Design miss in SB3 digital output? or Slimserver problem ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • omega
    • Jan 2007

One more thing..

when you try this "PAUSE" fix..

You have to try on varius Tracks / Different Music.
    It´s easier to hear on some music / Good recordings.

Steel Guitars (Not disted) Live for example.

Listen on recording with a lot of "Room" in it.

Listen for change in "Stereo" depth sonic image, upper high high frequency !

Space and reverbation of instruments.
    Like Piano string etc.

Once you her it´s easy to pick up the change from more and more tracks.

/Mats :-)

Comment

• seanadams
      Founder, Slim Devices
      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by zanash
      I'm one of those open minded people that will give things a go before passing comment ....
      Me too, and I wish Omega were open minded enough to consider the possibility that his mind is involved in the hearing process. I think he should give that theory a go before passing comment.

Comment

• zanash
        • Jun 2007

My unit is wireless .....

as to the rest I know very little ....

but its odd to have a similar issue ?
        Acoustician and builder of interesting cables

Comment

• omega
          • Jan 2007

Hi Again!

seanadams, you say you can´t hear "The effect"
          What Stereo gear did you use during the test? External DAC ? and fixed output in player setting, Stream Flac as Wave etc?
          How many tracks did you test ? For how long did you test?, Had you allready make up your mind?

What Speakers etc ? It´s harder to hear "The effect" trough headphones (I haven´t tried this , but "hammer65" have)

Can you tell me what appens when i press power off on the SB3? (Even if you can´t hear this thing, And think it´s only in my and hammer65 minds.)
          I think there is some Digital Synk reset or buffer thing during power OFF?

And when you change track, the digital synkrionsation between SB3 and external dac gets "Out of synk" ?
          I think it´t a easy to fix if you know what happens during Power on/oFF, Change track etc.

Me and "Hammer65" are thinking about to measure this through the analogoutputs from our external dacs.
          And do a full 3D spektrum analyze on it.

seanadams, do you have measure equipment ?

I have the "Digital Outputs Always at on" Setting in Slimserver / SB3.

I haven´t test the internal Dac i don´t think anyone will be able to hear "The Effect" trough the SB3 Analog outputs.?

If i change the volume from "Fixed" to "Adjustable" in player settings, Then the "PAUSE" Fix don´t work. (We are not able to hear any differance)
          But as a wrote earlier the "Fixed" sounds way better than "Adjustable"

It´s easier to hear on my system because i have a "A universally applicable omnidirectional tweeter"

"Hammer65" QUAD ESL and they don´t get so high in frequency. ("The focus on midrange")

This can´t realy be a Placebo thing Both of us can hear this cleary and my girfriend to.

Later in this week my brother is coming Visiting me, ang a will put him in the "Test seat"

Anyone planing visiting Sweden, Stockholm, Me and "hammer65" can do a Demo for you.
          I am ready for all "Blid test" there is !

We realy want a fix for this because SB3 is Great, we all LOVE IT !

Best regards to all of you!

Comment

• vrobin
            • May 2007

I don't know the truth or placebo part of this thread, but... damn, reading you really scare me! Wether you're a troller, a placebo victim or a real good ear... please, take it easy!

Comment

• aubuti
              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by omega
              seanadams, do you have measure equipment ?
              LOL! Do you think Sean might have had some measure equipment when he invented the Slimp3 and the SB?
              This can´t realy be a Placebo thing Both of us can hear this cleary and my girfriend to.
              Looking forward to hearing the results of your blind A/B tests.

FYI, I tried your test, and couldn't hear it the effect you claim. That could be because my audio equipment is only "hi-fi", not "high end".....
              Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
              Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
              Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
              Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
              Study: Squeezelite-X on Win10 laptop with cheapo Logitech speakers
              Bedroom: SB Radio
              Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
              LMS 8.5 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng and SB Controllers

Comment

• Phil Leigh
                • Apr 2005

Mine's pretty high-end "ish" - couldn't hear it though...

But - I don't have one of these:

"A universally applicable omnidirectional tweeter"

But I do have Townsend Supertweeters.
                You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
                Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
                Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
                Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Comment

• PhilNYC
                  • Jun 2005

I tried this and couldn't hear any difference with either my Transporter, SB2, or SB3. My music collection is stored in Apple Lossless, but I convert to WAV in Slimserver before sending to the TP/SB. In all cases, I'm using a wireless connection. Using a Dodson DA-218 DAC with the Transporter, a Bel Canto DAC3 with the SB3, and a Zhaolu DAC2.0 with the SB2. Speakers being used are the Focus Audio FS-888, FS-688, and Acoustic Zen Adagios. Preamps include a Blue Circle BC3000mkII w/GZpz power supply, Bel Canto Pre3, and no preamp (SB2 is hooked directly to the amp). Amps include a Blue Circle BC206 hybrid stereo amp, a pair of Bel Canto ref1000 monoblocks, and a Bel Canto S300 stereo amp.

For some context regarding what I do hear, I hear differences when using an Elpac power supply with my SB2; I hear differences between various interconnects, speaker cables, and power cords; and in certain systems I can hear differences in vibration control devices et al. But I couldn't hear a difference in this particular case.

