Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 3 of 40 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    And the biggest Avatar already has...

Well i don┤t see a problem in general but can┤t imagine going to my fellow telling him: "Hey, i heard a Logitech audiobox that sounds better than your Naim"
    I bet he will recommend me the best doctor he knows

My immediate thoughts are to the purchase of Harmony by Logitech a while ago. When I bought my first Harmony remote they were a small company making innovative products which worked really well but which could have used better industrial design, packaging and marketing. They even had a kind of open-source aspect in that the DB of IR codes were user submitted. I was pretty bummed when I heard they were bought by Logitech, but the net outcome has been fairly positive. The products look a _lot_ slicker, work generally just as well as before, and they're a lot easier to get hold of now. I would say support has gone downhill, and I too dislike any Logitech-supplied software I've ever used (SetPoint - ugh!), but I'm still buying the remotes

IMHO Slim don't need help in the design department, but having Logitech's marketing group behind them won't hurt. I am a little concerned about support and general QC (my Harmony 880 STILL won't charge properly because of a faulty cradle, and support are pretty horrible to deal with) but we'll see.

My major concern is that the desire for people to pitch in and help with the software will dry up as Logitech can surely afford to hire as many devs as they need and everyone knows it. Slimserver wouldn't be what it is now if it were a purely in-house product. But again, if Logitech can find some way of keeping the small club feeling whilst expanding the user base 10x, then maybe it'll all be OK.

I can say one thing though - any fancy schmancy remote they make better work with my Transporter!

So I bought a Harmony remote and Logitech bought Harmony. Then I buy a Slim Devices SB and Logitech buy SD. OK, I'm gonna buy a wood chipper this weekend - let's see Logitech buy Yard Machines.

Steve.

Re: Logitech to acquire Slim Devices!

> Actually I am not sure I see a dicotomy between tech-led development
    > and user-friendliness. In fact I was personally impressed about the
    > ease of installation and of use of my Squeeze Box. The user interface
    > of the Slim Server could probably become more consumer oriented. Yet
    > this is not a priority.
    >
    > We are much more interested in extending the current technology to new
    > hardware products and new markets.
    >
    > I also hope that the open source community will continue to be
    > motivated by making the products stronger and more versatile.

Video squeezebox??
    (not actually interested in one myself)

Will logitek on board (with their added clout) mean DRM support?
    (again, not that I am actually interested myself!)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveEast View Post
    So I bought a Harmony remote and Logitech bought Harmony. Then I buy a Slim Devices SB and Logitech buy SD. OK, I'm gonna buy a wood chipper this weekend - let's see Logitech buy Yard Machines.
    ...and it would fit nicely into the product line, rebranded as a floppy, paper, disk shredder.

Founder, Slim Devices seanadams's Avatar
    //I can't blame you for doing this, but i too am very worried.

When we first started down this road, I was worried too! However, Logitech has an extremely good track record with the very few acquisitions that they've done. I've been very impressed by the fact that those companies have not only prospered, but maintained their personality, their autonomy, and their key people.

// So please now please dispense with the vague PR speak, and please be as up front and honest as you can - how is this actually going to work? 1) Will Logitech just own the company, with Slim Devices operating as a separate entity?

Slim Devices will become a distinct division within Logitech.

//Or will the Slim Devices brand name be phased out and the next model (SB4?) with a 'Logitech' device? i fear the latter. In fact it pretty obvious really, in the long term anyway

We haven't nailed down all the naming specifics yet. However, Logitech's brand is of enormous value to us, and it will appear on our products as we get into their channels.

//2) Will Logitech leaving the Slim Devices team alone to carry on their great work? After all, Logitech effort in this sector have been less than amazing. Much Logitech software is a dog in my experience. The setpoint crap was terrible last time i used it.

I would say that their hardware strengths complement our software capabilities. The plan is to combine only the best aspects of both companies.

//Will Slim Server remain open source? Be honest now, I Fear not in the long term. Please don’t lose sight of what made Slimserver so popular and won so many people over.

Absolutely. And furthermore, we will continue to lead its development.

// I hope this is a positive move for us consumers. I am sure it will be one for SD and Logitech (financially anyway). But the ethos of both companies is so different … Logitech = Mass market, bang ‘em out. Dumbed down and closed systems Slim Devices = Consumer centric, “it’s ready when it’s ready” listening to the customer and responding in a personal way, open source.

We're actually not all _that_ different, but again this is a point where we will complement each other, not a conflict.

// The response I got when I mouse was faulty was a totally different experience to what I got when my SB3 screen failed. Are they REALLY compatible in their current forms? Again, I doubt it.

Tech support will by handled by our team, as it is a completely different animal than supporting a single-function device such a mouse.

//Let not forget the edgy ‘cool’ factor that the Slim Devices products have. I’m sorry, but Logitech just don’t have that, no matter how hard you pretend I will always associate Logitech with low end PC speaker systems and horrible keyboards. Just assimilating Slim Devices could be a disaster for the SB and it’s fans.

Hmmm... personally I have been very happy with their keybaords and mice for many years. I don't know if your position is widely held, but you are cetainly entitled to it.

//This could be sooooo right for Slim Devices, more money could mean even better products. But Logitech is a large corp and I fear they just want a cash cow like every other large corp.

I think their track record with previous acquisitions demonstrates that they know how to invest appropriately to grow new divisions quickly. We are really looking forward to being able to expand our engineering team.

//Sorry for being so negative, but we have seen this before, no matter how chipper the PR releases are.[/QUOTE]

It's quite alright. You've made some great points, and they are concerns that we all raised very early in our discussions with Logitech. Personally, I am feeling very good about this, but I've had a lot longer to get to know their people.
    Last edited by seanadams; 2006-10-18 at 23:35. Reason: division, not a subsidiary

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat View Post
    And the biggest Avatar already has...

