Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Aaargh! SlimServer on Solaris 10 x86

I'm trying to get SlimServer 6.5.1 running on Solaris 10 x86. I downloaded and compiled Perl 5.8.8 successfully, and when I try to run slimserver.pl (from my home directory) I get:

18 oasis /export/home/jroesner/SlimServer_v6.5.1 % ./slimserver.pl
    Can't locate auto/Compress/Zlib/autosplit.ix in @INC (@INC contains: /export/home/jroesner/SlimServer_v6.5.1/CPAN/arch/5.8/i86pc-solaris /export/home/jroesner/SlimServer_v6.5.1/CPAN/arch/5.8/i86pc-solaris/auto /export/home/jroesner/SlimServer_v6.5.1/CPAN/arch/5.8.8/i86pc-solaris /export/home/jroesner/SlimServer_v6.5.1/CPAN/arch/5.8.8/i86pc-solaris/auto /export/home/jroesner/SlimServer_v6.5.1/CPAN/arch/5.8/i86pc-solaris /export/home/jroesner/SlimServer_v6.5.1/CPAN/arch/5.8/i86pc-solaris/auto /export/home/jroesner/SlimServer_v6.5.1/CPAN/arch/i86pc-solaris /export/home/jroesner/SlimServer_v6.5.1/lib /export/home/jroesner/SlimServer_v6.5.1/CPAN /export/home/jroesner/SlimServer_v6.5.1 /export/home/jroesner/SlimServer_v6.5.1 /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i86pc-solaris /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8/i86pc-solaris /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8 /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/AutoLoader.pm line 160.
    at /export/home/jroesner/SlimServer_v6.5.1/CPAN/Compress/Zlib.pm line 15
    The following modules failed to load: DBD::mysql DBI XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser Compress::Zlib Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck

To download and compile them, please run: /export/home/jroesner/SlimServer_v6.5.1/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl DBD::mysql DBI XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser Compress::Zlib Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck

Exiting..

<end>

I did look in the CPAN/arch directory and didn't see i86pc-solaris that is seems to be looking for. What do I do now? Running the build-perl-modules.pl always fails. This has me stumped!

Can you post the error messages from the build-perl-modules.pl script?

Here's the output:

6 oasis /export/home/jroesner/SlimServer_v6.5.1 % /export/home/jroesner/SlimServer_v6.5.1/Bin/build-perl-modules.pl DBD::mysql DBI XML::Parser::Expat HTML::Parser Compress::Zlib Digest::SHA1 YAML::Syck
    Welcome to the Slim Devices perl module installer.

These packages are needed for SlimServer to function.
    You will need a C compiler (gcc), make, and perl installed.

You will need development libraries for MySQL. eg: libmysqlclient

You will need development libraries for expat. eg: libexpat1-dev

*** Ignore any warnings about AppConfig. ***

Please enter a perl binary to use (defaults to /usr/bin/perl)
    This must be the same perl binary that you ran this program with --> /usr/local/bin/perl
    Please enter a directory to download files to --> /tmp
    Downloads will use /usr/sfw/bin/wget to fetch tarballs.

Downloading DBI-1.50.tar.gz to: /tmp
    Uncompressing..
    Configuring..
    /usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL

I see you're using perl 5.008008 on i86pc-solaris, okay.
    Remember to actually *read* the README file!
    Use 'make' to build the software (dmake or nmake on Windows).
    Then 'make test' to execute self tests.
    Then 'make install' to install the DBI and then delete this working
    directory before unpacking and building any DBD::* drivers.

Building..
    In file included from DBIXS.h:31,
    from DBI.xs:12:
    dbipport.h:227:1: warning: "PERL_UNUSED_DECL" redefined
    In file included from DBIXS.h:19,
    from DBI.xs:12:
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.8/i86pc-solaris/CORE/perl.h:163:1: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
    DBI.xs: In function `dbih_clearcom':
    DBI.xs:1183: warning: unused variable `Perl___notused'
    DBI.xs: In function `dbih_get_fbav':
    DBI.xs:1332: warning: unused variable `Perl___notused'
    DBI.xs: In function `dbih_set_attr_k':
    DBI.xs:1514: warning: unused variable `Perl___notused'
    DBI.xs:1514: warning: unused variable `Perl___notused'
    DBI.xs: In function `dbih_get_attr_k':
    DBI.xs:1654: warning: unused variable `Perl___notused'
    DBI.xs: In function `log_where':
    DBI.xs:2081: warning: unused variable `Perl___notused'
    DBI.xs: In function `XS_DBI_dispatch':
    DBI.xs:2971: warning: unused variable `Perl___notused'
    Library for DBI-1.50.tar.gz is OK!

