Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by antrad View Post
    Hello, I have a Squeezebox xr00001, no speaker audio. It does have audio out the headphone jack, and going through the menus I found a section which indicated "headphones detected" whether anything is plugged in or not. Any info on how it determines something is plugged in? I'd like to have a go at repairing this unit..
    Found the switch portion of the headset jack working normally, BUT the voltage there is only about 20mV open. Tried using a 1K pullup, to see what would happen, but the line is low resistance to ground. Traced it back through a few components, until it splits through 2 560 Ohm resistors. Disappears through some vias into the middle layers. I was hoping to find a defunct transistor switch. Any further ideas? Or a portion of a schematic?

Squeezebox v3 schematic question

Quote Originally Posted by seanadams View Post
    The full schematics have never been released. However, I'm usually happy to answer specific questions.
    Hi Sean,

Can you please tell me the component at Q2 in a Squezebox V3? Some type of transistor from On Semiconductor.

My V3 is mostly dead. Just a faint glow from the TOSLink port. It may have been exposed to incorrect voltages and/or currents when I was troubleshooting a continuously scrolling display. I thought it was a power supply problem. Anyway, I tried some other power supplies I had lying around with various values I probably shouldn't have. Now it is dead except for the faint TOSLink glow.

I found a thread in this forum with several test voltages that I was able to pass:

• 5V in the circular via next to the large capacitors - not sure exactly where this one was located.
    • 3.3V on the metal tab of the voltage regulator U18 - PASS.
    • 1.2V on the C49 side of the inductor L4 - PASS.
    • 14.8V in the via next to the right side of the ceramic cap - PASS.
    • 56V anode supply for the VFD, right side of R51 - PASS.

I'm looking at that transistor because it is close to the power jack, and because of possibly strange readings, though I barely know what I am doing.

I have a Boom, Transporter, SqueezeBox V3, and Duet. Great products. Too bad Logitech didn't really do much with them.

Quote Originally Posted by beels View Post
    Hi Sean,

Can you please tell me the component at Q2 in a Squezebox V3? Some type of transistor from On Semiconductor.

My V3 is mostly dead. Just a faint glow from the TOSLink port. It may have been exposed to incorrect voltages and/or currents when I was troubleshooting a continuously scrolling display. I thought it was a power supply problem. Anyway, I tried some other power supplies I had lying around with various values I probably shouldn't have. Now it is dead except for the faint TOSLink glow.

I found a thread in this forum with several test voltages that I was able to pass:

• 5V in the circular via next to the large capacitors - not sure exactly where this one was located.
    • 3.3V on the metal tab of the voltage regulator U18 - PASS.
    • 1.2V on the C49 side of the inductor L4 - PASS.
    • 14.8V in the via next to the right side of the ceramic cap - PASS.
    • 56V anode supply for the VFD, right side of R51 - PASS.

I'm looking at that transistor because it is close to the power jack, and because of possibly strange readings, though I barely know what I am doing.

I have a Boom, Transporter, SqueezeBox V3, and Duet. Great products. Too bad Logitech didn't really do much with them.
    I think Sean, found of slimdevices, has not posted since 2010,s o it's unlikely that you hear anything back. If you are in the EU, try to contact Jo (https://forums.slimdevices.com/membe...131-JoeMuc2009). If you are in NAM and you think you've just fried the motherboard, I have a spare one and we can try the CPU board. If this is the one fried, then the SB3 is garbage, unfortunately
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Hi Philippe - yeah, it was a longshot to reach out to Sean. I first tried to PM him, but his account isn't accepting. It has been a long time.

I doubt I've fried the main board totally, because of the several voltage tests I mentioned that did successfully pass. I was just taking a guess at that one transistor because it is close to he voltage input and might have been damaged by improper power. This weekend, I might poke around the caps with an ESR meter, but doubt that will yield anything.

I've seen working Classic/V3 listed for around $50, so that might be time better spent. I just wanted the satisfaction of fixing it if possible. Any troubleshooting is going to be a challenge without a schematic though.

Quote Originally Posted by beels View Post
    Hi Philippe - yeah, it was a longshot to reach out to Sean. I first tried to PM him, but his account isn't accepting. It has been a long time.

I doubt I've fried the main board totally, because of the several voltage tests I mentioned that did successfully pass. I was just taking a guess at that one transistor because it is close to he voltage input and might have been damaged by improper power. This weekend, I might poke around the caps with an ESR meter, but doubt that will yield anything.

I've seen working Classic/V3 listed for around $50, so that might be time better spent. I just wanted the satisfaction of fixing it if possible. Any troubleshooting is going to be a challenge without a schematic though.
    It is definitively a challenge w/o schematics. Again, Jo has a lot of experience. As just said in another thread, if you opt for an used one, don’t throw away your existing one. One of use will try to fix it to maintain LMS ecosystem
    LMS 7.7, 7.8 and 7.9 - 5xRadio, 3xBoom, 4xDuet, 1xTouch, 1 SB2. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, JBL OnBeat, XBoxOne, XBMC, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, JRiver 21, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, , Pi B3, B2, Pi B+, 2xPi A+, Odroid-C1, Odroid-C2, Cubie2, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5

Phillipe, I have 3.5V on right side of R52 (coincides with pin position 6 of VFD that I was asking about earlier. What role does the 470 MN6 ferrite coil looking thing L7 have to do with 55V rail? I show continuity across it just like the one I pulled off a dead board. Is it in fact a 10:1 wound boost transformer?

I don’t have access to any SB currently nor tools, I’m not at home. I assume there is a dc/dc boost converter to generate the 55v and that inductor may be part of it.

Quote Originally Posted by pishta View Post
    Phillipe, I have 3.5V on right side of R52 (coincides with pin position 6 of VFD that I was asking about earlier. What role does the 470 MN6 ferrite coil looking thing L7 have to do with 55V rail? I show continuity across it just like the one I pulled off a dead board. Is it in fact a 10:1 wound boost transformer?
    Found the inductor is just a single wire coil around a ferrite core. Im still investigating the high voltage "cap and diode ladder" design. Everything is testing good off board. Thinking no high voltage display voltage its a burned '351' FET right above the 470 inductor. Its the square wave triggered switcher for the inductor.