Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chill
    • Mar 2007

Embedding CUE sheet/tags into FLAC CD image

I've ripped a lot of CDs, using EAC, into FLAC images with CUE sheets. I now realise that slimserver should still work properly if the CUE sheet is embedded into the FLAC image, and this seems like a neater solution. I've therefore been trying to retrospectively embed my existing CUE sheets into the FLAC images.

I've been using METAFLAC, but with only partial success.

- The command METAFLAC --import-cuesheet-from="test.cue" test.flac seems to correctly add the seekpoints, so that FOOBAR recognises that the file contains several tracks. However, none of the track tags are imported. This is confirmed by using METAFLAC to export the CUE sheet.
    - The command METAFLAC --import-tags-from="test.cue" test.flac fails because the EAC CUE sheet doesn't have lines of the form NAME=VALUE, and I get the error 'malformed vorbis comment field'.

So can someone point out what I'm doing wrong? I'd like to include all the information that is currently in my EAC CUE sheets (basically Title, Performer, Genre, Date and DISCID for the album, and Title and Performer for each track) into the FLAC file, in a form that slimserver will like, so that I can delete the CUE sheet and not lose anything.

Sorry if this is already covered somewhere - I've been searching for ages and haven't got anywhere.

Thanks
  • chill
    • Mar 2007

Sorry - I've done it again! After a bit more digging, I think I've answered my own question. I've found one way of doing this.

The following command will import the CUE sheet into the CUESHEET field (so that the track names and details are stored) and will also set the start points of each track. The resulting file seems to open correctly in FOOBAR, with the tracks correctly identified and tagged. I haven't checked for correct operation in slimserver yet though.

It seems as though it's useful to first of all remove all the metadata blocks from the flac file, using METAFLAC --remove-all

Then type:

METAFLAC --set-tag-from-file="CUESHEET=test.cue" --import-cuesheet-from="test.cue" test.flac

This can all be automated into a batch file, eg 'embed.bat' as follows (assuming the CUE sheet has the same name as the flac file):

METAFLAC --remove-all %1.flac
    METAFLAC --set-tag-from-file="CUESHEET=%1.cue" --import-cuesheet-from="%1.cue" %1.flac

To run this batch file, one would simply issue the following command from a command prompt:
    EMBED test
    The full path to the 'test' files could be included if necessary.

I think it is probably also possible to export the CUE sheet information into a Vorbis comments file, and then import these into vorbis tags in the FLAC file, but the above method seems to work just as well. Does anyone know what the pros and cons of each method are?

Comment

• Huey11
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by chill
      METAFLAC --set-tag-from-file="CUESHEET=%1.cue" --import-cuesheet-from="%1.cue" %1.flac
      Hi, I noticed the order of the commands is relevant: first the cuesheet import, then the tags, or else I would not have the correct info embedded (at least in foobar, I am not sure how to show in lms: do they expand in lms for you?).

So:
      METAFLAC --remove-all %1.flac
      METAFLAC --import-cuesheet-from="%1.cue" --set-tag-from-file="CUESHEET=%1.cue" %1.flac

Regards
      Last edited by Huey11; 2019-11-01, 12:29.

Comment

Working...