Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Announcement: a new PSP skin

I am pleased to release a PSP skin that I have been using for some time. I've attached the skin as a zip file below and have uploaded some screenshots. Here are some design principles and features:

- optimized for the 480 by 272 screen of the PSP, scrolling only where necessary
    - leveraged several UI elements from the wonderful Touch and Nolia skins, with a couple functional enhancements including a a search screen uses a virtual keyboard and the "time remaining" javascript on the player screen is (I think) a little cleaner
    - optimized for speed by providing the ability to download this skin's images to the PSP memory stick to load quickly (strongly recommended)
    - images are used sparingly, mostly on the home screen and player screen, and they are large so you don't need to be precise with the PSP's mouse
    - I had to work around browser deficiencies - image caching, javascript, and memory management on the on the PSP browser are very unsophisticated, such as (1) can't use div tags for art browsing, (2) can't use javascript to update image elaspes time, so replaced it with text-based counter in a read-only input field, and (3) local images cannot be loaded using the standard file:/// tag, so the local image download only works on the PSP, not on more robust browsers like Firefox
    - don't sacrifice user appeal- although images are used sparingly, there are other UI elements that are used to compenstate for this. For example, the cover art is intended to stand out against the bland black, gray, and white scheme. Also font styles, sizes, and weights are varied to draw the user to the most important elements and be able to distinguish between clickable and non-clickable (italicized) elements. Finally alternating background colors on the rows allow the user to distinguish between rows on text-heavy lists
    - easy UI - has to pass the wife test, she is not a gadget-friendy person. It had to be simple and functional.
    - allow skin to be useful beyond the PSP - I hope you find this simple yet appelaing skin useful on your PC/laptop. I created a cookie mechanism to allow the user to specify whether to use local images or reload them each time (on more more robust browsers like Firefox the caching is sophisticated enough so this isn't an issue anyway)

Fire away with the feedback please, and enjoy ...

I would suggest that you add this to the skin section of the 3rd party plugins section on the wiki, this way it will be easier for people to find it.
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cgi?SlimServerPlugins
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets
    Starting with LMS 8.0 I no longer support my plugins/applets (see here for more information )

Marvellous - I'll give it a try as soon as I'm home. Adding to erland's suggestion, do please announce this on the third party plugins forum, which has a little less noise than this general forum

Adam
    Own music plus Qobuz, PC with Squeezelite-X, JRiver as digital XO
    System 1: Lynx AES16, 5x SMSL DACs, various amps, 5 way horns
    System 2: Asus Xonar u7, Restek Sextet, JBL L300
    3xBoom, 1xRadio

I downloaded this, how do I install it on my PSP?

Sorry for such a n00b question.

You don't install it on the PSP, you install it in Slimserver in the skins folder and then call it up using the URL http://serverip_or_name:9000/PSP

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    You don't install it on the PSP, you install it in Slimserver in the skins folder and then call it up using the URL http://serverip_or_name:9000/PSP
    Ok, I get that.

Which browser do you guys use on the PSP?
    Suggestions...

Got the Skin copied in my server but my PSP doesn't want to connect, getting DNS error 80410414.

I can connect to other web pages fine - ie: yahoo.com, but just can't connect to my server.

Any ideas... I have proxy server off, and the PSP shows that I'm connected to my network fine.

got it working now, but had to enter the ip address - it would work using the name of the server. weird

This is exactly what i am looking for. But... not in this resolution.
    Since the Touchskin has disapeared your skin would be very useful to deal with real touchscreens. (resolution 1024x768 and higher).
    is it possible to change the res in a kind of "central" way?

btw. i am familiar with the nokia 770 skin. But the Buttons are to small, there is no virtual keyboard and so on.

Announcement: a new PSP skin

> Since the Touchskin has disapeared

It didn't. What's wrong with it? It should still be there.

--

Michael

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.herger.net/SlimCD - your SlimServer on a CD
    http://www.herger.net/slim - AlbumReview, Biography, MusicInfoSCR