Squeezebox Schematic

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pishta
    • Sep 2019

Phillipe, I have 3.5V on right side of R52 (coincides with pin position 6 of VFD that I was asking about earlier. What role does the 470 MN6 ferrite coil looking thing L7 have to do with 55V rail? I show continuity across it just like the one I pulled off a dead board. Is it in fact a 10:1 wound boost transformer?

Comment

• philippe_44
      • May 2008

I don’t have access to any SB currently nor tools, I’m not at home. I assume there is a dc/dc boost converter to generate the 55v and that inductor may be part of it.
      LMS 8.2 on Odroid-C4 - SqueezeAMP!, 5xRadio, 5xBoom, 2xDuet, 1xTouch, 1xSB3. Sonos PLAY:3, PLAY:5, Marantz NR1603, Foobar2000, ShairPortW, 2xChromecast Audio, Chromecast v1 and v2, Squeezelite on Pi, Yamaha WX-010, AppleTV 4, Airport Express, GGMM E5, RivaArena 1 & 3

Comment

• pishta
        • Sep 2019

Originally posted by pishta
        Phillipe, I have 3.5V on right side of R52 (coincides with pin position 6 of VFD that I was asking about earlier. What role does the 470 MN6 ferrite coil looking thing L7 have to do with 55V rail? I show continuity across it just like the one I pulled off a dead board. Is it in fact a 10:1 wound boost transformer?
        Found the inductor is just a single wire coil around a ferrite core. Im still investigating the high voltage "cap and diode ladder" design. Everything is testing good off board. Thinking no high voltage display voltage its a burned '351' FET right above the 470 inductor. Its the square wave triggered switcher for the inductor.

Comment

• kiwigander
          • Jun 2020

Squeezebox Classic: volume uncontrollable

Hi all, apologies in advance for reawakening an old thread and probably not being up with the programme.

I've got a Squeezebox Classic which still works - reasonably well, as far as I can tell - except that it is no longer possible to control its output level.

With the remote I can make the display show a volume anywhere from mute to 100%, but the output level does not change. It's always full on. Of course I can control the volume with the controls on the preamp that the Squeezebox feeds, but it's a bit of a nuisance.

I gather that Logitech never got (or did get, but somehow are contractually prevented from releasing) the schematic of the Squeezebox Classic when they bought Slim Devices.

Unless the solution would be utterly obvious (eg. open the case, find a smoking ruin of a component with its identifying details still readable), I reckon servicing it would be beyond me, but I have access to a respected electronics techie. For it to be worth the cost of couriers and the techie's time, I'd like to have some clue as to where to look for the problem. Any ideas?

I see in earlier posts in this thread that there seems to be a Squeezebox guru in Germany who hangs out on the forum, but I don't see how to send him a message. As a new arrival here, do I have to establish some credit before PMing is unlocked?

TIA for any help and advice.

Comment

• slartibartfast
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by kiwigander
            Hi all, apologies in advance for reawakening an old thread and probably not being up with the programme.

I've got a Squeezebox Classic which still works - reasonably well, as far as I can tell - except that it is no longer possible to control its output level.

With the remote I can make the display show a volume anywhere from mute to 100%, but the output level does not change. It's always full on. Of course I can control the volume with the controls on the preamp that the Squeezebox feeds, but it's a bit of a nuisance.

I gather that Logitech never got (or did get, but somehow are contractually prevented from releasing) the schematic of the Squeezebox Classic when they bought Slim Devices.

Unless the solution would be utterly obvious (eg. open the case, find a smoking ruin of a component with its identifying details still readable), I reckon servicing it would be beyond me, but I have access to a respected electronics techie. For it to be worth the cost of couriers and the techie's time, I'd like to have some clue as to where to look for the problem. Any ideas?

I see in earlier posts in this thread that there seems to be a Squeezebox guru in Germany who hangs out on the forum, but I don't see how to send him a message. As a new arrival here, do I have to establish some credit before PMing is unlocked?

TIA for any help and advice.
            You haven't set it to 100% volume in player settings audio have you?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
            Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF
            Bedroom: Radio
            Bathroom: Radio

Comment

• Man in a van
              • Jan 2011

I have to establish some credit before PMing is unlocked?
              It helps

I think you want this bloke, "Honest Joe, your friendly fixer"

ronnie

and welcome, stick around.

Comment

• kiwigander
                • Jun 2020

Originally posted by slartibartfast
                You haven't set it to 100% volume in player settings audio have you?

