Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    168

    Should I upgrade to Vista?

    As I'm currently a "Windows" (rather than "Linux") person, and enjoy tinkering, I'm thinking of upgrading my PC from XP to Vista.

    The PC is beefy enough to cope (with 2GB of RAM - and space for more if necessary - and a fast processor). The Asus site says my motherboard is supported, and the various motherboard drivers are available for download. I only have 3 components attached to the motherboard - 2 hard-drives and an DVD/RW drive - and I am asusming they will be readily supported.

    The main uses of the computer at the moment revolve around general messing about (surfing, e-mailing, watching vids in VideoLAN, etc.), some work in MS Office 2007, and of course the various activities associated with my Squeezebox (running SlimServer, managing music with a combination of EAC, FLAC, MP3Tag & Foobar2000).

    So, should I take the plunge, or is Vista still a little too rough around the edges (as the "Vista" sticky thread perhaps suggests)?

  2. #2
    It depends why you want to upgrade. I have Vista because it came on a new PC I bought.

    If you are happy to put up with the annoying features of Vista (in the sticky post you mentioned), plus the "You want to move this file", "I'll ask the administrator if its OK to move the file", "Ah, you are the administrator, do you want to allow yourself to move the file?"
    Black/Black SB3 | SS 10 UE | 2017 iMac
    http://www.xorro.co.uk

  3. #3
    Senior Member vdorta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    119
    Quote Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
    So, should I take the plunge, or is Vista still a little too rough around the edges (as the "Vista" sticky thread perhaps suggests)?
    I find Vista better than XP in every way, solid and reliable and with surprisingly clearer sound from my flac files via XMPlay and headphones. I also use PCLinuxOS TR4 and the difference in sound is similar, Amarok sounding a bit dark and undynamic like XP. By the way, Vista's User Account Control is similar to Linux "su" administrator password protection; you get used to the small inconvenience in order to have more security.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    35
    Hercules, with the exception of the issues I've had with SlimServer, Vista has worked 1,000% flawlessly for me. I was a big XP user prior to then.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    425
    Vista is a bigger resource hog, requires a higher end machine (is slower) and for gaming, is slower fps.

    Driver support isn't as wide as XP either.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Pale Blue Ego's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    1,261
    Quote Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
    As I'm currently a "Windows" (rather than "Linux") person, and enjoy tinkering, I'm thinking of upgrading my PC from XP to Vista.

    The PC is beefy enough to cope (with 2GB of RAM - and space for more if necessary - and a fast processor). The Asus site says my motherboard is supported, and the various motherboard drivers are available for download. I only have 3 components attached to the motherboard - 2 hard-drives and an DVD/RW drive - and I am asusming they will be readily supported.

    The main uses of the computer at the moment revolve around general messing about (surfing, e-mailing, watching vids in VideoLAN, etc.), some work in MS Office 2007, and of course the various activities associated with my Squeezebox (running SlimServer, managing music with a combination of EAC, FLAC, MP3Tag & Foobar2000).

    So, should I take the plunge, or is Vista still a little too rough around the edges (as the "Vista" sticky thread perhaps suggests)?
    You sound like a good candidate for Ubuntu :0

    Seriously, you aren't doing anything that requires a Windows OS. The only reason I'm keeping Win2k on my main PC is that I do high-def video capture and editing which, while possible on Linux, isn't yet supported for my current hardware.

    If you like to tinker, Linux is the OS for you. You have complete control of EVERYTHING.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by Pale Blue Ego View Post
    You sound like a good candidate for Ubuntu :0

    Seriously, you aren't doing anything that requires a Windows OS. The only reason I'm keeping Win2k on my main PC is that I do high-def video capture and editing which, while possible on Linux, isn't yet supported for my current hardware.

    If you like to tinker, Linux is the OS for you. You have complete control of EVERYTHING.
    I am a good candidate for Ubuntu, and, as this thread testifies, was intending to use that O/S.

    But as I now just have one PC, and have the occasional need to do some work using MS Office products, I'll have to stick with Windows...

    I was talking to our IT guys at work today and they told me about Norton Ghost. So I'm now thinking of taking a copy of my current XP image and then trying out Vista. If it works, then great! It it doesn't, I'll just restore back to XP!

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Plymouth, UK
    Posts
    100

    why not do both?

    You could always dual boot, but even more room for fiddling would be to use VMWare and run windows and office in that for your occasional need.
    Tom

  9. #9
    Senior Member aubuti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Hercules View Post
    I am a good candidate for Ubuntu, and, as this thread testifies, was intending to use that O/S.

    But as I now just have one PC, and have the occasional need to do some work using MS Office products, I'll have to stick with Windows...
    No you don't. Like TurnipMan says, you can have dual boot system. It's easy to set up, and gives you all the options.

  10. #10
    Ne'er-do-well, Vagabond bklaas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    2,034
    See also: Open Office http://www.openoffice.org/
    See also: Crossover Office http://www.codeweavers.com/

    I'm just sayin'....
    Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
    Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

    http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •