Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:9000."

I was previously enjoying my squeezebox without problems. I am now unable to open the Slimserver: "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:9000."

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but due to a change in phone service, a new cable modem was installed a couple of days ago.

I did uninstall/re-install the latest version of Slimserver but this did not fix the problem.

I run Windows 2000 and don't know squat about computers/software.

I think there's a setting you have to change in firefox's "About:Config" page. Im sure i've seen a thread here on this problem.
    Tennis was invented so that man & dog would have something slimy to play with together.

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Dacat View Post
    I was previously enjoying my squeezebox without problems. I am now unable to open the Slimserver: "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:9000."

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but due to a change in phone service, a new cable modem was installed a couple of days ago.

I did uninstall/re-install the latest version of Slimserver but this did not fix the problem.

I run Windows 2000 and don't know squat about computers/software.
    Is slimserver actually running? Can the SB connect to it?

Can you start slimserver from the slimtray icon?

When you get that error message, what happens if you wait a couple of minutes and then press "try again"?

Your cable modem was changed ... do you have a separate router between that and your computer, and if so was that reconnected properly? Perhaps whoever installed your modem connected it straight to your PC which means your SB is now cut off (NB though a problem this wouldn't be enough to give the error you describe).

Ceejay

Q: Is slimserver actually running? Can the SB connect to it?

A: In general, no. I was working on this for about an hour, and the squeezebox did make a connection for a few seconds.

Q: Can you start slimserver from the slimtray icon?

A: No.

Q: When you get that error message, what happens if you wait a couple of minutes and then press "try again"?

A: The same error message appears.

Q: Your cable modem was changed ... do you have a separate router between that and your computer, and if so was that reconnected properly?

A: Yes, and, I hope so.

One other thing- I recently installed mcAfee anti-virus software. I don't recall having tried to use the slimserver since then before running into the problem outlined in my initial post.

Thanks,

Rupe
    Last edited by Rupert Dacat; 2007-01-29 at 08:20. Reason: To add info about anti-virus

try using this as a URL, maybe some installation program for your modem hosed your proxy settings:
    http://127.0.0.1:9000

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Elissen View Post
    try using this as a URL, maybe some installation program for your modem hosed your proxy settings:
    http://127.0.0.1:9000
    Thanks for the suggestion, but,

"Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at 127.0.0.1:9000"

Rupe

Red face

Problem solved!!!

It was my new McAfee software that was blocking access to localhost:9000.

Rupe

OK, back to the beginning - is slimserver actually running?

Having tried to start it, use Task Manager to look at the list of running processes and look for slim.exe. If its not there, your browser has no chance of connecting to it.

In this case you should try running from a command prompt - that way you will see any error messages that are thrown up. Open a command prompt window, go to c:\program files\slimserver\server and type "slim.exe".

Ceejay

Quote Originally Posted by Rupert Dacat View Post
    Problem solved!!!

It was my new McAfee software that was blocking access to localhost:9000.

Rupe
    Glad you sorted it Rupe!!
    Just goes to show how some programs can cause hell for you - even when they are there to protect you!!
    Hope you enjoy your squeezebox once again!

Nic

Thumbs up

Thank you ceejjay for taking an interest in my problem. Our posts crossed in the ether.

Thank you Nic. I am indeed enjoying my Squeezebox.

Rupe