Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SB sonos or olive style remote

Why doesn't Slimdevices make a remote similar to the Sonos or the one now available for the Olive? about 200.00
    They both have screens with a nice gui................so much easier this way.
    I know a macbook could be set up to do this but that is cumbersome.

Of course the SB is such a bargain I bet you guys could make something for less:-)

But I would even cough up the 200.00

So please, take my money.

BTW I just got the SB....it's a great product that sounds fantastic in my high-end system through the digital outs.
    So I don't mean to complain...............I just want you guys to make more money:-)

The Sonos remote is a lot more than that, around $400. And what remote does Olive have? I don't see one anywhere on their site. Are you referring to the Sonata, which is priced at $200? The Sonata is more like an SB. You need to plug it into a stereo or powered speakers (http://www.olive.us/p_bin/?cid=01_02_sonata03 ), and with those cords trailing around it's not meant as a remote control. Maybe I'm just overlooking something, but I don't think I've ever seen a picture of any remote control for an Olive. But maybe I just got too impatient with the #$%@# Flash "tours" on their website.

That said, I agree that a remote with a GUI would be a nice *option* for Squeezebox and Transporter. Keep the simple cheapo remote as the standard remote, but make a pricier one available for those who want it. In the meantime, either a WiFi enabled PDA (with the Touch skin or SlimRemote) or Nokia770 (with Ben's skin) makes a pretty nice gui remote much like the Sonos.

cunobelinus@mac.com

SB sonos or olive style remote

Can it? I didn't know that! Do you have a reference/URL at which I
    can see how, please?

Cunobelinus.

On 16 Sep 2006, at 17:38, tomjtx wrote:

> I know a macbook could be set up to do this but that is cumbersome.

Just point your web browser to http://slimserverip:9000/ , where 'slimserverip' is the IP address or the name of the computer that is running slimserver. This way you can control the squeezebox(es) from any computer on your network, not just the one running slimserver.

You can also specify the skin you would like with http://slimserverip:9000/SkinName

So you can have http://slimserverip:9000/Handheld on a handheld or mobile phone (works well with a SonyErocsson W800 with Opera) and leave the default for managing everything on a desktop or laptop

cunobelinus@mac.com

Re: SB sonos or olive style remote

That's very kind, both of you and Funkstar. Thank you both. That's
    something I really should have discovered a long time ago, so now I'm
    going off to write out 1000 times "I really, really must read the
    manual"! (Thank you for not saying it for me, too. It was very
    forbearing of you both).

On 16 Sep 2006, at 18:42, aubuti wrote:

>
    > Just point your web browser to http://slimserverip:9000/ , where
    > 'slimserverip' is the IP address or the name of the computer that is
    > running slimserver. This way you can control the squeezebox(es) from
    > any computer on your network, not just the one running slimserver.

sonata etc

Sorry, I think I got that wrong.

The sonus remote is 350 and their player is 399 so it is a lot more.

I wonder what SD would need to charge to make something that was similar to control the SB and or the Transporter.
    I would think buyers of both units would be interested.

I dont think I need the transporter since I have a pretty high end DAC. there might be a lot of people like me who like the price of the SB because they don't need what the transporter offers, but are willing to spend more for.
    a good remote

the macbook option is woking great.
    I would rather not hassle with the setup to connect the Nokia although it looks great.
    Surely SD could put out something atyor below that price that is plug and play?

As they say in Spain: De illusion tan bien se vive

Quote Originally Posted by tomjtx View Post
    the macbook option is woking great. I would rather not hassle with the setup to connect the Nokia although it looks great.
    Surely SD could put out something atyor below that price that is plug and play?
    I've never seen a Nokia770 in real life, but my impression was that it wasn't hard to set up. It's pretty much a dedicated WiFi web browser, using a special version of Opera. Just type in the same URL that you type into the macbook and go.

OK, that sounds easy and I might just buy the Nokia tonight.

I was refering to Ben's skin for the Nokia.
    It looks great. A very intuitive gui.

Since I now know I can use the Nokia like I do my laptop I can wait till the bugs are out of the skin.

For a musician the SB is one great device. I am able to access many interesting stations with a quality far superior to Itunes.
    The only problem is that it's one more temptation not to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by tomjtx View Post
    I was refering to Ben's skin for the Nokia. It looks great. A very intuitive gui.
    Not only does it look great, but he has taken advantage of newer web technologies (AJAX) to make it much more responsive than the other skins.