Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by smc2911 View Post
    While I don't use images and cue sheets myself (only came across the idea well into ripping my collection to individual flacs), the purists could point out that images preserve the exact gaps of silence between tracks without attaching them to the individual tracks so that those gaps are there when you play the whole album but not if you sequence random tracks. That's my understanding at least.
    That could be, but it depends on how the CUE sheet is interpreted by the playback software. I don't think SlimServer introduces any gaps/silence between tracks, so unless it appends or prepends the gap from the CUE sheet, you'd potentially have unrelated tracks running into each other. Is that desirable?

The only advantages that I can think to using images plus CUE sheets is that it's fewer files to manage and it may make burning an exact copy of the original CD a bit more foolproof.

Well, I didn't notice a problem with gaps, need to pay more attention...
    But ability to edit cue sheet to change tag info instead of dealing with tag editing software is very appealing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by 325xi View Post
    But ability to edit cue sheet to change tag info instead of dealing with tag editing software is very appealing to me.
    Amen, brother!

I use images and cues, and like having a set number of files per album. Wrote a Ruby script to sync all my cue sheets to my local CDDB. The big thing I'm missing is ARTISTSORT and ALBUMSORT, but I can easily add to the Ruby code to insert those into Cue sheets (I already have code to scan the CDDB and print a list of albums sorted the way I like - with The Alan Parsons Project under PAR, for example). Then I'll just need to tweak SlimServer to recognizing those tags from the Cue.

Unfortunately, it seems that images and cues are a bit of a red-headed step child around here. It's a worry that Logitech may stop supporting them in the mainline SlimServer.

-- Timothy
    (Did some initial tests of adding a SqueezeBox to my kitchen. Things are looking - well, sounding, actually - good!)

Quote Originally Posted by TimothyB View Post
    Amen, brother!

I use images and cues, and like having a set number of files per album. Wrote a Ruby script to sync all my cue sheets to my local CDDB. The big thing I'm missing is ARTISTSORT and ALBUMSORT, but I can easily add to the Ruby code to insert those into Cue sheets (I already have code to scan the CDDB and print a list of albums sorted the way I like - with The Alan Parsons Project under PAR, for example). Then I'll just need to tweak SlimServer to recognizing those tags from the Cue.
    Good grief... How is that easier than using a tag editor???

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Good grief... How is that easier than using a tag editor???
    I've used MP3Tag for my few .MP3 files. It took me more time to get things straight than if I could have simply edited a cue sheet.

Also I've already taken care of the sorting info for artists and albums to print my list of CD's off of the CDDB. So I want to leverage that.

-- T