Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FLAC album art weirdness (stupid noob tricks)

I recently transcoded my collection from alac to flac. As part of the process, I stuck all of the album art in the same directories as their respective albums, all named "cover.jpg" or "cover.gif".

My tree structure is left over from itunes, so it's
    Artist/Album/*.flac, cover.jpg

Weirdly, a few of the covers just don't appear in the web interface, no matter what I do. The directories in question don't have any weird characters in their names (there are spaces, but this is winxp, so I wouldn't think this would be a problem, and the vast majority work fine).

I can't see any obvious commonality here: the ones that aren't showing up are all .jpg files. They open up fine in gimp, I've tried re-saving them at different sizes, etc, all to no avail.

But I've tried uninistalling and reinstalling the server, and exactly the same files ended up not working, so there must be _something_ about them the server doesn't like.

Has anyone else noticed this kind of behavior? Is it something to do with the db getting wedged in a funny state?

On that topic, is there a mysql client people like to use for browsing the table structures, executing and looking at results of queries, etc?
    sb touch -> classdaudio sds-450 -> audio physic tempo 4 + rel storm 3 & rythmik f12se

FLAC album art weirdness (stupid noob tricks)

Hi,

In article <totoro.2jihq01167285602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
    totoro<totoro.2jihq01167285602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    > Weirdly, a few of the covers just don't appear in the web interface, no
    > matter what I do. The directories in question don't have any weird
    > characters in their names (there are spaces, but this is winxp, so I
    > wouldn't think this would be a problem, and the vast majority work
    > fine).

Do they appear in the album list? Do they appear when you 'drill down' into
    an album's details?

If the first is no, and the second is yes, then you probably just need to do
    a full 'clear and rescan'.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hawkins View Post
    Hi,

In article <totoro.2jihq01167285602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
    totoro<totoro.2jihq01167285602 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    > Weirdly, a few of the covers just don't appear in the web interface, no
    > matter what I do. The directories in question don't have any weird
    > characters in their names (there are spaces, but this is winxp, so I
    > wouldn't think this would be a problem, and the vast majority work
    > fine).

Do they appear in the album list? Do they appear when you 'drill down' into
    an album's details?

If the first is no, and the second is yes, then you probably just need to do
    a full 'clear and rescan'.

Andy
    They don't appear at all. I tried a couple full rescans to see what would happen, but nothing changed.

I _did_ have something similar happen with my alac file tree, with one particular album (oddly enough, that one is working fine now with my flac file tree).
    sb touch -> classdaudio sds-450 -> audio physic tempo 4 + rel storm 3 & rythmik f12se

Do you have Windows set to show the .jpg suffix? I had a problem with this. None of my albums showed up in Slimserver until I changed this setting. It's under control panel>folder options>file types. Highlight jpeg files and hit the advanced button to check the appropriate box.
    Last edited by Kyle; 2006-12-28 at 09:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Do you have Windows set to show the .jpg suffix? I had a problem with this. None of my albums showed up in Softsqueeze until I changed this setting. It's under control panel>folder options>file types. Highlight jpeg files and hit the advanced button to check the appropriate box.
    I do. The vast majority of album covers are showing up. Somewhere around 1% are not showing up. Odd, but not catastrophic. Really, I'm trying to figure out whether this is worth entering a bug, or if it's just user error (I hate when others enter bugs against me which are user errors, so I try not to do it myself ).

You also might try removing one of the albums that is not showing and doing a full clear and rescan. Check and make sure the album is gone. Then return the album to your music file and scan for new and changed music.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    You also might try removing one of the albums that is not showing and doing a full clear and rescan. Check and make sure the album is gone. Then return the album to your music file and scan for new and changed music.
    I'll try that when I get home from work. One other obvious thing I haven't tried is to replace cover.jpg in one of those directories with one that _is_ showing up somewhere else.

Thanks for the help.

Re: FLAC album art weirdness (stupid noob tricks)

Hi,

In article <totoro.2jj76n1167318601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
    totoro<totoro.2jj76n1167318601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    > They don't appear at all. I tried a couple full rescans to see what
    > would happen, but nothing changed.

The only thing I can suggest then is that you check the permissions on the
    files. What OS are you using (XP I think?)

If Slimserver is running as a service under a particular user, make sure
    that user has access to the cover art files that aren't working (compare the
    permissions with one that does).

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Hawkins View Post
    Hi,

In article <totoro.2jj76n1167318601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
    totoro<totoro.2jj76n1167318601 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    > They don't appear at all. I tried a couple full rescans to see what
    > would happen, but nothing changed.

The only thing I can suggest then is that you check the permissions on the
    files. What OS are you using (XP I think?)

If Slimserver is running as a service under a particular user, make sure
    that user has access to the cover art files that aren't working (compare the
    permissions with one that does).

Andy
    I'm using xp. I'm not sure what user slimserver is running as (I need to check), but I assume it's either my login or system. I can edit the files in question and save them, so if it's that account, that's not the issue.

I wasn't aware that slimserver got installed as a service. I'll look into this when I get home.

Thanks,
    Michael

The permissions are the same as the ones on the files that do work.

I think I'll give up on this one now: it's beginning to feel too much like work -- maybe I'll just listen to some music instead...

Not sure there's any point in entering a bug about it, since I'd be willing to bet that it's really hard to reproduce, and still could turn out to be the result of some error on my part.