Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Can my PC and SB3 access my networked music library remotely?

I have a SB3 in two separate locations and my music library stored on a networked drive in location #1, and I bring my laptop (running SlimServer) back and forth between location #1 and #2. I have LANs in both locations and am using DynDNS to obtain a static address for LAN #1. If it matters, my laptop runs XP Pro sp2. Is it possible to access my music library on LAN #1 from my laptop and second SB3 on LAN #2? (Streaming mp3 to LAN #2 wouldn't work for me because I would need to need my laptop at LAN #1, or buy a second PC.) I've tried several variants on addressing my music library remotely in SlimServer with various ports open and can't get it to work, though I may not be using the right protcol (or port?). I realize I could just buy a network drive for LAN #2 but that would be less convenient and way less fun. If this set-up isn't possible, does anyone have a suggestion for the least expensive/quietest/smallest PC to get as a dedicated SlimServer for LAN #1?

I'd suggest just running SlimServer on Lan #1, rather than just storing your music there and running SlimServer on a laptop which isn't always a member of Lan #1. Then you could just allow remote access, and setup a port forward on your router (you can call me at support and I can walk you through this). It's actually quite simple. However it does require SlimServer to be running on a machine that will permenantly reside on lan #1 (actually anywhere, just needs to be permenant).

In other words, have a computer (or anything that can run SlimServer and store your music) and have it set to a static IP on your LAN (or static DHCP). Then configure your router for port forwarding. Then simply point your software player to stream from http://<external_IP_of_lan#1>:9000/stream.mp3

Completely up to you on what you want to put together for a cheap/small/quiet computer. I'd suggest a shuttle, but I'm biased
    Ross L

Ross L

Ross,

Thanks for your reply. The shuttle looks enticing ("the absolute divinity of elegance" as shuttle's website says) and I may go this route ultimately, especially considering that I probably will find more uses for a dedicated server on my home LAN (LAN #1) once I have one. For the time being, though, can I infer from your reply that if I take my laptop ("server") with me wherever I go, it is not currently possible to use my laptop as a SlimServer at another location to stream or access my music from LAN #1, even if I have a SB at the remote location (LAN #2)? I've described these two locations as "LANs" for simplicity, but really they are both residences and I currently only have one computer (aside from a WIN95 laptop and a Nokia 770), that I always have with me, and was hoping to avoid duplicating my music library at LAN #2 in the interim between now and buying a dedicated LAN #1 server.

why not run slimserver on the extra (win95?) laptop at the location your library is?

not sure if slimserver runs on 95 but you can install another operating system on the laptop?

lrossouw,
    I don't think I can run Slim on Win95. (I tried, unsuccessfully, though maybe not correctly.) I'd thought about installing XP but I don't think my P90 laptop can handle it (not to mention the 700MB HDD). I hadn't thought about a non-WIN OS since I don't know anything about them, but I'm game for that if it will work since I no longer use the P90 laptop. I don't want to mis-direct my own thread (unless the answer to my original question is "no"), so I'll search the forums over the next few days for info on this. Thanks for suggesting another alternative.

not sure how easy it is to get linux running on an old laptop, but may be worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by lrossouw View Post
    why not run slimserver on the extra (win95?) laptop at the location your library is?

not sure if slimserver runs on 95 but you can install another operating system on the laptop?
    Running SlimServer on Win95 can be done, however it might be worth looking into other options. I believe SlimServer 6.1.1 and before will run on Win95.
    Ross L

Quote Originally Posted by Ross L View Post
    Running SlimServer on Win95 can be done, however it might be worth looking into other options. I believe SlimServer 6.1.1 and before will run on Win95.
    How about Windows 98SE?

I'm selling my SB3 (no, not leaving Slim, getting a Transporter!) but the guy who's most interested is running 98SE.