Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

"Click" between tracks

Hi

I have been using my SB3 now for a month or so, and am delighted with the music reproduction etc. It has transformed the way I listen to my collection.

One thing I have noticed is an audible "click" between tracks as I am playing back the music - is this normal or a function of my network? (I stream wirelessly across a home network).

Any info/pointers would be gratefully received.

Thanks

mav

No, its not normal, there is something wrong.

First make sure you have the latest software (6.5.1 nighly) installed, see if you still have the problem.

If you do, what happens when you play the same tracks through a software player on your computer? Same click?

If following these ideas up doesn't help, you'll need to be more specific to get more help here - what file format, how did you rip them, what OS are you running on?

Ceejay

I am running v6.5.0 on a Qnap tS101 - I dont think I can get 6.5.1 yet.

I dont get the same noise when just playing through slimserver and softsqueeze on my laptop - must be the network?

I scan the albums with itunes into lossless format.

Any more suggeations?

thanks

mav

Might be worth trying a sample album in a different format. If you are ripping to AAC lossless then your QNAP will have to transcode it on the fly to something that the SB3 can understand like FLAC.

Try ripping one to WAV - it will use more network bandwidth but means no transcoding and I assume that iTunes can do that for you...

Ceejay

"Click" between tracks

Hi,

In article <mav.2g31qn1161526201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>,
    mav<mav.2g31qn1161526201 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com> wrote:
    > One thing I have noticed is an audible "click" between tracks as I am
    > playing back the music - is this normal or a function of my network? (I
    > stream wirelessly across a home network).

I think I've read on here somewhere a recent problem whereby people appear
    to be 'hearing' the SB trying to play the albumart tags.

Do your files have embedded album art? Can you try a file that doesn't? Does
    the problem go away?

Not sure of the status of this issue.

Andy

Thumbs up A click also

I had the same problem and discovered that it was only MP3s that were ripped using iTunes.....I used DBPowerAmp to recode them to MP3 and problem has gone............for those of you who get the screech before tracks this was indeed embedded album art and I used MP3 tag tools to remove album art. I only use cover.jpg in each album folder and SB3 no longer screeches before tracks.

mp3tag magic required to show AlbumArt tag?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    I had the same problem and discovered that it was only MP3s that were ripped using iTunes.....I used DBPowerAmp to recode them to MP3 and problem has gone............for those of you who get the screech before tracks this was indeed embedded album art and I used MP3 tag tools to remove album art. I only use cover.jpg in each album folder and SB3 no longer screeches before tracks.
    I got my hopes up when I saw this, for I discovered one album of mp3 files where there's a loud click at the start of every single track; it doesn't happen in WMP; and despite my best attempts to keep iTunes away from my SlimServer files, it does show this album, complete with artwork, so the little bastard has certainly scanned the file at least, and may well have changed it, without my permission. (Which is why I use iTunes as rarely as possible. I just don't trust it *at all*.)

However, mp3tag doesn't seem to see any AlbumArt tag (or similar), so there's nothing that I can delight in explicitly removing. (Well, the Comment tag seems to be full of some sort of iTunes volume-levelling junk, but taking that out didn't help.)

Is there yet another secret configuration option (called something like "hide useful settings from Brian") that needs to be changed? (It took ages to find out how to get mp3tag to show, and then remove, rubbishy non-ID3v2 tags.)

I've tried simply saving the tags again (which should remove all but ID3v2, following my discovery of the right secret incantations), but it made no difference on the one track I tried afterwards.

When I say "tried", I mean that after the (putative) change I browsed by Music Folder and added the track to the current playlist. I'm assuming that there's no caching going on (in which case I probably didn't even need to browse, but surely no harm in doing so); a "scan for new/changed" takes far too long for repetitive "poke the file and see" experiments like this.

I suppose I could try converting it from mp3 to mp3, but I fear that (a) this won't change the right things and (b) it will reduce the quality.

-- Brian

Brian - I'm not certain that your last experiment would have caused the modified file to be rescanned. You should try a full rescan to be sure. Also, what version of SS are you running? There have been a lot of bug fixes going into the 6.5.1 nightlies...

Ceejay

SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 10207 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

I've done a full rescan, but the tracks still click. Guess there's still something in there.
    I'm fairly sure they weren't always like this - I've played them before on the SB3 and didn't notice any click. I do suspect that iTunes has done something to them (that SS doesn't like); but it's not showing up in mp3tag.

I haven't tried converting one from mp3 to mp3 yet. (Been too busy listening to other things!)

I suppose I could try a more recent nightly, though I'm always wary of being tripped up by new problems!

-- Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ritchie View Post
    SlimServer Version: 6.5.1 - 10207 - Windows XP - EN - cp1252

I suppose I could try a more recent nightly, though I'm always wary of being tripped up by new problems!
    I finally did this last night (20th Dec nightly). Hey presto! No more clicks!

-- Brian