Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Power and play buttons on remote not working

Recently I have started having problems with the remote for my Squeezebox 3. The play button and power button have stopped working most of the time but then suddenly start working intermittently. All the other buttons work fine. I have turned on the d_ir and d_irtm debugging options, but nothing appears in the log whenever I press the play or power button. Entries do appear for all other buttons. Does this suggest a fault with the remote, the squeezebox, firmware or slimserver?

I have tried changing the batteries but this made no difference.

Stephen

Do you have a digital camera? If so, can you see a purplish dot on the digital camera's viewscreen coming out of the IR emitter in a pitch-black room when you press these buttons?

Sounds like a faulty remote.
    Current: SB2, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Selling: Transporter
    Sold: SB3, Duet

Thanks for that suggestion. Just tried that and I can actually see the purple light on the remote itself but not when pressing the play and power buttons so obviously the remote is faulty. Not very good when I have just had it for about 12 months. I assume the warranty is only one year as well so will have to pay for a new remote.

Think I will see if I can open up the remote (don't know if this is possible but I've nothing to lose) to see if there is anything obvious inside that might be stopping the two buttons from working. If I can't fix it does anyone know the cheapest place to get a replacement remote from? Alternatively maybe now is the time to get a universal remote which I have been thinking of for a while, e.g. the Logitech Harmony one.

Any remote that will replicate a JVC DVD player remote control will work BUT you'll be missing the brightness button. The brightness can be adjusted from the web interface but you need the remote brightness button to install new firmware which can't be done from the web interface.
    Current: SB2, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Selling: Transporter
    Sold: SB3, Duet

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Millington View Post
    Think I will see if I can open up the remote (don't know if this is possible but I've nothing to lose) to see if there is anything obvious inside that might be stopping the two buttons from working. If I can't fix it does anyone know the cheapest place to get a replacement remote from? Alternatively maybe now is the time to get a universal remote which I have been thinking of for a while, e.g. the Logitech Harmony one.
    https://secure.slimdevices.com/order/upgrades.cgi has replacement remotes.