Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

iTunes WAV -> AIFF adds volume adjustment field info

Hi folks,

After reading here how AIFF files store tags in them and how WAV files don't (so if my iTunes database got screwed I would be in a pickle for example as regards 'year' and 'genre' tags that at present sit nicely in my iTunes library!) I decided to use iTunes to convert a few WAV to AIFF to check sound quality (don't ask I know they are identical) and low and behold I do get tags when I look at the AIFF file on my music folder directly with Slim Server. But I also have a 'volume adjustment' field and it has a value in it - now I wonder why this is? I haven't asked iTunes to adjust volume and neither have I asked Slimserver either? And what on earth is it comparing itself to to decide on the volume adjustment?

Anyone have any clues?

:-)

I'm not sure how volume adjustment got in there, but you can disable SlimServer doing anything with it in Player Settings - Audio - Volume Adjustment/ReplayGain (last item).
    Last edited by Mark Lanctot; 2006-10-01 at 15:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lanctot View Post
    Note you still don't have tags because AIFF doesn't support tags. SlimServer is reading the "tag" information from the iTunes database.

If your iTunes database gets corrupted you will lose all this info.

I'm not sure how volume adjustment got in there, but you can disable SlimServer doing anything with it in Player Settings - Audio - Volume Adjustment/ReplayGain (last item).
    "AIFF is a common uncompressed audio file format, and is compatible with Apple Macintosh computers. Note that AIFF files can contain ID3 Tags, so the AIFF format is ideal for importing uncompressed audio into software that understands ID3 tags, such as iTunes"

This qoute taken from Riptastic!Ö AIFF Encoder - methinks AIFF uses consumer 'ID3 ' chunk tagging to store tag info, not the pro chunks used by other Apple software.

Incidentally, when I look at AIFF files in Slimserver I look at them by browsing the music folder which is not the same drive iTunes music is stored on and the file in question is not indexed in the iTunes library at all (it was copied to the other drive so cannot be referencing the iTunes database). A similar WAV file given the same treatment does not display this info at all.

Info is:

Title: Crawling up a Hill
    Artist: Katie Melua
    Album: Call Off The Search
    Genre: Jazz
    Track: 2
    File Format: AIFF
    Duration: 3:25
    Volume Adjustment: -9.67 dB
    Year: 2003
    File Length: 36,239,488 Bytes
    Bitrate: 1411kbps
    CBRSample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    Sample Size: 16 Bits
    ID3 Tag Version: ID3v2.2.0
    Date Modified: Sunday, October 1, 2006, 9:57:04 PM

Anyway - about this 'Volume Adjustment: -9.67 dB'...anyone have any inside info on where iTunes got that from when it made the file originally..?

Huh. Well sorry for the incorrect info. I'll revise my post.

Still not entirely sure why you're not using a lossless, compressed format like FLAC or ALAC.

I assume you double checked that the WAV original doesn't have iTunes volume adjustment set?

And that iTunes Sound Check isn't set?

Steve.
    Last edited by SteveEast; 2006-10-01 at 16:23. Reason: Add extra question.

Yeah I thought that Steve, but no the original doesn't have volume adjustment set - tried converting another track later just to see and that had a volume adjustment also - perhaps it's an iTunes 6 bug (not tried 7 as worried it will mess up something :-)

Actually this isn't a big concern as Slimserver doesn't use the info...just wondered thats all.

I just tried something similar - converted an AAC track to WAV and then AIFF with iTunes 6. No replay gain showing in SS or dBPowerAmp.

Got me stumped...

What was the original source of your WAV files? Ripped with...?

Steve.

They were ripped with EAC, to WAV and then iTunes via iTunesEncode - just checked and haven't got EAC nomalise switched on - strange :-/

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    They were ripped with EAC, to WAV and then iTunes via iTunesEncode - just checked and haven't got EAC nomalise switched on - strange :-/
    Normalization isn't recommended, and even if you did turn it on, it doesn't write any tags because WAV can't be tagged. Instead it permanently alters the audio data - which is why it's not recommended!

Quote Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
    I thought iTunesEncode wrote .M4A files? Or does leaving off the -o cause it to just do the iTunes tagging?

Steve.