Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

"No Album" problem

I notice that I have all of my artists' "No Album" content also listed under Various Artists/No Album.

Eg. I have a song by Tori Amos, that appears under Tori Amos/No Album/A Happy Day. This is also listed under Various Artists/No Album/A Happy Day.

I don't recall it being like this in the past. Any ideas why that should be happening, and how to fix it?

SlimServer Version: 6.5.3 - TRUNK - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

Behaviour settings:
    "Group Compilation albums together"
    "List albums by band"

Phil

NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar

"No Album" problem

see bug 4193
    -kdf

"No Album" problem

>see bug 4193

Not sure if that is the same issue. I'll have another read through it.

Specific artists are correctly displayed for me. Eg. If I browse Tori Amos, I see some specific albums, and "No Album", which only contains Tori Amos tracks that are not on an album.

The only problem I see is that I have "No Album" also listed within Various Artists, which is a list of all artists that have tracks without an album tag.

I think that perhaps this Various Artists/No Album just doesn't need to be displayed (unless it's possible to have a compilation album without an album name???). I don't think I used to see "No Album" in there. It's not really a big issue.

NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar

"No Album" problem

On 16-Jun-07, at 10:18 AM, Phil Meyer wrote:
    >
    > I think that perhaps this Various Artists/No Album just doesn't need
    > to be displayed (unless it's possible to have a compilation album
    > without an album name???). I don't think I used to see "No Album" in
    > there.

Probably not, as the bug in question points out that 'no album' wasn't
    previously being processed for 'various artist' post-process. This
    process is what creates the various artists item, and compacts the huge
    list of contributors into the "various artists" label for an album.

You can revert the change given and see for yourself, if only to prove
    or disprove.
    -kdf

The behavior has changed slightly, but IMO, it's the logical behavior. The 'no album' is essentially a gigantic compilation album. It appears both under the artist (filtering down to only that artist's tracks when clicked) and it also appears under Various Artists. Exactly like any other compilation album. I don't have one in my library, but I would think that the one under Various Artists is a convenient way (maybe the only way) to browse all of the singles in your collection.

"No Album" problem

It appears to be a throw-back to the old "greatest hits" problem. I have several artists that have a "No Album" album, and slimserver is seeing these as a single compilation album. This behaviour can be controlled via the "COMPILATION" tag. If there isn't a compilation tag, I believe slimserver assumes songs in different folders are not compilations, whereas songs in the same folder on the same album name by different artists would be considered part of a compilation.

I also have some songs with missing artist tags (eg. podcasts, etc), that appear under Artists/No Artist/No Album. These do not appear under Artists/Various Artists/No Album.

>Exactly like any other compilation album.

Not for me. I have slimserver behaviour set up such that compilation albums only appear under "Various Artists", and not also under the artist.

A track with an album tag is either by an album artist (non-compilation) or part of a compilation album (Various Artists), not both.

>I don't have one in my library, but I would think that the one under Various Artists is a convenient way (maybe the
    >only way) to browse all of the singles in your collection.

I use a "Singles" custom browse menu (via Erlands wonderful custom browse plugin) for that purpose.

Browsing by Artists/Various Artists/No Album indicates that I have 1001 songs in total by 376 artists without an album tag. These are listed by page number, so I have 15 pages to look through, and it's not particularly fast.

I don't really mind that much, as the correct functionality is still working - I still see the No Album under each artist as I have done in the past. Maybe it is taking extra time during scanning to create this though?

I think that Various Artists/No Album shouldn't be there - I'm fairly sure it never was before.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Meyer View Post
    >Exactly like any other compilation album.

Not for me. I have slimserver behaviour set up such that compilation albums only appear under "Various Artists", and not also under the artist.

A track with an album tag is either by an album artist (non-compilation) or part of a compilation album (Various Artists), not both.
    Hmmm... I've always used the "group compilations" setting and I'm pretty sure that compilations have always appeared in an artist's album list (once again, with the filtering at the next level that I mentioned). In addition, these albums have always appeared under 'Various Artists'. With this setting, what _doesn't_ appear are artist who don't have full albums are kept out of the artist list itself.

There's an enhancement that request to suppress compilations from appearing under each artist. That would suggest that this behavior has existed for a little while - at least since the 6.5 betas from the looks of it.

http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4341

"No Album" problem

>> Not for me. I have slimserver behaviour set up such that compilation
    >> albums only appear under "Various Artists", and not also under the
    >> artist.

>
    >Hmmm... I've always used the "group compilations" setting and I'm
    >pretty sure that compilations have always appeared in an artist's album
    >list (once again, with the filtering at the next level that I
    >mentioned).

Sorry, yes you are right. I meant that artists that are on compilations that I don't also have albums by are not blown out into the artist list. If I do have an album by an artist on a compilation album, the compilation album is also listed for that artist. This is good!

However, I've just looked into "No Album" again, and there does appear to be a need for Various Artists/No Album. This is for the case above, where I have songs by artists that are not on albums where I don't have any albums by that artist. As I have Slimserver configured to not list such artists in the artist list, I can only browse these songs via Artists/Various Artists/No Album (or Albums/No Album, which is the same list).

I think really the Various Artists/No Album list should only contain songs that are not also listed under their own artist/No Album list. However, I can see the complications with that now, as normally compilation album tracks are listed in the compilation album and under the artist.

One way to avoid this may be for me to apply COMPILATION=0 for singles where I have albums by the artist. This may stop them from appearing in Various Artists/No Album. I'm not sure what would happen though with Albums/No Album - would I get a "No Album" album for each artist and for Various Artists?

Sorry for the whinging - it didn't seem right (and I thought something had changed), but does appear to be logical after all, and quite complex to perfect. Probably best left as it is!

Phil