Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Logitech mini-keyboard / remote?

Spotted this over on Gizmodo - sets the mind racing a bit?

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/mini-remo...led-261824.php

Sort of combines all our hopes and nightmares in one piece of speculation....

Brgds
    Phil

uuuugly!

they should put a sideshow screen on it at least...

to be honest i think they'd be better re-engineering the harmony 1000

tacking bluetooth on it and making it sideshow compatible...

oh and of course implementing Jive!

Watcher of the Windows build
    Quote Originally Posted by gb115b View Post
    uuuugly!

to be honest i think they'd be better re-engineering the harmony 1000 tacking bluetooth on it and making it sideshow compatible...

oh and of course implementing Jive!
    Every couple months I get involved in one of these SB/SS remote control threads. I've been waiting for the day that Logitech/SD realize that there is a market for a WiFi/IR/RF "Universal" remote with an LCD screen to display album art, ID3 tags and the so called Harmony Activities. Not only should this remote be compatible with the SB3/SS, but with as many IP based media server platforms as possible. It'd be a "programmable" remote, so the flexibility to change the WiFi and IP connection settings should be inherent.

IMO, the form factor of the Harmony 1000 and of the Sonos require the user to use two hands. When I sit on my sofa, I usually have a drink on one and the remote in the other... so these small tablet type remotes that requires me to put the drink down are not for me. If I put the drink down on the coffee table and lie on the sofa one of my arms is useless as it's against the back of the sofa. I watch TV and control the SB as I lie "sideways" on the sofa. Doesn't everyone? All I have left is one arm dangling from the edge the sofa to pick up the drink or the remote. That's it!... Watching TV or listening to music is a passive (passing out) experience for me... I don't want to have to start a browser or look at configuration pages when I just want to listen to a song or watch TV. I tried using a PDA and as a remote, and found myself wasting time just waiting for it to boot and to load the browser. Then "click"... and nothing happened.

Now implementing this jive platform on a one-handed remote could be a winning combo. I'd like a harware form factor "similar" to the new Rica 100... maybe a little thinner. http://www.ricavision.com/ricavision...e/rica100.html The prototype interface from jive would look nice on something like this. I'm still not convinced I need a browser in my remote. I use my laptop and browser to make SS configuration changes when needed.

All that Logitech needs to do is integrate and add the following -> The form factor of the Harmony 720, a smaller color LCD and navigation controls like the ones used in the 1000, the RF/IR of the 890, the colored buttons of their Xbox 360 remote (I can program these as the A B C buttons to control my SA 8300 DVR so that the wife does not get confused)... Then just add WiFi and maybe Bluetooth so that all the bases are covered.

yeah damn right...i'd love all of those features...

it should also have wireless power so i don't have to change any batteries, be able to make a good cup of tea and stop global warming too...

to be honest i'd pay a hell of a lot for what you said, but it doesn't seem like anyone else is too keen for some reason..

by the way what was your PDA experience like?

because i guess you can build jive for windows mobile / ce
    you can allegedly do the same for sideshow..

if you have a universal IR remote app too (which i'm sure are available)

then i guess we're someway there...

yeah damn right...i'd love all of those features...

it should also have wireless power so i don't have to change any batteries, be able to make a good cup of tea and stop global warming too...

to be honest i'd pay a hell of a lot for what you said, but it doesn't seem like anyone else is too keen for some reason..
    What are you talking about?... I'm not trying to re-invent the wheel here. I have a HTC Tornado (Qtek 8310) Smartphone. It has IR, WiFi, Bluetooth, a 1.5 MP camera, is Quad band, has an QVGA LCD color screen, rechargable battery and a navigation joystick. It also has an OS that support multiple applications including a remote control app. Logitech has the $$$ resources and in some cases already owns or has licenses for the technology required to make this happen. HTC has less time in the market than Logitech and they were able to find all the components and put in a smarphone 1/4 the size of any universal remote control I've tried. This phone cost me $300 over a year ago and can do a whole lot more than any remote control I've seen. So your comment about me having a remote to control global warming is just way out on left field. The technology and components to make the control remote I'm talking about has been available for years and some of these components can be bought off the shelf by the hundreds of thounsands.
    Last edited by tamanaco; 2007-05-22 at 05:21.

doesn't HTC stuff run windows mobile ( or ce?) if so i'm sure you can get apps which do all those things for you now then..

well minus the rf, but i suppose with the right x11 kit you can add that facility too...

i agree with you that all the component parts have been available for some time, and i've been equally frustrated that noone else seems to want to put them all together for a remote device..

especially as items like the phillips pronto 'universal' remote go for over 500 pounds (over 1000 dollars)

by the way what was your PDA experience like?

because i guess you can build jive for windows mobile / ce
    you can allegedly do the same for sideshow..

if you have a universal IR remote app too (which i'm sure are available)

then i guess we're someway there...
    My experience with the PDA using a universal remote control app was not pleasant. I had a lot of issues having the application hang in the most critical moments. I would change the channel momentarely during commercials and sometimes could not return to the program I was watching because the app would not respond or the touch screen calibration was off. I would touch the 2 and the TV jumped to channel 5. The touch screen was not as natural as a remote with a keypad. I also tried to use the mobile web interface of the SS on the PDA. This was a little bit more pleasant as I basically created playlists and like showing off the Album Art to my friends. But to be honest I rarely used it because it was not a "dedicated" control remote. Every time I picked the PDA I'd have to start the universal remote app and then the browser... time consuming. If I was lucky and both apps got a alone then I had a someone pleasant experience, but not reliable or fast enough for me.

doesn't HTC stuff run windows mobile ( or ce?) if so i'm sure you can get apps which do all those things for you now then..

well minus the rf, but i suppose with the right x11 kit you can add that facility too...
    Yeah, I tried using a Universal app on the phone too, but my experience was similar to that with the PDA which I just mentioned above. What am I saying?... it was actually worse. (Not practical - changing channels and making/receiving calls should be mutually exclusive) Is a nice experiment, but I would not recommend getting calls on your remote... Specially if the wife is changing channels with your smartphone and the girlfriend calls you. In a heart beat she'll find another application for the smartphone... hand-thrown projectile.
    Last edited by tamanaco; 2007-05-22 at 05:37.

I tried using my PDA phone (HTC Universal) as a remote. It works fine, but then the phone turns off the wifi, I try to browse and it turns on the 3G. I have to turn the wifi back on, turn off 3G and get bored with the whole thing. Rubbish.

I use the PSP sometimes, as that doesn't try to be clever with me, but a touch screen would be nice - using buttons to browse is not perfect.

So it needs a custom device. This just needs to be a simple PDA-like thing with a power cradle, but with an Apply (Sonosy?) wheel too. And a touch screen for web browsing, why not. And IR for controlling devices that aren't wifi. And a decent user interface.

I think Jive is a good step forward, but we needs lots of skins for how people operate differently. I'm just glad that this is starting to get the exposure that it deserves - it's the key to the SB system taking over the world!

Adam
    PC, JRiver/Qobuz, Digital XO, Asus Xonar u7, Restek Sextet, JBL L300
    LMS: 3xBoom, 1xRadio, SB3