Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Visa and Mastercard Cut Off AllofMP3

Visa and Mastercard have stopped accepting credit card transactions for
    Russian music downloading site AllofMP3.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/...ss/6065492.stm

--
    Bill Burns
    Long Island NY USA
    http://ftldesign.com

I thought this was old news TBH, they stoped taking Visa and Mastercard a few weeks ago, and Paypal months ago. Maybe its just official now. They are already in the process of getting around it with some kind of credit/voucher system from what i can tell.
    Last edited by autopilot; 2006-10-19 at 16:50.
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

FWIW guys, I just replenished my allofmp3 account today WITH MC.
    My last refill was via Click&Buy since there was no MC option. Guess they just re-instated that payment option.

Does it not flag up to people that there is something not right about allofmp3.com if money grabbing credit card companies are refusing payment through them?

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    Does it not flag up to people that there is something not right about allofmp3.com if money grabbing credit card companies are refusing payment through them?
    Many people want cheap music and evidently don't mind funding the Russian mafia. It makes them feel like they're not stealing if they pay somebody for it.

(Putting on flame suit)

Quote Originally Posted by dae3dae3 View Post
    Many people want cheap music and evidently don't mind funding the Russian mafia. It makes them feel like they're not stealing if they pay somebody for it.
    For me it's not really the price, but the fact that it's DRM free. I'd be happy to pay 99cents a track if it were of good quality and DRM free. If my 99cents is just going to get me a lower quality and crippled song (DRM'd) I'd rather just buy the CD and rip it for around the same price per track (although with a CD I have to buy all the tracks).

-Greg

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    I think this is a case of the bigger bully (RIAA) winning a round in the war. They (RIAA) can't control Russia and allofmp3.com but they can control the companies that handle transactions.

I wish the RIAA would wake up and take a hint from the success of allofmp3.com - this is what the consumers want. If they embraced this type of business model, I think they'd do just fine.

Cheers.
    [shabbs]

Audio: SB1 --> Technics SA-DX1040 --> customs; SB3 --> Yamaha RX-V661 --> JBL E30's

Quote Originally Posted by dae3dae3 View Post

(Putting on flame suit)
    Russian mafia? that sounds like something an RIAA spokesperson would say! Is there any evidence to support that?
    You may view using Allofmp3 as wrong from a moral standpoint, as the bands get little money from it. But then even many American (and British) corporations, such as Nike and McDonalds operate in even more imoral ways. Yet it seen as un American to not buy from them.

From a legal point of view, it has not been proven to be illegal, dispite constant investigations. The US authorities have consistantly failed to shut them down. Its not illegal to purchace the music over there and its not illegal to import music, the RIAA is telling lies.

There will always be ways around the payment system, but the only feasible way to stop people using it is to bully the ISPs into blocking access. It surely cant be long before they do.

It might be wrong in some ways to use it, but thats a moral choice which people cant make there own mind up over. Heavy handed restrictive DRM is just as wrong imo.

Whos fault is it that allofmp3.com is the only place worth downloading music from?
    Last edited by autopilot; 2006-10-21 at 02:52.
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

Quote Originally Posted by autopilot View Post
    Whos fault is it that allofmp3.com is the only place worth downloading music from?
    If your tastes are slightly different from the mainstream (ie, the smaller labels), you should check out http://www.emusic.com and http://www.bleep.com Both deliver high-quality non-DRM MP3's and seem to be properly licensed.

Cheers,
    Simon