Well i don┤t see a problem in general but can┤t imagine going to my fellow telling him: "Hey, i heard a Logitech audiobox that sounds better than your Naim"
    I bet he will recommend me the best doctor he knows
    Indeed, does Logitech do niche products? And how are you going to get the audiophilie community, that you are after with the transporter, to get over the 'Logitech' name? Can the logitech brand become synonymous with high/quality end audio/HiFi kit? I hope you can, but it will be a very steep climb indeed.
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

Quote Originally Posted by junien View Post
    Actually I am not sure I see a dicotomy between tech-led development and user-friendliness.
    Junien, thanks for saying what I couldn't tactfully. That goes a long way into easing my fears.

Open-source can absolutely work for the mass-market, and already has. Firefox is probably the type example of that.

#!/ben
    Former Logitech Developer: Squeezeplay/SqueezeOS/SqueezeboxController/SqueezeCenter
    Community Developer: Nokia770Skin (r.i.p.)

http://www.last.fm/user/bklaas/
    KHAAAN!...BUNNIES!

Quote Originally Posted by seanadams View Post
    //I can't blame you for doing this, but i too am very worried.

When we first started down this road, I was worried too! However, Logitech has an extremely good track record with the very few acquisitions that they've done. I've been very impressed by the fact that those companies have not only prospered, but maintained their personality, their autonomy, and their key people.

// So please now please dispense with the vague PR speak, and please be as up front and honest as you can - how is this actually going to work? 1) Will Logitech just own the company, with Slim Devices operating as a separate entity?

Slim Devices will become a wholly-owned subsidiary.

//Or will the Slim Devices brand name be phased out and the next model (SB4?) with a 'Logitech' device? i fear the latter. In fact it pretty obvious really, in the long term anyway

We haven't nailed down all the naming specifics yet. However, Logitech's brand is of enormous value to us, and it will appear on our products as we get into their channels.

//2) Will Logitech leaving the Slim Devices team alone to carry on their great work? After all, Logitech effort in this sector have been less than amazing. Much Logitech software is a dog in my experience. The setpoint crap was terrible last time i used it.

I would say that their hardware strengths complement our software capabilities. The plan is to combine only the best aspects of both companies.

//Will Slim Server remain open source? Be honest now, I Fear not in the long term. Please don’t lose sight of what made Slimserver so popular and won so many people over.

Absolutely. And furthermore, we will continue to lead its development.

// I hope this is a positive move for us consumers. I am sure it will be one for SD and Logitech (financially anyway). But the ethos of both companies is so different … Logitech = Mass market, bang ‘em out. Dumbed down and closed systems Slim Devices = Consumer centric, “it’s ready when it’s ready” listening to the customer and responding in a personal way, open source.

We're actually not all _that_ different, but again this is a point where we will complement each other, not a conflict.

// The response I got when I mouse was faulty was a totally different experience to what I got when my SB3 screen failed. Are they REALLY compatible in their current forms? Again, I doubt it.

Tech support will by handled by our team, as it is a completely different animal than supporting a single-function device such a mouse.

//Let not forget the edgy ‘cool’ factor that the Slim Devices products have. I’m sorry, but Logitech just don’t have that, no matter how hard you pretend I will always associate Logitech with low end PC speaker systems and horrible keyboards. Just assimilating Slim Devices could be a disaster for the SB and it’s fans.

Hmmm... personally I have been very happy with their keybaords and mice for many years. I don't know if your position is widely held, but you are cetainly entitled to it.

//This could be sooooo right for Slim Devices, more money could mean even better products. But Logitech is a large corp and I fear they just want a cash cow like every other large corp.

I think their track record with previous acquisitions demonstrates that they know how to invest appropriately to grow new divisions quickly. We are really looking forward to being able to expand our engineering team.

//Sorry for being so negative, but we have seen this before, no matter how chipper the PR releases are.

It's quite alright. You've made some great points, and they are concerns that we all raised very early in our discussions with Logitech. Personally, I am feeling very good about this, but I've had a lot longer to get to know their people.
    Thank you Sean, i very much appreciate you taking time in responding to my points. I was only worried about the product i like so much. This has helped. I'm not totally convinced, but time will tell. Just don't let those corporate monkeys ever push you around and continue making products as good as the SB range and Tranporter!

Good luck to you Sean.
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar

Re: Logitech to acquire Slim Devices!

Quoting radish <radish.2fw9zn1161210301 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com>:

> My major concern is that the desire for people to pitch in and help
    > with the software will dry up as Logitech can surely afford to hire as
    > many devs as they need and everyone knows it. Slimserver wouldn't be
    > what it is now if it were a purely in-house product. But again, if
    > Logitech can find some way of keeping the small club feeling whilst
    > expanding the user base 10x, then maybe it'll all be OK.

From the working side of the picture, I can certainly imagine that
    expanding user base with the existing small club will be crippling.
    Those of us working on "free time" (don't get me wrong, free kit is
    cool, but it is a lot of time spent to get it) can easily end up
    trampled. Even just the added base from SB3 and the NY Times press
    gets hard to manage. I used to read every single forum/mail post and
    responded to easily over 50%. Now, subject is critical or I just
    don't have the time. Thankfully others have pitched in with the
    helpful info. I think the high profile of Logitech can work both
    ways. More money for in-house resources, but also a higher profile
    for attracting contributors. Selfishly speaking, I already have more
    than one SqueezeBox per room in my house. Remotes to access them and
    all my other electronics would be a nice change, now that my current
    universal remote (non-logitech) has a crippled IR output