Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Happy SB2 - Wireless Signal Strength to Stream FLAC's ?

Just wondering if I have something a miss as I'm sure I have read that peoples SB's have worked with 30% or so signal strength.

Mine has trouble in the high 50's anything less and SB2 says I need more signal to work...please!

Just wondering if 50-60% is a normal cut off for streaming FLAC's ?

(I've a G+ wireless router)

not sure if signal strength takes any account of interference, which is often a problem... tried changing channel?

Ceejay

Try using Net test plugin to see if you can get about 2500kbps @100%. This is a short burst test so interference won't show up.

The Server health may also highlight transmission vs other problems.

If you are using windows - another indicator of the quality of the connection can be found with the TCP statistics - from a command prompt window "netstat -p TCP -s". Unfortunately this is for all TCP connections but high no. retransmits is one indicator of interference.

I'm on channel one and another network that shows up everynow and then is on ch 6.

Maybe there is other interference near to ch 1 maybe i'll give it a bash on another ch cheers for the tip

HMmmm I've been a bit worried about my server for a while now it sometimes just wants to rest and take ages to do anything - maybe it goes into a go slow work state even when its left doing nothing....May need to be shiffted up the prority list!

ran the netstat -p TCP -s and had 4 retransmits which I guess is not all that high compaired to the other nos.
    Cheers for the tips

Interference can come from other sources (e.g. cordless phones, microwaves) and not just other Wifi installations.

Low retransmit count is good but does not mean something else could be happening.

You should give the Server health menu a try and see if it throws up something such as a slow server (e.g. badly behaved plugin) .

Can you provide more details on the symptoms of the "trouble"

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    Interference can come from other sources (e.g. cordless phones, microwaves) and not just other Wifi installations.

Low retransmit count is good but does not mean something else could be happening.
    Arha I did of course do the retrans test when it was working fine, will try it again when the SB signal drops and my SB stops!

You should give the Server health menu a try and see if it throws up something such as a slow server (e.g. badly behaved plugin) .

Can you provide more details on the symptoms of the "trouble"
    My so called 'server' is an XP desk top....
    Have tried the spybot thingy all ok
    Have router firewall and pc firewall
    Virus bits and bobs running

I'll have to have a check next time the music drops out to see if the xp pc is having a bit of a slow moment, and run the retransmit thing again.

As to any differences in operation of anything on the pc or indoors nothing really changes, so I guess its the 'server' pc or an external occurance that causes the drop in signal......

Thanks for the help so far and look forward to any other suggestions you may have - Cheers

If you are using windows - another indicator of the quality of the connection can be found with the TCP statistics - from a command prompt window "netstat -p TCP -s". Unfortunately this is for all TCP connections but high no. retransmits is one indicator of interference.
    Music just dropped,
    Checked device manager and Network Utilization has dropped,
    CPU Usage, varying between 3 & 22ish%

Ran the netstat -p TCP -s
    and instead of before showing 4 its showing 179 retransmitts -
    So does this mean interference is my problem?

Just fired up the laptop, shows 73% signal strength, even sitting next to the SB which is showing between 19&35% it still shows 73%, and no other networks around.

Hmmmm
    I'm lost
    Could it be my little SB not happy?

Please elp somebody

don't forget there are other sources of interference than wireless networks, eg microwaves and cordless phones. Have you tried channel 13?

Ceejay

The retransmit count is just indicative that something has happened that interrupted network comms. It doesn't say which connection needed the retransmits. It could be the result of interference, PC hanging (e.g. dodgy disk) or SB reset or even internet comms if you had something else running.

I think you should enable Performance monitoring under "Server & network health", reset the counters, play some music and see if something shows up

Quote Originally Posted by Deaf Cat View Post
    Just fired up the laptop, shows 73% signal strength, even sitting next to the SB which is showing between 19&35% it still shows 73%, and no other networks around.
    Don't go by this, apps for wireless NICs in laptops use totally different measurement standards, usually hopelessly optimistic.

The two measurements will never match.