Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    I think the only point I'd want to debate is your assumption that we don't need to cover the Transporter as their owners are unlikely to be beginners: not beginners in audio, almost certainly, but could easily be complete novices in slimserver or computer based audio.
    Sure, but keep in mind this page covers connections made to speakers. SlimServer and computer based audio is covered very well in the other Beginner sections.
    Current: SB2, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Selling: Transporter
    Sold: SB3, Duet

Nice job guys

Just thought I'd congratulate you for your community service.

cheers,
    Michael
    sb touch -> classdaudio sds-450 -> audio physic tempo 4 + rel storm 3 & rythmik f12se

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Carroll View Post
    Are you sure about that?

My understanding is that PREAMP volume control is implemented in the DAC, but VOLUME control is implemented in the CPU.
    Yeah I shouldn't have used that example. The more contradictory thing in the old post is the the statement 'you don't lose any resolution', whereas that's corrected in the long post.

I'm sure nobody but me will notice :-) Carry on.

A place where something is or could be located; a site.
    One minor point - somewhere in there was a link to a post by Sean Adams where he states that each level on the 100 point volume scale is a dB. I think it's .5 dB actually, and IIRC he corrects himself later in that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
    Yeah I shouldn't have used that example. The more contradictory thing in the old post is the the statement 'you don't lose any resolution', whereas that's corrected in the long post.

I'm sure nobody but me will notice :-) Carry on.
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by opaqueice View Post
    One minor point - somewhere in there was a link to a post by Sean Adams where he states that each level on the 100 point volume scale is a dB. I think it's .5 dB actually, and IIRC he corrects himself later in that thread.
    ooh, nice catch! I read this somewhere and thus knew it was .5 dB but did not see that difference in the post... do you have the correction reference? I will hunt for it too if I can find it. If you have the correction I will add it.

Thanks!

Edit: Found the reference. I added the correction. Thanks!
    Last edited by Eric Carroll; 2007-01-19 at 21:43.

Quote Originally Posted by totoro View Post
    Just thought I'd congratulate you for your community service.

cheers,
    Michael
    I am sure I speak for MarkL (and I know I speak for myself) when I say thank you! Not like we get more SB3s or anything ;-) Since this is my first wiki creation (such as it is) postive feedback is definately appreciated.

I am sure I speak for MarkL (and I know I speak for myself) when I say thank you! Not like we get more SB3s or anything ;-) Since this is my first wiki creation (such as it is) postive feedback is definately appreciated.
    Yes, thanks totoro. I didn't respond because I wasn't sure who you were addressing - Eric got this thread started and ceejay gave a good idea.
    Current: SB2, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Selling: Transporter
    Sold: SB3, Duet

Founder, Slim Devices seanadams's Avatar
    Are you sure about that?

My understanding is that PREAMP volume control is implemented in the DAC, but VOLUME control is implemented in the CPU.
    That is true, but they are still both the same kind of digital function. Although the preamp control is done "in" the DAC chip, it is still really "before" the DAC.

The reason we do it in the DAC chip (instead of just applying additional attenuation using the software volume control) is that we want the preamp setting to only apply to the DAC and not the S/PDIF.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lanctot View Post
    Yes, thanks totoro. I didn't respond because I wasn't sure who you were addressing - Eric got this thread started and ceejay gave a good idea.
    Sorry. I meant to include everyone involved, with an extra bump to the OP for initiative .

cheers,
    Michael
    sb touch -> classdaudio sds-450 -> audio physic tempo 4 + rel storm 3 & rythmik f12se