Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Error Correction for iTunes

Hey. I am close to taking the sqeezebox plunge, but am having some trouble deciding how to transfer and store my cds in a lossless format. I have a Mac and iTunes. I would like to continue using iTunes, but am not satisfied with the error correction. I have looked at Cd Paranoia as an alternative, but it is not compatible w/Apple Lossless and I want lossless w/some compression. I have heard Max works well, but don't know much about it. I wo0uld love to use EAC, but, of course, it will not work w/iTunes.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    Hey. I am close to taking the sqeezebox plunge, but am having some trouble deciding how to transfer and store my cds in a lossless format. I have a Mac and iTunes. I would like to continue using iTunes, but am not satisfied with the error correction. I have looked at Cd Paranoia as an alternative, but it is not compatible w/Apple Lossless and I want lossless w/some compression. I have heard Max works well, but don't know much about it. I wo0uld love to use EAC, but, of course, it will not work w/iTunes.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for the help.
    I have had no problems with itunes and alac.
    Even pretty scratched up CD's sound great.

You might try it out on a few CD's before hassling with other programs
    if you are as lazy as I :-)

I am not too tech savy and thus would love to avoid a new software. However, I am definitely having some problems with errors. I would say that about one of every 50 cds has a problem; the cd itself has never been scratched and plays fine on a cd player. Could it be my cd drive (I have an 04 iMac, the one that looks like half a golfball w/ a screen on top). Any ideas?

EAC + FLAC remains my top choice on Windows, and is the top choice of many people on these forums. Max + FLAC on the Mac is pretty good too - I've never had any problems with it.

FLAC is a good choice for format. It will play natively on the Squeezebox and Sonos (seeing that you are contemplating taking the plunge on both).

I also continue to use iTunes - my FLAC library is served by Firefly server in addition to Slimserver. The FLACs show up as a DAAP/Bonjour share in iTunes (Win & Mac), and are transcoded in real time to wav - so no loss of information. Tags are also preserved. Files can be played locally, or through Airport Express (and I guess through AppleTV as well). You can't burn CDs or create playlists from shared music though. For burning you can use Roxio Toast, and playlists can be created in Firefly. I see this as a stop gap solution. Rumours are that OS 10.5 Leopard will natively support FLAC, and I'm also hoping the XiphQT project will suport native FLAC decoding soon.
    Last edited by Nikhil; 2007-04-30 at 12:54.

Nikhil-Thanks. I am actually only going to get one or the other, but have not yet decided which. I need to resolve this problem first.

I would love to use EAC, but it won't work w/a Mac. I also want to stick w/iTunes if possible, because it is so easy to use.

I've not had any problems with iTunes ripping CDs... it IS possible that your CD-ROM is at fault. The reason the CDs don't skip (usually) in an audio CD player is because of the error correction built into the red-book spec for audio CDs. There is no such error correction for ripping.

The way these other programs 'error-correct' is by comparing bit-to-bit between the CD and the ripped file. iTunes does have the capability to rip at a slower speed, which does help.

Max does a good job of ripping, and you can use it to rip as Apple Lossless as well as FLAC and others. You could always rip with Max, import them (actually ADD TO LIBRARY) using iTunes and keep using iTunes to edit tags.
    Eric Seaberg - San Diego
    A.E.S., I.E.E.E., S.M.P.T.E., S.P.A.R.S.
    eric@seaberg.com

I think I just found the definitive answer: the newly released Parallels Desktop fo Mac allows EAC to operate on a Mac. Yeah.

I think I just found the definitive answer: the newly released Parallels Desktop fo Mac allows EAC to operate on a Mac. Yeah.
    So long as you have a Windows license, that's correct. It's how I have used EAC so far. I've only used it a little bit though, but it's worked fine. I haven't used it enough to know if using EAC through Parallels takes longer than on a standalone Windows box, but it definitely gets the job done.

I thought you said you had an old G4 mac that looked like a half golf ball? Parallels WILL NOT work on that. It only works on recent Intel Macs. If you have one of those, or plan to get one of those, then you can run EAC - though its probably going to be a lot quicker using Windows in a BootCamp partition rather than virtualized in Parallels, which according to reports slows EAC down to a crawl.

I still think MAX is your best bet.

P.S... Does your mac have a Firewire or USB 2.0 port free? If you do, then you could try to use a cheap new external optical drive with iTunes - and check if that solves your problems.
    Last edited by Nikhil; 2007-04-30 at 20:35.

Is it possible for Max to automatically transfer(import?) the ripped file into iTunes to take advantage of GraceNote? I have heard MusicBrainz is not the best. itunesencode will automatically transfer a file ripped by EAC to iTunes; iTunes then pulls up song titles, etc. on Gracenote. If so, Max would be the answer. Thanks.