Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting music files in different directories to show up as one album

I have a CD with 9 tracks that I have converted to flac. It is in the location:

J:\Music\Genre1\Artist1\Year - AlbumName\*.flac

I also have an mp3 of a bonus track (track 10) that was only on the re-release of the above album in this location:

D:\MP3\Genre1\Artist\AlbumName\filename.mp3

The J:\Music directory is the "Music Folder" in Slim Server (6.5.1) and I have a link/shortcut from the D:\MP3 directory that is placed in the J:\Music directory. The problem is that in slim server, under the artist, it shows up as two different albums of the same name (the tag information is the same in all sets of files....album, artist, date, are all identical). The MP3 file is in an albm by itself and the other 9 songs are listed in another album. I do this type of thing with multi-disc albums and it works (but of course I use the "Discnumber" tag). Is there any way to get this to work? I know I could just place a link/shortcut from the .mp3 file directly in the subdirectory with the other 9 music files and it would work. However, if I ever wanted to move my D:\MP3 folder, I would have hundreds of links to update instead of just one. Thanks for any suggestions.

I finally found something that worked. I set "DISCNUMBER=1" on both the MP3 file and the .flac files and it worked.

This has been a problem for me since 6.5 was released and although I've written about it in the forums in the past the general consensus seemed to be that there was nothing that could be done about it so I was very excited to see that you had solved it (and thanks very much indeed for posting back the answer, very considerate indeed).

However, the solution does not seem to work for me although my problem is exactly the same as yours and I can see no reason why this should be at all. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

I have a whole bunch of singles in two directories:
    L:\MP3\VA - 70s Pop Singles
    and
    G:\Q-Z\VA - 70s Pop Singles

Slimserver scans L:\MP3 and G:\Q-Z directories via a Windows short cut.
    Compilation=1, Discnumber=1 and Album=70s Pop Singles is set for all files in both directories.

But, Slimserver still treats them as separate albums and in Album View lists the MP3 album as "70s Pop Singles by Various Artists" and the Flac album as "70s Pop Singles (Disc 1) by Various Artists".

If it has a bearing, in Server Settings/Formatting/Guess Tag Formats I have a zero in the top text box and nothing in the second, and in Server Settings/Behaviour/Compilations "Group Compilation Albums Together" and "List Albums by All Artists for that Album" are set.

As it could appear that SlimServer has just ignored the Discnumber tag in the MP3 files (hence listing the album as just "70s Pop Singles by Various Artists") I've checked the tags in three different tag programs and all appears fine with all files.

Any thought as to why it might be different for me would be very appreciated.

MC
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen

Quote Originally Posted by ModelCitizen View Post
    But, Slimserver still treats them as separate albums and in Album View lists the MP3 album as "70s Pop Singles by Various Artists" and the Flac album as "70s Pop Singles (Disc 1) by Various Artists".
    A hint: Slimserver won't add "(Disc x)" to the title.

Check Your Tags.

Oh, I assumed that the "(Disc 1)" entry was probably the correct one.... I've never used the DISCNUMBER tag before. If it's not I cannot imagine how it has got there. It's certainly not in the album name tag.

Anyway, thanks snarly but I've already checked my tags till I'm blue in the face! I've used a number of applications (Winamp tag plugin, Foobar 2000, Mp3Tag, AudioShell) but none have shown anything up. Can you suggest any particular thing I should be looking for in my tags?
    BTW, this also happens with a number of other "albums" I added the DISCNUMBER tag to at the same time. In each case all the flac files are listed in album view list as "******(Disc 1)". All the MP3 files do not include anything about the disc.

Cheers.

MC

Quote Originally Posted by ModelCitizen View Post
    Oh, I assumed that the "(Disc 1)" entry was probably the correct one.... I've never used the DISCNUMBER tag before. If it's not I cannot imagine how it has got there. It's certainly not in the album name tag.
    It must be: the disc number tag -only- shows up in the track details. If it migrated to album titles then a two-disc set, say, The Wall, would show up as two albums since they had different titles. That would be ... annoying.

All the Discnumber does is aid sorting (so that you can have multiple track 1's on an album).

I know this for a fact that it doesnt change album name because I use Musicbrainz, which -does- insert "(disc 1)" in the title, and on most CD's I remove that and use discnumber... and I know how mine display.
    Anyway, thanks snarly but I've already checked my tags till I'm blue in the face! I've used a number of applications (Winamp tag plugin, Foobar 2000, Mp3Tag, AudioShell) but none have shown anything up. Can you suggest any particular thing I should be looking for in my tags?
    No idea, I um, use eyeD3, id3v2 and metaflac... what's a GUI? :P

BTW, this also happens with a number of other "albums" I added the DISCNUMBER tag to at the same time. In each case all the flac files are listed in album view list as "******(Disc 1)". All the MP3 files do not include anything about the disc.
    Could it be that you have multiple tag-types? From comments here some people have managed to get id3 and vorbis tags onto flac files, which tends to confuse things. (Ie, taggers that pretend to be flexible and support more than one tag type end up making a mess.)

If I recall right there is a "strip all tags other than this kind" in mp3tag (designed to remove id3v1 tags but usable for other things).

When I get to work I'll see if I can find that thread if no one else remembers it between now and then.

Ahhh... I know what it may be:

Code:
    GROUP DISCS
    You can specify if multiple disc sets are treated as a single album (with a single name) or as multiple albums, each with a unique name per disc, for example "Album Title (Disc 2 of 3)". Changing this setting will start a rescan of your music library.
    If you leave the discnumber (TPOS) off the mp3's the discnumber is 0 or undef... If you set it to 1 on the FLACs, they are different.

Therefore, if you don't group discs, this will break your stuff exactly as you describe.

Set a TPOS tag on the mp3's (so that they have a disc number) or delete the DISCNUMBER tag on the flacs.

Deleted overlapping post.

Quote Originally Posted by snarlydwarf View Post
    If you leave the discnumber (TPOS) off the mp3's the discnumber is 0 or undef... If you set it to 1 on the FLACs, they are different.
    Therefore, if you don't group discs, this will break your stuff exactly as you describe.
    Set a TPOS tag on the mp3's (so that they have a disc number) or delete the DISCNUMBER tag on the flacs.
    I'm sorry snarly, I've read this quite a few times and don't quite get it. From the first sentence I'm under the impression that DISCNUMBER and TPOS are one and the same. Then in the last sentence you say "set the TPOS on the mp3 (so that they have a discnumber)".
    But all my MP3s and the Flacs already have DISCNUMBER=1 set. So I am confused.
    Thanks for you help with this btw.
    MC

I was concerned that the DISCNUMBER tag couldn't be set in the MP3 file (I didn't know if it was an ID3 compliant tag). But it seemed to work. I guess I should have have used TPOS=1 for the MP3s and DISCNUMBER=1 for the .flac files.