Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wired SB3 no longer offered?

I was just going to order a new SB3 for my family room and noticed that the wired version is no longer offered?

I have wired cat5 to every room in my house on a switched network, and I really, really don't want to have to spend an extra $50 on something I will never use (that's beer and nachos money).

Slim, won't you guys reconsider offering wired versions? I know it's probably more cost effective to offer a single version but you are pricing the SB3 up and out of the range of people who don't need the wireless unit.

Agreed. I recently bought a wired model and was hoping to get a second wired Squeezebox this year.

pete

I would like to add: Please?

All the squeezeboxes still have the option for ethernet via rj45. What has changed is that a wired only version is not available. That causes those of us that hardwire everything have to pay the extra $50 for the wireless function that we will not use. On the other hand, the function is there if we ever want to use it.

Well, maybe when we see whatever fruit the Logitech acquisition produces we will have an idea of what the future is for lower price point products.

If you really want a wired only version you could always try eBay.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveEast View Post
    If you really want a wired only version you could always try eBay.
    When these were still being produced, their price was fairly low as the wireless ones were more desireable for resale.

However now that it's discontinued, this may change...

P.S. I see a SliMP3 on there right now! Would be cool to have one just for historical value.
    Current: SB2, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Selling: Transporter
    Sold: SB3, Duet

I'd much rather get one from Slim Devices as it has a warranty and I also feel that it's supporting the company more to buy first hand.

That, and I want the sexy new black one.

While this is no consolation, I'd wonder if the demise of the wired only version is simple business math. It could be that the relative sales volume of the wired only unit was low enough that they could no longer justify the extra cost of maintaining separate production and distribution. While $50 is still $50, that is a comparatively small margin compared to many items that get dropped from product lines.

sorry . . .

Unfortunately the wired only product is no more. To put it another way, it's not merely resting or even pining for the fjords - it is in fact dead, pushing up daisies, gone to join the choir invisible etc, etc.

As someone surmised earlier, it's just got to the point where it's not economic to produce separate models that represent such a small portion of our overall sales. We really like to please customers wherever possible, but as our sales grow we have to similarly scale our manufacturing and that means a little less flexibility to build 'short runs' of the wired product. We realize this will disappoint some of you and lose us a few sales, but hopefully you'll understand us focussing on growing our overall business.