No. In SQUEEZEBOX HOME > SETTINGS > AUDIO > VOLUME ADJUSTMENT it doesn't make any difference which option I select: SMART GAIN (which is what it was set at); TRACK GAIN; ALBUM GAIN; or NO ADJUSTMENT; when I go back out to SQUEEZEBOX HOME > SETTINGS > AUDIO > VOLUME, I still can't budge the sound level despite moving the displayed volume setting from "Muted" to "100" and back.

Comment

• slartibartfast
                  • Jan 2010

No. In SQUEEZEBOX HOME > SETTINGS > AUDIO > VOLUME ADJUSTMENT it doesn't make any difference which option I select: SMART GAIN (which is what it was set at); TRACK GAIN; ALBUM GAIN; or NO ADJUSTMENT; when I go back out to SQUEEZEBOX HOME > SETTINGS > AUDIO > VOLUME, I still can't budge the sound level despite moving the displayed volume setting from "Muted" to "100" and back.
                  Isn't there a setting like the attached image? There is for the Touch but I don't know about others.

Living Room: Touch or Squeezelite (Pi3B) > Topping E30 > Audiolab 8000A > Monitor Audio S5 + BK200-XLS DF

Comment

• bpa
                    • Oct 2005

Most of the SB Classic / SB3 is software controlled so a software issues is most likely cause. Try doing a xilinx reset.

Comment

• kiwigander
                      • Jun 2020

Originally posted by slartibartfast
                      Isn't there a setting like the attached image? There is for the Touch but I don't know about others.

No such setting that I can find in the Squeezebox Classic.

Comment

• slartibartfast
                        • Jan 2010

No such setting that I can find in the Squeezebox Classic.
                        I found a thread in the Audiogon forum saying that it was possible to set the SB3/Classic to 100% volume.
                        How would one disable the volume output on the Squeezebox touch? I have the tab highlighting 'no volume control' within the Squeezebox menu but still I ...

Can you post a screenshot of the Audio settings page in LMS?

Comment

• kiwigander
                          • Jun 2020

Originally posted by bpa
                          Most of the SB Classic / SB3 is software controlled so a software issues is most likely cause. Try doing a xilinx reset.
                          I take it a "xilinx reset" is what the manual terms a "factory reset". I had done that, or at least done as much of it as I could, already. It made no difference. I've just done it again (and again, it didn't work quite the way the instructions said it should*), and it's again made no difference.
                          *The manual states,

"How do I reset Squeezebox to factory default settings?
                          Plug the power connector into Squeezebox while holding down the ADD
                          button on the remote until you see the Set Up Networking prompt."

Which I've done, but the Set Up Networking prompt never appears while I'm holding down the ADD button on the remote. Instead, the display flashes "factory reset", then some portion of the left hand side of the Logitech logo and name, over and over. When I let go the ADD button, then I do see the prompt for Set Up Networking. Misbehaviour on the part of the Squeezebox or just poor editing of the manual?

(I agree, it looks like a software or configuration error, not a hardware fault, but how can I make progress?)

Comment

• karlek
                            • Apr 2015

I take it a "xilinx reset" is what the manual terms a "factory reset".
                            No, it’s not.
                            To reset the Xilinx (chip?) you’ll have to hold the „1“ on the remote control while powering up again.
                            At least I think it’s the „1“.

Comment

• Paul Webster
                              • Apr 2005

See http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...et_and_Last_FW for how to force the Xilinx reset (not the same as Factory Reset).
                              Paul Webster
                              Author of "Now Playing" plugins covering Radio France (FIP etc), PlanetRadio (Bauer - Kiss, Absolute, Scala, JazzFM etc), KCRW, ABC Australia and CBC/Radio-Canada
                              and, via the extra "Radio Now Playing" plugin lots more - see https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...Playing-plugin

Comment

• kiwigander
                                • Jun 2020

Originally posted by karlek
                                No, it’s not.
                                To reset the Xilinx (chip?) you’ll have to hold the „1“ on the remote control while powering up again.
                                At least I think it’s the „1“.
                                Aha. Thank you.

I've now done a Xilinx reset: held '1' key on remote, inserted power lead into Squeezebox, waited for "programming xilinx" to disappear, saw Logitech logo appear, released '1' key, went through setup sequence; volume still stuck at 100% no matter where I set it with the remote.

Comment

Working...