Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Volume Adjustment..... ?

Hi,

I notice the SB3 has lots of options for Volume Adjustment which rely on the data supplying "gain" infomation.

The trouble is I have bolted my SB3 onto an existing collection of music in MP3, OGG, and Flac.

The collection for me is large (about 6000 tracks) which maybe to others here isnt huge. What I am asking is probably impossible but is there anyway to post-ripping add this information. When playing a random playlist some tracks are blowing the house apart and then others are fairly quiet.

I think its probabaly a no go without manual interaction or having to mess about greatly is it?

I just thought I would ask.

ta

Mike

Foobar, import collection. Select all, right click, replygain, scan as albums, update. Enable replygain in SS, smart mode.

MP3Gain can also do this and I found the UI to be simpler. Use the analysis button only, do not use the gain button or it will modify the file's volume.
    Current: SB2, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Selling: Transporter
    Sold: SB3, Duet

Anyone know of a tool that will do this (analyze and modify only gain metadata) for Mac OS?

Quote Originally Posted by badbob View Post
    Foobar, import collection. Select all, right click, replygain, scan as albums, update. Enable replygain in SS, smart mode.
    Thanks, I will give it ago. I have foobar somewhere.. Is there an "import collection" option or just a case of selecting my music directory that I use for SB/SS? Does this damage the quality in anyway by transcoding or sth? What does it actually do?

edit, awesome! Works a treat! Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lanctot View Post
    MP3Gain can also do this and I found the UI to be simpler. Use the analysis button only, do not use the gain button or it will modify the file's volume.
    Will check this out too, thanks.

ta,

Mike
    Last edited by stormy; 2007-06-10 at 10:23.

Here's a good source for information on Replay Gain, including links to a number of programs for various operating systems that can generate the metadata.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Replay_Gain

For Mac OS, iVolume can be used to create track or album-based Replay Gain data inside the iTunes-proprietary "Sound Check" tag, "ITUNNORM" - SlimServer will read this tag to apply the volume adjustments.

http://www.mani.de/en/software/macosx/ivolume/ (download and try for free, full license $15)

I've found that if I do that I don't get a consistent album gain value for things like mix albums when there will (usually) be a different artist for each track.

Or maybe I just have my tags wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
    I've found that if I do that I don't get a consistent album gain value for things like mix albums when there will (usually) be a different artist for each track.

Or maybe I just have my tags wrong!
    If you mean "live" albums or those like Enigma, I have no such problems. If you replaygain to "album" then it'll keep each album to a specific gain, so it won't differ in volume per track. You then use smart mode in slimserver. If you use track it'll change per track, which you don't want.

Does this damage the quality in anyway by transcoding or sth? What does it actually do?
    Nope it doesn't alter the actual gain of the track, it just adds a replygain comment in the file, so if you have a compatible player (winamp, slimserver) it'll then apply a gain or cut. I'm not sure what replygain "calibrates all files" to, but it works. If you disable replaygain in slimserver/player, it'll just ignore the replaygain tag level and it'll just play as normal (different levels per album)
    Last edited by badbob; 2007-06-10 at 15:50.

What puzzled me always is how does SB apply positive gain, assuming that the volume is already at its max?

There are two options when you right-click: "Scan selection as single album" or "Scan selection as Albums (by tags)". Which should I use?

Thanks!