuntu then add the
            'unstable' repository to your sources.list.

Ben
            Thanks Ben

However I have
            deb http://debian.slimdevices.com unstable main
            in sources.list
            and it doesn't find them. Something, somewhere, in the debian install seems broken.

OK - I've just looked and the 386 version appears very different to the amd64 version - which I guess I'm on. Who is maintaining the debian build?
            Last edited by Patrick Dixon; 2007-09-18, 15:42.
            www.at-tunes.co.uk

Comment

• Ben Sandee

Patrick.Dixon.2x41sn1190126401 (AT) ...limdevices.com> wrote:
              >
              > However I have
              > deb http://debian.slimdevices.com unstable main
              > in sources.list
              > and it doesn't find them. Something, somewhere, in the debian install
              > seems broken.

It's working for me, I'm tracking unstable using Ubuntu gutsy. What happens
              when you do this:

sudo apt-get install libjson-xs-perl

and/or

sudo apt-cache show libjson-xs-perl

Maybe paste your sources.list and make sure you've done an apt-get update
              recently.

Ben

Comment

• Patrick Dixon
                • Apr 2005

Patrick.Dixon.2x41sn1190126401 (AT) ...limdevices.com> wrote:
                >
                > However I have
                > deb http://debian.slimdevices.com unstable main
                > in sources.list
                > and it doesn't find them. Something, somewhere, in the debian install
                > seems broken.

It's working for me, I'm tracking unstable using Ubuntu gutsy. What happens
                when you do this:

sudo apt-get install libjson-xs-perl

and/or

sudo apt-cache show libjson-xs-perl

Maybe paste your sources.list and make sure you've done an apt-get update
                recently.

Ben
                root@mediaserver:/home/dixon# apt-get install libjson-xs-perl
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree
                Reading state information... Done
                Package libjson-xs-perl is not available, but is referred to by another package.
                This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
                is only available from another source
                E: Package libjson-xs-perl has no installation candidate

I bet you are on 386 - I suspect this is an amd64 issue with the unstable repo.
                www.at-tunes.co.uk

Comment

• Ben Sandee

Patrick.Dixon.2x42pz1190127602 (AT) ...limdevices.com> wrote:
                  >
                  >
                  > I bet you are on 386 - I suspect this is an amd64 issue with the
                  > unstable repo

I'm sure you are right. It would be nice if Logitech packaged up a source
                  repository so that you could use the standard Debian build techniques to
                  build for alternate architectures on your own.

Ben

Comment

• rtitmuss
                    Senior Software Engineer - Logitech/Slim Devices
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by kdf
                    If you back out of that setting, then go back, is it still saying Europe? At one point, the firmware wasn't handling anything other than America, thus CH13 would be invalid. I'm not sure which firmware version you might have, but it's an easy one to work around:

Try changing channels temporarily.
                    That's right. Earlier firmware versions did not change the wireless region correctly. I have just tested the latest version here, and channel 13 is working fine.

Can you see what firmware version you have installed (look in Settings > Remote Settings > Advanced Settings > About Jive).

Assuming this is an old firmware, as a work around you'll need to change the channel on your access point temporarily.

Cheers,
                    Richard

Comment

• Patrick Dixon
                      • Apr 2005

Patrick.Dixon.2x42pz1190127602 (AT) ...limdevices.com> wrote:
                      >
                      >
                      > I bet you are on 386 - I suspect this is an amd64 issue with the
                      > unstable repo

I'm sure you are right. It would be nice if Logitech packaged up a source
                      repository so that you could use the standard Debian build techniques to
                      build for alternate architectures on your own.

Ben
                      I've managed to install the missing modules with CPAN, and use equivs to fool apt-get that the dependencies had been satsfied, and it's now scanning the library.

I've filled bug 5509 against the debian packager/installer
                      www.at-tunes.co.uk

Comment

• Patrick Dixon
                        • Apr 2005

OK, no problems getting the jive remote connected to the network, seeing SS, and updating its firmware, but the choose player menu is completely empty (there are 2 SB3s one wired, one wireless). I've reset everything but it still it can't see any players.

Any ideas?
                        www.at-tunes.co.uk

Comment

• rtitmuss
                          • Apr 2005

OK, no problems getting the jive remote connected to the network, seeing SS, and updating its firmware, but the choose player menu is completely empty (there are 2 SB3s one wired, one wireless). I've reset everything but it still it can't see any players.
                          I think that's a side effect of a change that Ben made earlier. I'll check with him.

Comment

• rtitmuss
                            • Apr 2005

Any ideas?
                            Can you update slimserver and try again, I think this should be fixed now.

Comment

• pfarrell
                              • Apr 2005

Mandriva install, got it working

Got my Jive control yesterday.
                              My wife picked it up and got music playing. Cover art displays.

I'm running Mandriva 2007, which has trouble with the installs because of some really dumb decisions that the Mandriva distro folks made. Had to manually install some CPAN modules. Not really Slim's issue. Got it up in under a half hour, even with false starts.

Very cool. Album art has bugs when there are multiple albums per artist. "Now Playing" seems to be missing, or at least I can't guess how to get the current playlist displayed.

Time on the remote is way off, not just the hour, but minutes are wacko. It should be able to get the time from NTP, one of my servers is active on the pool.ntp.com so I keep real good time.

The install of SS 7 broke the names of some of my SqueezeBoxen, which I fixed through the old HTML interface, I got to the place in the Jive to change it, but entering characters one at a time with the scroll wheel is not my idea of fun. The new name is not picked up by the Jive home -- it shows the raw IP numbers.

I can't find any settings for the remote itself.

It found my WiFi access point and SS itself, found the libraries, shows the album art, etc. I'm impressed.

Pat
                              Pat
                              http://www.pfarrell.com/music/slimse...msoftware.html

Comment

• Patrick Dixon
                                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by rtitmuss
                                Can you update slimserver and try again, I think this should be fixed now.
                                Hi Richard

Unfortunately, there are also now no options on the Software Update page - so I think I'm dead in the water.

I have no options under Choose Player and no options under Software Update.

I've updated Slimserver and factory reset the Jive handset.

I can ssh in - can I update the firmware that way?
                                Last edited by Patrick Dixon; 2007-09-19, 10:24.
                                www.at-tunes.co.uk

Comment

Working...