Downloading DBD-mysql-3.0002.tar.gz to: /tmp
    Uncompressing..
    Configuring..
    PERL5LIB=/tmp/DBI-1.50/blib/lib:/tmp/DBI-1.50/blib/arch /usr/local/bin/perl Makefile.PL
    Building..
    gcc: language strconst not recognized
    gcc: dbdimp.c: linker input file unused because linking not done
    gcc: language strconst not recognized
    gcc: mysql.c: linker input file unused because linking not done
    gcc: dbdimp.o: No such file or directory
    gcc: mysql.o: No such file or directory
    make: *** [blib/arch/auto/DBD/mysql/mysql.so] Error 1
    Couldn't find a valid dynamic library for DBD-mysql-3.0002.tar.gz - something is wrong. Exiting!

I think your gcc is having trouble. The bundled gcc in solaris 10 seems broken in various ways. I'd recommend getting gcc from www.sunfreeware.com or using Sun's studio 11 compiler.

I also saw this post:

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.c...1158293&page=1

Which seems relevant. You should be able to install any missing packages from your install media.
    Last edited by jth; 2007-02-06 at 08:31.

It wouldn't surprise me if gcc is broken...

I installed Sun Studio 11 last night and have built Perl with it already.

This article looks very relevant:

http://blogs.sun.com/warren/entry/up...ver_on_solaris

I'll try to find those packages tonight any maybe I'll be have some good luck.

Thanks for your help.

Still having trouble

I'm still having trouble getting SlimServer running on Solaris 10 x86. I recompiled Perl 5.8.8 with Sun Studio 11 and everything seems fine there. I have it installed in /use/local . When I try to run SlimServer it always fails to find autosplit.ix and while carefully reading the output it refers to /usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib/AutoLoader.pm . It shouldn't be using the perl libraries in /usr/perl5 but should be using them in /usr/local/lib/perl5. I installed the latest version of AutoLoader (in /usr/local). How do I use the AutoLoader module in /usr/local/ instead of /usr/perl5?

Here's the output:

Can't locate auto/Compress/Zlib/autosplit.ix in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8/i86pc-solaris-64int /usr/local/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8/i86pc-solaris-64int/auto /usr/local/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8.4/i86pc-solaris-64int /usr/local/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8.4/i86pc-solaris-64int/auto /usr/local/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8/i86pc-solaris-64int /usr/local/slimserver/CPAN/arch/5.8/i86pc-solaris-64int/auto /usr/local/slimserver/CPAN/arch/i86pc-solaris-64int /usr/local/slimserver/lib /usr/local/slimserver/CPAN /usr/local/slimserver /usr/local/slimserver /usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib/i86pc-solaris-64int /usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4/i86pc-solaris-64int /usr/perl5/site_perl/5.8.4 /usr/perl5/site_perl /usr/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4/i86pc-solaris-64int /usr/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.4 /usr/perl5/vendor_perl .) at /usr/perl5/5.8.4/lib/AutoLoader.pm line 160.
    at /usr/local/slimserver/CPAN/Compress/Zlib.pm line 15
    Segmentation Fault - core dumped

A-Ha!

Reading the readme.solaris that came with Perl 5.8.8 finally got the lightbulb to turn on. Solaris ships with /usr/bin/perl symlinked to /usr/perl5/5.8.4/bin/perl. SlimServer, and more importantly, build-perl-modules.pl both called /usr/bin/perl. I changed the symlink to point to /usr/local/bin/perl and amazing things started to happen!

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get SlimServer and MySQL that ships with Solaris to cooperate and I might be able to serve up some tunes. Looks like that is covered in the Wiki here: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.cg...gMySQLInstance