Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ideal remote to browse slimserver? (not nokia 770 though)

Hey, so here what my future setup will look like when complete.

Arcam amp; squeezebox: hidden windows pc as server; laptop. (plans for amp/sb3 in a second room as well.)

I would really like to run the whole setup from a device that is more handheld in nature, as opposed to the laptop. When I get this project done, I'll have enough gear to set up a second squeezebox in another room.

I would like to be able to browse slimserver with a handheld. I can't really see myself putting my laptop on my nightstand, and I don't want to sit around with it on my couch all the time.

The PSP looks like a convenient way to go. It seems like the joystick could be a good way to navigate. I read some comments about how just getting for the SB isn't a great idea. Why is that? I have a Pronto at work and it really sucks for me. I'm not a big touch-screen fan.

Do any of the Harmony or Universal remotes allow you to browse slimserver? Is there a good pocket pc alternative.

Would any of these alternatives let me carry the remote into the other room to drive a second SB?

What else should I be asking?

Without any feedback, I think a good setup would be a Universal mx500 for my AV setup and a PSP to browse slimserver.

I have used my wifes Palm TX to control slimserver. It works OK, but the browser doesn't cache, so page switching is pretty slow. Otherwise, it works great.

Everyone needs a PDA, even if they think they don't.

TD

Ideal remote to browse slimserver? (not nokia 770 though)

PDAs suck even worse than computers, which suck pretty badly. The idea
    of having to manage my remote control, put it on a charging cradle
    when it's not in use, or wait for it to reload a web page fills me
    with shuddering horror.

I've monkeyed around with the various options on an ipaq 4150 that I
    have, trying to find some way to make the little PoS useful, but
    instead it continues to gather dust on top of the bookshelf.
    SlimRemote, TelCanto, Handheld skin, Nokia 770 skin, all of them made
    me want to throw the little device away as soon as the "oh, that's
    kind of nifty" feeling of getting it to work was gone.

The Squeezebox comes with a delightfully functional little remote that
    is interchangeable throughout the house. For night stand use, I'd
    upgrade to the lighted button remote. If you'd like something with
    lots more buttons for controlling more things, the Harmony line seems
    to make sense, though in my opinion the whole concept of a universal
    remote is deeply flawed.

--
    "I spent all me tin with the ladies drinking gin,
    So across the Western ocean I must wander" -- traditional

ok, that's good advice. kinda lame, but good to know. seems like the 770 works pretty well. a bit bigger than i would like...

Quote Originally Posted by roll - gybe View Post
    ok, that's good advice. kinda lame, but good to know. seems like the 770 works pretty well. a bit bigger than i would like...
    I'm 100% with stinkingpig on this one. I have a nokia770. It's fun for the "wow" factor. But when it comes time to actually use the thing, I reach for the IR remote every time. It's really superior to all the other control methods, in my estimation (particularly if you're familiar with what's in your catalog).

Quote Originally Posted by azinck3 View Post
    I'm 100% with stinkingpig on this one. I have a nokia770. It's fun for the "wow" factor. But when it comes time to actually use the thing, I reach for the IR remote every time. It's really superior to all the other control methods, in my estimation (particularly if you're familiar with what's in your catalog).
    I wrote the Nokia770 slimserver skin code and I'm pretty proud of how it's turned out thus far but, believe it or not, I'm in complete agreement with the previous posters. Slim's IR remote is what I use to control my squeezeboxen about 99% of the time. Works great, it's responsive, does the job. Managing playlists and viewing cover art are the drawbacks of the IR remote, but those drawbacks don't outweigh the ease of use provided by the IR remote. Price tag is nice, too.

I see the UI endgame for me being a GUI, always-connected, touchscreen that sits close to (or is part of) the squeezebox, handles cover art, visually manages playlists, is silent, and is not as obtrusive as a full-size LCD. That product doesn't really exist right now (aside from the $12K Sooloos money pit), which is what drew me to start working on the Nokia 770. The 770 should be considered a first-generation device (even first in its class), and while loaded with "wow", it's not ideal as a slimserver controller. I will say, however, that the device drove some new thinking into slimserver skins, particularly with using AJAX for a more responsive user experience. That bodes well for the future.

I'd also like a knob on the squeezebox, but of course I've said that before...

cheers,
    #!/ben
    Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
    Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/
    KHAAAN!...BUNNIES!

Ben,

I am sure I have asked this before but for the others as well, is the Ajax code of the Nokia skin in the 7.0 trunk only or is it in the 6.5.1 nightly as well?
    Paul

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Squeeze Server 7.9 on Windows 2012 R2
    SB3 x1, Squeezebox Boom x 1 (Deceased - 2018), Radio with (battery) x 1, Touch x 1, piCoreplayer (with HifiBerry DAC+ Pro) x 1
    RIP - dBpowerAMP R16 to FLAC
    ID3 Tags - MP3Tag v2.89 & Discogs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I wonder how the "Archos 604 WIFI 30GB" would compare to a Nokia 770? The Archos would be useful as a mobile media player (and as a DVR with the DVR addon) and its use as a SB remote would only be secondary - but I wonder how the processor, responsiveness and the 4,3" 480*272 screen would compare to the Nokia...? Seems much more useful for me, except for the much lower resolution (Nokia has 800*480)

(the WIFI model is a new version of the Archos 604)

http://www.archos.com/products/video...global&lang=en
    SB3-->Meridian G68-->NuForce Ref8.200W-->Bc Acoustique ACT A3

wonder how the "Archos 604 WIFI 30GB" would compare to a Nokia 770? The Archos would be useful as a mobile media player (and as a DVR with the DVR addon) and its use as a SB remote would only be secondary - but I wonder how the processor, responsiveness and the 4,3" 480*272 screen would compare to the Nokia...? Seems much more useful for me, except for the much lower resolution (Nokia has 800*480)

Co-incidentally I was just about to post the same comment!

It looks like you did!
    SB3-->Meridian G68-->NuForce Ref8.200W-->Bc Acoustique ACT A3