My two cents...
                  Sonic Spirits Inc.
                  http://www.sonicspirits.com

Comment

• omega
                    • Jan 2007

Hi Phil Leigh,

Do you have "Fixed Volume" Setting And no auto gain settings?
                    Optical or Coaxial output ?
                    Stream Wave as Flac?

How long / Many recordings did you test?

What server / Firmware Version ?

"Sweetspot" listening etc?

Just came home from the office,
                    Tested again, a can clearly hear this..

listened to "Phil Keaggy" "Acoustic Sketches"
                    I can realy here it so clear on some tracks
                    (More air) strange but i can´t ignore this.

Anyway later this week i plan to measure, (Hope it is measurable)
                    This people are going to help me.

But any way i understand you people, you must think me and "Hammer65" is mad?

I can´t blame you.
                    You done my test and couldn't hear it though.
                    Thats make us so frustrating Why is we able to hear it ?

There must be some more people out there hearing this?

"Hammer65" and i both have Tubes in our system maby it´s easier to hear with that ?

I realy don´t know..

"Hammer65" think is´s something with the klocks / Synk.

You know we don´t think this is a placebo thing.
                    I realy don´t beleive in "mass psychosis."
                    Mabye it´s the northen light or all the LSD we take here i sweden for keep us happy? :-)

Anyway i feel what way this is leading..
                    Most peolple don´t care litening to us crazy swedes.

I can live with this bugg,
                    I am happy to have a workaround for it.
                    Nowdays i´am quite fast with the remote :-)
                    Just hit the "Pause" Off / On "Pause"

If i listen to a hole record "the good sound" is there all the time.
                    So the fix is only needed when jumping between tracks

Feels a littlebit sad because i recommended the SB3 for "Hammer65"

But "Hammer65" bougth a "old" SB2 today.
                    He are going to give med a call later today,
                    But i think the "Problem is in the Firmware or slimserver.

We will continue invetigating this,
                    Post anything we found out.

I planning to get a "TVIX" but im not sure how it´s sound from the digital outputs (Jitter, Buffers etc)

But High end is fun, it´s qute fun but frustrating to running into problems like this one,

Comment

• snarlydwarf
                      • Jul 2005

If i listen to a hole record "the good sound" is there all the time.
                      So the fix is only needed when jumping between tracks
                      How have you configured ReplayGain?

Comment

• Phil Leigh
                        • Apr 2005

Omega,
                        Yes I have digital volume fixed (and analogue volume at 63 - i.e. off!), no auto gain and I stream FLAC (as I can hear NO difference streaming WAV or FLAC). Digital o/op is coax into TACT RCS 2.2x (and then Altmann JISCO+UPCI into MR X-DACv3 - all coax...)

I tried it 4 or 5 times with a couple of revealing albums with nice reverb tails - Dire Straits/Communique and Keb Mo' Peace...

6.3.1+latest firmware.
                        You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
                        Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
                        Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Comment

• omega
                          • Jan 2007

This is me and "Hammers" Player Audio Settings:

Turn OFF Audio:Outputs always on
                          Crossfade:None
                          Crossfade Duration:0
                          Digital Volume Controligital output level is Fixed
                          Preamp Volume Control:0
                          Audio Startup time:0
                          Bitrate limiting:No Limit
                          Volume Adjustment/Replay Gainisable Volume Adjustment.
                          MP3 Streaming Methodirect Streaming

And Stream Flac as Wave, External DAC. Power supplys filters good cables etc etc..

/Mats

Comment

• Phil Leigh
                            • Apr 2005

Omega - try it with Preamp Volume Control = 63 (ie the analogue stages are turned off) - does it still work?
                            Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Comment

• omega
                              • Jan 2007

Hi Agian Phil Leigh!

Thanks for giving this a try! :-)

Can you test one more thing?
                              If you have a Optical cable, Try the Optical Out from SB3
                              Mabye your "Altmann JISCO+UPCI" is helping you ?
                              Please try without the "Altmann JISCO+UPCI" over Optical.

Both me and Hammer65 hear the differance in Stream Flac as Wave.
                              And many more in this forum.
                              Anyway i hear the bugg with Flac streamed as FLAC.

Do you have the X-PSU also ? (I Have)

Best regards

/Mats the strange Swed ! :-)

Comment

• Phil Leigh
                                • Apr 2005

Hi Agian Phil Leigh!

Thanks for giving this a try! :-)

Can you test one more thing?
                                If you have a Optical cable, Try the Optical Out from SB3
                                Mabye your "Altmann JISCO+UPCI" is helping you ?
                                Please try without the "Altmann JISCO+UPCI" over Optical.

Both me and Hammer65 hear the differance in Stream Flac as Wave.
                                And many more in this forum.
                                Anyway i hear the bugg with Flac streamed as FLAC.

Do you have the X-PSU also ? (I Have)

Best regards

/Mats the strange Swed ! :-)

Mats - I can't try optical at the moment as I don't have a cable. However, can you clarify...do you hear this effect with both "stream flac as wav" and "stream flac as flac"?

I do have the X-PSU.

If I take the Altmann boxes out of the loop I don't like the sound and the effect of taking them out is bigger than the one you describe (I think).

Have you tried setting preamp volume to 63 (off) yet?
                                Phil
                                Stax4070+SRM7/II phones

Comment

Working...