Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hybrid View

Mobile interface for SqueezeNetwork?

I asked this question in an older thread but I thought I would pose it here also since this is more targeted. I use Windows Mobile PDAs to control my SlimServer with a SB3. The handheld web interface of SlimServer works great with my 1/2 VGA device and my small Windows Smartphone.

Since I upgrade from the SB1 to the SB3, I love the fact that I can stream Pandora music and Internet radio (sports talk radio junkie here) without turning on my media server by connecting automatically to SqueezeNetwork.

Now for the problem. When I try to log on to SqueezeNetwork with my mobile devices I get an error that says:

"Your browser does not support the SqueezeNetwork NetControl"

The assumption is that SqueezeNetwork was not developed for mobile bowsers. So, I have to walk up to the SB3 and use the remote to control or have my laptop running to control the SB3 from the SqueezeNetwork site (not a good option when I'm outside trying to listen to music in the back yard).

The question is, does anyone know if a development is coming anytime soon that will allow control of the SqueezeNetwork site through a mobile device? Does anyone know of a work-around that would allow the mobile browsers to successfully log on and control the SB3 through SqueezeNetwork?

Thanks in advance all!

Mobile interface for SqueezeNetwork?

On Sep 18, 2006, at 2:21 PM, tuaski wrote:
    >
    > The question is, does anyone know if a development is coming anytime
    > soon that will allow control of the SqueezeNetwork site through a
    > mobile device? Does anyone know of a work-around that would allow the
    > mobile browsers to successfully log on and control the SB3 through
    > SqueezeNetwork?

The answer to this is no, as the only PDA I have is a Palm Vx. We
    plan to introduce an API to control SN so it will be possible in the
    future to build your own web interface to SN.

Opera browser for PDA's works with Squeezenetwork

The opera browser does work well.The only thing that doesnt work
    is the thumbs up and thumbs down buttons with your pocket pc as far as I can tell

How does one use the opera browser with SqueezeNetwork? Does the music stream through the PDA (on which Opera is installed) instead of the SqueezeBox? Do you also need SlimServer installed on the PDA, besides Opera? And you have to be within range of a wi-fi (or type g) broadcast signal, right?

Opera is used just like any other browser on SN: it is used to maintain the favorites list and control the players. The player have to be a hardware SqueezeBox or a software SoftSqueeze. It doesn't stream to the browser itself. In short, Opera acts as a controller, not as a player. Sorry to dash your hopes.

Quote Originally Posted by marlar View Post
    Opera browser for PDA's works with Squeezenetwork
    Opera Mini (J2ME app for cellphones) doesn't work, unfortunately. It *almost* works...but there's some javascript error and the list of players doesn't show up.

I'd be pretty psyched to control SqueezeNetwork (in particular Rhapsody) from my (non-PDA, but 3G) cellphone. But when the API is implemented, it'll be possible to write an app to do that.

(Still, it would be pretty cool if SqueezeNetwork were compatible with Opera Mini...)