Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

External DAC Issues with SB3 via SPDIF

Hello,

I just received a SB3 with intentions on using this with my external DAC's SPDIF Coax inputs. It is a higher end unit with no TOSLINK. Unit has no problems locking on to any CD player or DVD Player I have over the years, at 16/44.1, 24/96 etc...

With the SB3, I get no sync and no signal. Again, connecting DAC immediately using the same cable to my CD players coax output immediately works again through the DAC. I have never had sync issues before with it.

Here is the interesting part. If I connect the SB3 to my el-cheapo Pioneer A/V receiver via the same SPDIF it works just fine. However, the sound is horrible by comparison to my high-end DAC and unacceptable to me.

Question: Do I need to return the Squeezebox 3 and forget the whole thing, or is there anything that can be done?

I really love the SB3, and have all my music streaming in FLAC just ready to sound good.

Thanks for any help on this matter, I hope I can fix the problem.

Regards
    Jim

In player settings>audio>'turn off audio' you could try switching to 'disable outputs when off'. Then toggle the power on/off and skip forward two or three tracks to see if it locks.

Ben Sandee

External DAC Issues with SB3 via SPDIF

On 11/30/06, jt25741 <jt25741.2i4djz1164947401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
    wrote:
    >
    >
    > I just received a SB3 with intentions on using this with my external
    > DAC's SPDIF Coax inputs. It is a higher end unit with no TOSLINK.
    > Unit has no problems locking on to any CD player or DVD Player I have
    > over the years, at 16/44.1, 24/96 etc...

Is it just my imagination or did you never actually say what your 'higher
    end unit' actually was? If nothing else, it would be a reference point.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Sandee View Post
    On 11/30/06, jt25741 <jt25741.2i4djz1164947401 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
    wrote:
    >
    >

Ben
    Hello ben. The unit is a few years old now and discontinued(EVS MII DAC). You can read about it here:

http://www.tweakaudio.com/Millennium%20DAC.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Sandee View Post
    wrote:
    >
    >

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
    In player settings>audio>'turn off audio' you could try switching to 'disable outputs when off'. Then toggle the power on/off and skip forward two or three tracks to see if it locks.

Unfortunately this did not help. Thanks for the suggestion. Any other ideas?

You could try setting digital volume control in player settings>audio to 'fixed', or turning the volume on the SB3 to 100 if it's set to variable.

I believe replay gain is disabled by default, but you might check. Also check that bitrate limiting is set to no limit.

In server settings>file types you could make sure Flac>Flac(built in) is checked.

Doing the above should ensure that the DAC sees what looks like a 16 bit signal.

There is also a thing in player settings called audio startup time, which helps DAC's lock onto mp3 streams. Perhaps you could try specifying a value there.

Quote Originally Posted by Skunk View Post
    You could try setting digital volume control in player settings>audio to 'fixed', or turning the volume on the SB3 to 100 if it's set to variable.

I believe replay gain is disabled by default, but you might check. Also check that bitrate limiting is set to no limit.

In server settings>file types you could make sure Flac>Flac(built in) is checked.

Doing the above should ensure that the DAC sees what looks like a 16 bit signal.

There is also a thing in player settings called audio startup time, which helps DAC's lock onto mp3 streams. Perhaps you could try specifying a value there.

I have tried to mess with the volume setting, it was on max anyways. It doesnt seem to matter. I tried to disable the volume feature setting in the player settings menu, but it appears not to work(Volume still does work after slecting disable). As for the "audio startup time", this menu option does not exist, at least in the settings sub-menus. Is there a special menu hidden somewhere that I need to find first?

Thanks very much.

Jim

After you adjust a setting you have to hit the 'change' button.

Audio startup is just below preamp volume control and digital volume control in player settings for me..

Quote Originally Posted by jt25741 View Post
    (Volume still does work after slecting disable)
    It will continue to work for the analog output, and the volume slider will move but the digital out will be full vol regardless. If the DAC isn't producing sound you wouldn't really know if it worked/not (unless you meant through the receiver?)

Ben Sandee

Re: External DAC Issues with SB3 via SPDIF

On 12/1/06, jt25741 <jt25741.2i4hyb1164953101 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>
    wrote:
    >
    > Hello ben. The unit is a few years old now and discontinued(EVS MII
    > DAC). You can read about it here:
    >
    > http://www.tweakaudio.com/Millennium%20DAC.html

If I were you I would contact SD support at support (AT) slimdevices (DOT) com. This
    really seems like something not interacting well at the firmware level.
    Others have exhausted most of the potential diagnostic techniques.

Ben