Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Question Albums split across duplicate entries…. I tried, and failed to fix it.

All,

I’m a fairly recent squeezebox convert. I was so please with the hardware I bought a second SB3 one week after receiving the first. However I’m having a few problems with the server software. I have been battling it on an off for the last month (whenever I get time) Now I have to admit defeat - I just don’t understand why its behaving the way it is.

The problem is that Slimserver is splitting some albums across several entries in the album list, each of which contains a few tracks. It only does it with a few albums but it does it enough to make browsing very frustrating.

For example take the Beatles 1967-1970 (Disc 1) which is stored in the following directory structure:

Audio
    *The Beatles
    **1967-1970 (Disc 1)

Two tracks: “A Day In The Life” and “Hello, Goodbye” are in the same directory (Audio\The Beatles\1967-1970 (Disc 1)). However the album 1967-1970 (Disc 1) appears several times in the album list and these two tracks are listed separately.

These were ripped a while back in my ipod days, but I have checked the tags in Mp3tag and they are consistent.

The properties of these two tracks are:

Title: A Day In The Life
    Artist: The Beatles
    Album: 1967-1970 (Disc 1)
    Genre: Classic Rock
    Track: 6
    File Format: MP3
    Duration: 5:04
    Year: 1973
    File Length: 3,659,974 Bytes
    Bitrate: 96kbps CBR
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    ID3 Tag Version: ID3v2.3.0
    Location: D:\Audio\The Beatles\1967-1970 (Disc 1)\The Beatles - 1967-1970 (Disc 1) - 06 - A Day In The Life.mp3 (Download)
    Date Modified: Friday, December 29, 2006, 12:51:57 AM

and,

Title: Hello, Goodbye
    Artist: The Beatles
    Album: 1967-1970 (Disc 1)
    Genre: Classic Rock
    Track: 9
    File Format: MP3
    Duration: 3:18
    Year: 1973
    File Length: 2,380,386 Bytes
    Bitrate: 96kbps CBR
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    ID3 Tag Version: ID3v2.3.0
    Location: D:\Audio\The Beatles\1967-1970 (Disc 1)\The Beatles - 1967-1970 (Disc 1) - 09 - Hello, Goodbye.mp3 (Download)
    Date Modified: Friday, December 29, 2006, 12:51:59 AM

It’s pretty obvious that they are from the same album, and I know the tags are reasonable because both Windows Media Player and iTunes correctly list both these tracks as one album. Slimserver gets it completely wrong, yet strangely it gets Disc 2 right!?

I started out with Slimserver version 6.5.2 and have gone back to 6.2.2 but that did not fix it. I have not tried 6.5.3 yet, but this kind of behaviour is not listed in the readme. I also searched the forum, but came up blank. Can anyone give me a clue what I’m doing wrong as I’m completely stumped :-(.

Thanks in advance……………..

D

That is a strange one. I can't see anything that would suggest why SS has got those wrong. I'm assuming the info you listed is taken from the SS web interface, yes?

I can only suggest stopping SS, deleting the cache and restarting. P'raps it just needs a lie down!

Thanks for taking time to reply moley6knipe. Unfortunately I have tried that several times over the last few months. That said, the last thing I did was removed the comments from some of the tags and then I did not do a full rescan (it takes soooo long) so I'll give that a go tonight and report back.

thanks

D

Have you got any disc number tags set?

You can also have several different tag types set - say ID3v2.3 and 2.4 - which may not contain the same data. You can fix this in MP3Tag by going to options > tags > mpeg, checking all the read and remove checkboxes, setting it to write only those you want, and then selecting your entire library, do Ctrl-X (cut) and then Ctrl-V (paste).

Or just rerip them - 96kbps, really!

Adam
    PC, JRiver/Qobuz, Digital XO, Asus Xonar u7, Restek Sextet, JBL L300
    LMS: 3xBoom, 1xRadio, SB3

I am having the same problem. I had been running an older version of Slim Server (not sure which one, at least 18 months old) until today when I decided to upgrade. Now, about 1/3 of my artists have duplicate entries for a single album.

Here is an example of what I see:
    http://burningshore.com/pics/misc/slimserver.JPG

Alice in Chains' "Dirt" has four entries. The entire album was ripped from a CD at the same time, years ago. All tags are marked as ID3v2.3.0. All songs on the album are in the same folder.

I did not have this problem until I upgraded to 6.5.4 today.

Any ideas?

UPDATE - Just before going to bed, I was going to try to revert back to an older version of the Slimserver. I could not find one for download, so instead I tried the nightly build (6.5.5) and re-scanned the entire library. This fixed the issue. I'm not sure if the fix was in the new version or something else, but it seems to be back to normal.