My Silent Mini-iTX server/player

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • markwm
    • Jul 2007

I like the LC-07 better too. Those Nano-iTX boards are expensive though.

Comment

• brooky
      • Sep 2005

I have to say I agree actually. I wasn't sure from the website if there is room for a hard disk on the LC07.. Must be..

I agree about the nano boards. They are a bit pricey (in comparison). I'm quite taken on the Travla C158 too. CD comes off the side so the front panel is blank. Its quite nicely priced too.

What I'd love to do ideally is to find a case that a SqueezeBox can sit in too and have a complete solution.

Comment

• mflint
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by brooky
        I have to say I agree actually. I wasn't sure from the website if there is room for a hard disk on the LC07.. Must be..
        According to the manufacturer, there is no room in the LC07 for an internal disk [1]. LC08 will accomodate a 3.5" drive [2] [3].

[1] LC07 product page
        [2] LC08 product page
        [3] LC08 manual

Matthew
        Last edited by mflint; 2007-08-31, 13:25. Reason: added reference 3

Comment

• Fifer
          • May 2005

Thanks for this thread. I'm in the process of building something vaguely similar (server only, my Transporter and Squeezebox will stay the way they are) to replace my QNAP TS-101, based on mick_w's project. I might build a more powerful and prettier version if my first attempt works out ok, but for now, I'm seeing how cheaply I can do it.

I've bought a a used Epia M10000 Nehemiah board with 256MB Ram from eBay for £49.50 (inc shipping) and a Cubid 2699 mini-ITX cas for £55 (inc shipping). I've spotted a 320GB from eBuyer for £40.50 (inc delivery) and I'll use ClarkConnct (free) which totals at £145. I might need to replace the memory with 512MB or a 1GB, but I'll see how the 256MB goes first.

I know the M10000 has a processor fan, but it's reported to be virtually silent and in any case, the server will be in my study, not my listening room.

Comment

• franko180
            • Nov 2007

I was wondering something about these silent/fanless PCs. If these PCs are left online 24/7, is it possible to use the power management to put them into a completely quiet mode (HDD powered down), so they can then be spun back up with the movement of a mouse or file access when the user needs it?

When I think back to the old days of DOS6.22 and maybe Windows 3.11 I'm pretty sure a hdd in energy saver mode would spin down and not spin back up until the USER wanted it to, but with XP would the OS insist on accessing the hdd sometimes?

Comment

• gharris999
              • Apr 2005

Some linux power saving tips here: http://www.ulverston.myzen.co.uk/min...ges/tuning.htm

..and here: http://www.lesswatts.org/

Comment

Working...