Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

File sharing between Solaris 10 and XP, suggestions

I have SlimServer running on Solaris 10 x86 and have found it to be a much better experience than running SlimServer on Windows. My wife has an iPod and has said she'd like to be able to play her music from time to time (it's all on the XP box) via the Squeezebox. I still had SlimServer installed on the XP box so I pointed it at iTunes and everything worked reasonably well so I thought I'd just find a way to mount her iTunes music on the Solaris box and run another instance of SlimServer in a seperate zone just for her iTunes music since we have some music that overlaps and they aren't in the same format. When she wants to listen to her stuff she just points the Squeezebox to the SlimServer in the iTunes zone.

I looked at Samba (I already have my music folder on my Solaris box shared via Samba) but quickly found that unlike Linux, Solaris doesn't support smbmount. Let me say it again, Solaris DOES NOT support SMBMOUNT. Apparently it's in the Linux kernel and not in the Solaris kernel.

So I looked at NFS, since that's what Solaris is bred for. I looked at Microsoft's Services for Unix but had my hopes crushed because it doesn't work on XP Home. There went the easy route to NFS.

I know there are some other NFS servers available for Windows, but they either come with a suite of applications I don't need (and don't want to pay for) or have a price that I feel is a bit steep (40+ USD). I don't want to spend any money on this if I don't have to, so I'm looking for any other options I might've missed.

Robin Bowes

File sharing between Solaris 10 and XP,suggestions

4mula1 wrote:
    > I don't want to spend any money on this if I don't have to, so I'm
    > looking for any other options I might've missed.

Here's one: junk Solaris and run Linux.

Judging by your posts over the last few weeks you've had a less than
    easy job getting slimserver running on Solaris - 10/10 for persistence!

However, there comes a time when you have to say "why am I doing this?"
    and consider other options.

Why are you persisting with Solaris when Linux will meet your needs
    perfectly?

R.

Quote Originally Posted by 4mula1 View Post
    I have SlimServer running on Solaris 10 x86 and have found it to be a much better experience than running SlimServer on Windows. My wife has an iPod and has said she'd like to be able to play her music from time to time (it's all on the XP box) via the Squeezebox. I still had SlimServer installed on the XP box so I pointed it at iTunes and everything worked reasonably well so I thought I'd just find a way to mount her iTunes music on the Solaris box and run another instance of SlimServer in a seperate zone just for her iTunes music since we have some music that overlaps and they aren't in the same format. When she wants to listen to her stuff she just points the Squeezebox to the SlimServer in the iTunes zone.

I looked at Samba (I already have my music folder on my Solaris box shared via Samba) but quickly found that unlike Linux, Solaris doesn't support smbmount. Let me say it again, Solaris DOES NOT support SMBMOUNT. Apparently it's in the Linux kernel and not in the Solaris kernel.

So I looked at NFS, since that's what Solaris is bred for. I looked at Microsoft's Services for Unix but had my hopes crushed because it doesn't work on XP Home. There went the easy route to NFS.

I know there are some other NFS servers available for Windows, but they either come with a suite of applications I don't need (and don't want to pay for) or have a price that I feel is a bit steep (40+ USD). I don't want to spend any money on this if I don't have to, so I'm looking for any other options I might've missed.

Long ago I used PC Netlink with Solaris for SMB...it worked quite well..and I liked it better than Samba back then. Have not checked if that product is current though... It was based on actual NT server code somehow aquired through aquisition/license by Sun -- so compatibility with older versions of Windows was very good.
    Joggler O2/Squeezeplay OS w/EDO hack->Monoprice USB ->W4S DSDse -> Cardas Golden Reference XLR -> Sim Audio P-5 -> Cardas Golden Reference XLR -> Sim Audio W-5 -> Cardas Golden Reference Hi-Mid,PS Audio Xstream Plus Low-> Magnepan 3.6R /// Joggler O2/SqueezePlay OS w/EDO hack ->USB-> Pioneer SC-99 -> NHT SuperOne 2.1

Quote Originally Posted by jth View Post
    That was way too easy! Thanks!

As a followup...

After much head banging I had to give up on Sharity Light. For some reason about 500 out of 2700 tracks in iTunes were missing in SlimServer. A look in this thread http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ght=itunes+smb made me really question using SMB at all. I ended up downloading Allegro NFS Server for Windows and SlimServer was able to find all of the iTunes tracks on the first pass.

Looks like I will be buying a license for the NFS server.