Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Possible to use SlimServer as Music on Hold server?

I'm in the process of implementing VOIP and wondered it if might be possible to use my existing SlimServer as a 'Music on Hold' server. Has anyone done this?

Thanks,

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by twynne View Post
    I'm in the process of implementing VOIP and wondered it if might be possible to use my existing SlimServer as a 'Music on Hold' server. Has anyone done this?
    You'd need a client to do playback through a soundcard, so you could use SoftSqueeze or SqueezeSlave connected to SlimServer and play a playlist or random mode or whatever you plan.

I can't see any advantage, though, over just using music playback software such as Winamp directly accessing the audio files and playing a playlist.

Gadfly, Former Founder Slim Devices dean's Avatar

Re: Possible to use SlimServer as Music on Hold server?

I remember seeing this Wiki page for using SlimServer with Asterisk to do music on hold:

http://www.voip-info.org/tiki-index....ic%20on%20Hold

Yep, I think asterisk would be the way to go here! Can play mp3 and if you tinker arround a bit flac as well. It's using mpg321 or 123 and might be fairly easy to teach to play with flac or alac.
    If you've got a linux box would be easy to set up. Preferably Debian and then just aptitude. Well after a bit of reading I'd presume. The advantage is that you can easyly integrate with ISDN or analog hardware. Keyword "Zaptel".