Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Netscape saved me from ditching Squeezebox

When I got my SB3 a few months ago, life was beautiful. I was amazed that such a sophisticated combination of hardware and software could work perfectly "out of the box". Then, as I ripped my way through some 800 CDs, things began to deteriorate. Slimserver was constantly crashing, freezing, refusing to load or update one or both parts of the window. I could usually get the music to play somehow, but was getting increasingly disgusted, and my wife wouldn't even touch the system. I tried many things, including reinstalling Slimserver, and changing various settings, but without any improvement. I seriously thought about abandoning the whole thing. Finally, last weekend, I switched from Internet Explorer to Netscape. The system runs perfectly again! I don't know why, and I don't claim to be an expert, but I'm posting in case my experience can be of use to someone else.

There are a few memory leaks that can cause problems, as the page reloads so frequently. Anyway, try Mozilla Firefox, which is more up-to-date than Netscape, but has the same 'engine', IIRC.

Adam
    PC, JRiver/Qobuz, Digital XO, Asus Xonar u7, Restek Sextet, JBL L300
    LMS: 3xBoom, 1xRadio, SB3

Quote Originally Posted by adamslim View Post
    There are a few memory leaks that can cause problems, as the page reloads so frequently. Anyway, try Mozilla Firefox, which is more up-to-date than Netscape, but has the same 'engine', IIRC.

Adam
    Next you'll be installing Ubuntu, and you'll wonder why MS is still in business

Quote Originally Posted by moshulu View Post
    When I got my SB3 a few months ago, life was beautiful. I was amazed that such a sophisticated combination of hardware and software could work perfectly "out of the box". Then, as I ripped my way through some 800 CDs, things began to deteriorate. Slimserver was constantly crashing, freezing, refusing to load or update one or both parts of the window. I could usually get the music to play somehow, but was getting increasingly disgusted, and my wife wouldn't even touch the system. I tried many things, including reinstalling Slimserver, and changing various settings, but without any improvement. I seriously thought about abandoning the whole thing. Finally, last weekend, I switched from Internet Explorer to Netscape. The system runs perfectly again! I don't know why, and I don't claim to be an expert, but I'm posting in case my experience can be of use to someone else.
    It wasn't SlimServer crashing. The problems were issues with the web interface in Internet Explorer. The web interface has never worked particularly well with IE, so it's best to avoid it if you can.

I agree with the above advice. Get Firefox.

One problem (that I think still exists) with SlimTray is that it will open the web interface in the default browser. If that's still IE then you should not use SlimTray to open the web interface. Instead, create a convenient shortcut to Firefox and either make the SlimServer page your home page or create a bookmark to it in the bookmark toolbar.

The web interface has never worked particularly well with IE
    Never have had a single problem.

Same here. IE 6 and IE 7 just work (slimserver running on Linux)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperQ View Post
    Next you'll be installing Ubuntu, and you'll wonder why MS is still in business
    Better yet Mint!